Taking my HTPC to the next level
Rear case mount of PSU input;

Mostly done;

SSD where it is supposed to go, notice the tray is sitting on TOP of the chassis, it needs to go underneath and it won't fit because of the idiotic 3.5" drive mount.

This is what the tray looks like outside of the chassis. The sheet metal is too thick to be easy to bend or cut.

Maybe I could cut it with this!.... naaaaa

Here's my temporary workaround, just screw the drive directly to the frame. So cheesy (I am embarrassed).

IR mounting position. Too bad the sensor is a piece o crap.

voip-ninja Wrote:Maybe I could cut it with this!.... naaaaa

that would be the wrong tool for this job!Laugh

it's the same knife i use for hunting and fishing!

as far as ssd placement, you can stick it to anywhere w/ double sided tape-

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
The problem is that the drive tray piece stiffens, stabilizes and positions the top of the chassis. Without it there is flex in the top of the chassis.

So, I either need to cut/bend/mangle the stock drive tray, or I need to fashion a replacement from tacking strips, etc.
Okay I have had a bit of a breakthrough. It occurred to me that the stock cooler might actually be easier to fit around than the Kozuti, since the stock cooler is actually smaller at the top.

I installed it and sure enough with just a little bending, I was able to get the stock tray installed with my SSD (and maybe in the future an OD.

So, the i3-2100 stock HSF can be made to fit in this enclosure if you are willing to not use the 3.5" drive bay for anything.
Here's what it looks like now; As you can see I had to bend one of the 3.5" bay ears a bit to clear the cage on the stock Intel cooler, but it's really not a big deal, and if I decided to sell this chassis down the road it should still be useable by someone else.

voip-ninja, looking at the back of your ITX7, it seems you have an expansion slot. Is that right? Could you fit a TV Tuner card in there?
Yes, there is an expansion slot, if you find the missingremote.com review of this case I believe they can tell you what tuner cards, etc, will fit.

I am quite happy with this case. It is expensive, but it is much much higher quality solution than the MI008 and it's quite a bit quieter too since the PSU is completely silent and external to the case.

About the only thing I need for it now is a good internal IR solution that will power the box off/on and do all of the MCE6 commands... AND have good range, etc.
Thanks! I just found the missingremote review. Tempting! PicoPSU are not cheap though... Since you also had the A4-3400 before... do you think it will easily fit in the ITX7?
@voip-ninja: Since you like to tinker ... did you ever consider getting a HP USB IR receiver from e-bay and ripping the board out of it and putting that inside your case?
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
wsume99 Wrote:Since you like to tinker ... did you ever consider getting a HP USB IR receiver from e-bay and ripping the board out of it and putting that inside your case?

Been there, tried that.
Balinus Wrote:Thanks! I just found the missingremote review. Tempting! PicoPSU are not cheap though... Since you also had the A4-3400 before... do you think it will easily fit in the ITX7?

Stock HSF, not sure since I never used it. If the cooler is same size or smaller than the i3-2100 cooler then probably.
voip-ninja Wrote:Stock HSF, not sure since I never used it. If the cooler is same size or smaller than the i3-2100 cooler then probably.

Great, I've found the following info for the height of the A6-3500 : ~44mm. Pyrospawn posted his numbers for the A4-3400, which was about 46mm.

The i3-2100 is 54mm and the i3-2100T is 36.5mm.

So I guess I'll have an extra cm with the A6-3500. Smile

The placement of the 3.5" HDD is over the metal tray? Or is it under, between th metal tray and the HSF ?
Balinus Wrote:Great, I've found the following info for the height of the A6-3500 : ~44mm. Pyrospawn posted his numbers for the A4-3400, which was about 46mm.

The i3-2100 is 54mm and the i3-2100T is 36.5mm.

So I guess I'll have an extra cm with the A6-3500. Smile

The placement of the 3.5" HDD is over the metal tray? Or is it under, between th metal tray and the HSF ?

The 3.5" HDD is under the metal tray you see in the photos, where the lower "ears" are is where the tray attaches to the HDD.

You will not be able to use the 3.5" HDD and any normal sized heatsink under there, would need to be a super low profile cooler, like an Atom or E350 or something.

Remember that I had to slightly bend one of those ears on my tray to get it to clear around the HSF, the trick also is to insert the tray front to back not side to side, just slip the front part under the lip of the chassis front and then flex the back part of the chassis enough to slip the tray under the rear screw holes and it's in there. You'll probably be able to figure it out pretty easily.

I just wish that Wesena would wise up and make a tray that eliminated the 3.5" ears. Would make this case extremely flexible for many more cpu/mobo combinations.
Great, thanks for the info! I guess I won't use a 3.5" HDD. I don't plan on using the ODD either, as they use a left located eject button... !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Taking my HTPC to the next level0