My First HTPC - Llano based
bluray Wrote:If you want quality stuff, $99 shipped is not that bad. My friend paid $150 for it not very long ago!

im all for that, trust me, however... here's the thing for me,,,
to make it quick, i have no choice but to use an Harmony remote,
i got too much stuff i need to control,
and its so convenient to just use 1 remote in general,,
including controlling XBMC!
TV / XBMC / SOUND SYSTEM / CABLE BOX

now, for the web surfing part..
yeah, u need a mouse and keyboard,,,
so ok, the Logitech dinovo mini could suit my needs.
but here's the thing..
i cant accept to control a mouse cursor using a touchpad or trackball..
i absolutely need my Gyration Air Mouse for that,,,
i cant do without it, thats me...
have wii like point and play controls is just wow!!

then comes the keyboard typing part,,
i need a separate keyboard!
not big, but, small enough to type with, chat with it!
so far im using the MICROSOFT ARC keyboard,
works really great, but no backlit :/

if only the rii mini would have worked great,
it would be my keyboard of choice since i really liked it.
but since it poor quality, it was unusable...
but idea behind it is really good!
if only logitech could take it in their hands..
I'm a fan of remote controllers. I stack up my remote controllers for PS3, XBOX 360 Kinect, Directv, HTPC, HDTV and AVR in one of this- Remote Caddy with Leather Coaster Set. I used to have a Harmony remote, but I never catch on with a single remote solution. I sold it just a couple months later. For HTPC keyboard, I always have one of this in the pouch- HP TouchPad Wireless Keyboard. There is nothing easier to type and browse than a full size keyboard! Smile
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
see, that HP keyboard is almost exactly like my ARC one,,,
except u get normal bottom right arrows and i get a weird button...
but weird button works great i have to mention.

see, if HP would have made it Backlit, man, it would be a winner!!
I use two Lenovo Wireless Keyboards on my windows xbmc boxes, I find them really superb to use for the basic typing and xbmc requirements.

I use also an app called constellation on my iPad to actually control XBMC most of the time too.
So no video still? hmm im gonna make one and post.. Since we almost have the same setup Smile
Gonna post a video later Smile have anyone gottn 24p playback to work on this settup? For me the video aint going smooth, the sound is behind. Just dosent work. I think i have read somewhere that Xbmc eden with ATI card dosent go hand in hand with 24p playback..

Any suggestions?
I got a new camera for Christmas that can shoot 720p. I might have time tonight to shoot that and then youtube it.

I would have to make an actual effort to find 24p content or check if any on my existing content is that format to see if there are any issues. I am still learning this whole new vocabulary when it comes to video. I am still running Dharma though, so no Eden feedback yet for this setup.
You just need to activate 24p view in video settings.. its right under the DXVA2 option.

creed3020 Wrote:I got a new camera for Christmas that can shoot 720p. I might have time tonight to shoot that and then youtube it.

I would have to make an actual effort to find 24p content or check if any on my existing content is that format to see if there are any issues. I am still learning this whole new vocabulary when it comes to video. I am still running Dharma though, so no Eden feedback yet for this setup.
Solviken Wrote:You just need to activate 24p view in video settings.. its right under the DXVA2 option.

That must be an Eden only setting because there are no options below the hardware acceleration settings in Dharma that reference 24p.
creed3020 Wrote:That must be an Eden only setting because there are no options below the hardware acceleration settings in Dharma that reference 24p.

It's :

"Adjust display refresh rate to match video
Activate to automatically set the refresh rate which is best matched with the video that is playing (default off). This potentially allows for perfectly smooth video reproduction, as video material can be recorded in a variety of frame rates (23.976fps, 24fps, 25fps, 29.97fps, 30 fps, etc.) which need to be properly matched by the refresh rate of the display, in order to be displayed smoothly. "
Ahh i got the 24p to work Smile Had to turn of the "True Full Screen option " in systems settings Big Grin Now it works flawless Big Grin
creed3020 Wrote:Hello all,

I am a new user to these forums but I wanted to provide another example of a Llano based HTPC running XBMC on Windows.

Hardware:
Silverstone MILO Series ML03B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case [Link]
ASUS F1A75-M PRO FM1 AMD A75 Motherboard [Link]
AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU [Link]
Patriot Viper Xtreme Series, Division 2 Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 [Link]
SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W [Link]
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SATA II SSD [Link]
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 32MB Cache SATA II HDD [Link]
AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet - PCTV Tuner [Link]
SAMSUNG 8X Slim Internal DVD Burner [Link]
BYTECC Bracket-535 5.25" Metal Tray for 2.5", 3.5" HDD/Slim DVD [Link]
StarTech SLSATAADAP Female Slimline SATA to SATA Adapter [Link]
Prolimatech Samuel 17 Compact Low Profile Heatpipe CPU Cooler [Link]
SILVERSTONE AP121 120mm Case Fan [Link]
SILVERSTONE SCOOL81 80mm Case Fan [Link]

Review:
For my first HTPC I wanted to use the new Llano platform and waiting for the APUs was really difficult but I finally decided on the A8-3850 over A8-3800 due to the lack of availability. The Silverstone case was both a blessing and curse to work with. It was lots of work to route all of the cables but it also provided me an opportunity to be creative which was actually quite fun to figure out. One of my key goals was to maximize the amount of 3.5" hard drive space. I found an adapter to make change the 5.25" bay to a combination of slim DVD and 3.5" hard drive. This will allow me to have up to three 3.5" drives for around 6-9TB of storage space. One of the trickiest things to find was an aftermarket cooler which fits inside the case. After a two months of searching I finally found the Samuel 17 by Prolimatech. The only catch was finding a quiet but powerful fan. I went with a Silverstone Air Penetrator because of the great static pressure and quiet operation. So I am very happy with the reported temps and I can't hear any of the fans from the couch which is perfect. I am using Windows 7 Professional x64.

[/url]

Comments and questions are welcome!

How are you using the SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W with a 120mm intake fan when the intake vent below the power supply is only 80mm? I would think the airflow into the PS is constricted causing a heat build-up (overheating) and also some additional noise.
Very nice !

I almost bought that very case. I decided on the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811163166 Still waiting for it to arive

I cant see your photos as im at work but cant wait to get home to see them

Also for those asking about keyboards I use the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6823191008

Its light, fast, and I couldn't find how far it could reach, at least in the house
Jetster Wrote:Very nice !

I almost bought that very case. I decided on the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811163166 Still waiting for it to arive

I cant see your photos as im at work but cant wait to get home to see them

Also for those asking about keyboards I use the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6823191008

Its light, fast, and I couldn't find how far it could reach, at least in the house

What is diameter of vent in GD05B under power supply mouting area? What power supply are you using?
Jetster Wrote:Very nice !

If you have room the bigger case is always better and easier to work with and upgrades.

Jetster Wrote:Also for those asking about keyboards I use the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6823191008

As for the wireless keyboard, I use this "A Bluetooth® keyboard that completes your PLAYSTATION®3 experience" for about 3 years now. It is very responsive, have very good ranges and it works from any angle. I used it on 5 different PC so far, and it can connected to all 5 PC with ease.

If you are interesting in a smaller Bluetooth keyboard/mouse, this one "HP TouchPad Wireless Keyboard" is very sleek. I used it at a friend house, and I liked it.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My First HTPC - Llano based0