[LIVE] Unrar/unpack .rar directories remotely, using the command line?
I can't believe I searched and couldnt find this asked, but is there a way to get my XBMC Live machine to unrar stuff i've downloaded? Probably using the command line? I've been using transmission for ages, and everytime i get a rar archive, i've logged in with SFTP from my mac, transferred the folder to my mac, unrar'd it, and just sent the .avi file back over the XBMC Live box. Bit tiresome, and now i'm using sickbeard, it wont move the files over to the correct folders because they've not been unpacked.

Does anybody have a solution?
Many options...

1) login with ssh and run the command in command line
2) Install sickbeard for tv series and it will do it for you
3) You probably can get tranmission to do it for you using a plugin or something
4) login with something else e.g. nxserver and do it in a GUI
5) xbmc can play rar
hey thanks for your reply, i can't seem to find anywhere in sickbeard that says it can do this task, but am trying a script now with transmission to see if it works.
Hm..maybe sb doesn't do that. But xbmc do play rar.

BTW, get the sorttv script it does unrar and rename the files. Great script!
cool, sorttv looks pretty good too. sickbeard is fine if i download just an .avi, but wont move the files if the .avi file doesnt exist (ie, it hasnt been unrar'd). will sickbeard be ok with moving the file if another program has done the job of unraring it and leaving the .avi in the same folder as all the rars?
Can't anyone here just answer the question?? Shocked

What you want is:

1. SSH onto system.
2. $unrar e InsertRarFile.rar
3. cp/mv your file to where you want.

Or use the "x" option on unrar to extract the full path/directories.

If you don't have the unrar command you need to "apt-get install unrar".

In regards to sickbeard, yes, it's awesome. Sickbeard, however, does NOT unrar files for you. Sabnzbd/Deluge/Transmission are expected to do that. Sickbeard processes folders looking for media files (torrents tend not to be compressed anyway) and sabnzbd automatically unrars as they are only compressed to work around limitations on news servers.

After you've unrared your file you can manually process it via CLI or the web UI. Just go to Home->Manual Post-Processing in the web gui. Or call the python script directly with the file after it.
Media/Gaming PC: i5-3550, 8GB DDR3, Gigabyte GTX 580 SOC, 120GB Sandisk SSD, 2TB Hitachi, Silverstone LC20B, Windows 8 with XBMCLauncher + Steam integration
Desktop: Intel [email protected], 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte GTX670 SOC running Windows 8
Server/Nas: Xeon 1230v2, virtualised Ubuntu 12.04 with Sickbeard + TransmissionBT (headless) + Sabnzbd
Quote:Can't anyone here just answer the question??
What now? I did suggest that but it is also the most stupid way to do it unless you download one file per week. It should of course be scripted.
meathane Wrote:cool, sorttv looks pretty good too. sickbeard is fine if i download just an .avi, but wont move the files if the .avi file doesnt exist (ie, it hasnt been unrar'd). will sickbeard be ok with moving the file if another program has done the job of unraring it and leaving the .avi in the same folder as all the rars?

sickbeard is designed for Usenet, together with sabnzbd, which will unrar for you.
Torrent support in sickbeard is still not so great.
In both cases its up to the downloading program to unrar.
vikjon0 Wrote:What now? I did suggest that but it is also the most stupid way to do it unless you download one file per week. It should of course be scripted.

TV Shows contained in a rar are rare for torrents and completely useless on usenet (given that they are already split and rard, you would have recursive rar files).

Given that most torrent programs unrar via a script it may not be ideal as it may extract files for other torrents you may not want done.
Media/Gaming PC: i5-3550, 8GB DDR3, Gigabyte GTX 580 SOC, 120GB Sandisk SSD, 2TB Hitachi, Silverstone LC20B, Windows 8 with XBMCLauncher + Steam integration
Desktop: Intel [email protected], 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte GTX670 SOC running Windows 8
Server/Nas: Xeon 1230v2, virtualised Ubuntu 12.04 with Sickbeard + TransmissionBT (headless) + Sabnzbd
Sickbeard actually seems to work great for torrents. I've just come back from a week away, and it's downloaded everything well, (not perfectly tho). A few odd things i've noticed:

1. if the torrent contains JUST the avi of the tv show, SB (normally) handles it perfectly as i want (moves it to the correct show/season folder, renames it nicely, then deletes the original avi file from the /Downloads folder. Good
2. If it's got another file with it (like say "downloaded from demonoid.txt"), then the two files (.avi and .txt) end up in a folder, a subdirectory of Downloads. Sickbeard handles this fine, apart from the clean up stage (ie, it doesnt delete the original .avi in /Downloads/24.S01E04.DVDRIP/ for example, or the folder for that matter).

couple of episodes were added twice, couple of shows it wouldnt move because the 'show isnt in my list' when it is, but all in all it works pretty good

oh and maybe it's a coincidence, but since i've installed sickbeard, transmission's average speed has dropped from 500-800kbps to and average of 35- EDIT: it was a coincidence

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Unrar/unpack .rar directories remotely, using the command line?0