[Eden] Bad performance for 1080p
Hi I have htpc running with a a4 3400 inside, win7 x86, xbmc eden nightly

however when i play 1080p video with xbmc its dropping frames all over the place, the same file in vlc player runs smooth...

I enabled hardware acceleration (dxva2), does anybody know what is going wrong and if it's fixable?

cheers

jiq
Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC then wait a minute or two for all the startup tasks to finish. Start a 1080p video, wait until it starts dropping frames then stop the video and close XBMC.

Open the debug log by pressing Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.

JR
here you go: http://pastebin.com/Gr6ETh4q

I'm running a build of two weeks old, because the current ones are not able to play dvds on my setup. (It suddenly broke, with the newer builds)

I played avatar and it starts dropping frames right from the start when the 20th century fox logo shows up

I have a few more bugs but I noticed that the forum doesn't really react on bug postings Tongue should I put them in the bug tracker?

cheers
Try going into System settings, System, Video output and disable "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen".

I will normally respond to bug reports if I can make sense of them. The trouble is that not everyone agrees on what constitutes a bug report. For example, your posting above of problems playing 1080p doesn't constitute a bug report because it's too vague. There could be lots of things causing the poor playback. To me a bug report is something I can reproduce when I run XBMC in a debugger. I suggest discussing issues in this forum first, and then creating a bug report only if we can pin down the problem.

JR
That seems to fix the issue however, it will put some restrictions on launching applications from xbmc. Is this the only way and since I'd like to understand, could you explain what the difference makes here? Eek

As for the bug reports, I know exactly what you mean. However, the problem here is that for a person that isn't familiar with the system it is quite hard to judge what is useful information and it can be quite cumbersome to find the useful information without hints. long story short, if somebody tells me where to look I'll tell what I see Smile

many thanks for the help so far Big Grin

cheers
XBMC uses the Windows DirectX interface to display video. By default XBMC uses a DirectX mode that is fast, but that won't share the display with any other apps. This is XBMC's "true fullscreen" mode. If you enable the "Use a fullscreen window ..." setting this tells XBMC to use a different DirectX mode that will share the display with other apps. However this mode is slower, and as you've found this can cause poor video playback.

There's not a lot we can do about this as the problem is in Windows rather than XBMC. Some people find the fullscreen window works OK, while others find it unwatchable, and it isn't clear what determines how well it works. On my development PC (2.4GHz Core2 Duo, NVIDIA 9400GT) 720p movies generally play fine in fullscreen window mode.

JR
Ok so the bottom line is that my setup isnt powerful enough for the multiscreen dx mode... bummer, well I can probably make xbmc minimize when launching apps that should do the trick

would you like help me root cause some other bugs/issues I found? If I know someone will help me for sure, I'm more than willing to try more scenario's and see whether I can consistently reproduce everything...

The issues I found are:
- When xbmc is started without explorer running it will not see that there has been a new disc inserted. Causing the option to start a dvd to disappear and not return... (I think this one is known, personally I think the dvdstart button should only disappear when there is no DRIVE not when there is no DISC), I 'fixed' this by removing the visibility conditions in the home.xml file.
Even if explorer is running it is annoying to have control disappear when you open the tray...

- since last weeks nightly, xbmc doesn't play dvds anymore, I get the loading inidication in the lower right corner, it flashes a few times and then it goes away. or the background turns black and it looks like its playing something but everything stays black (I can make a debug log for this and add some screenshots)

- The "Start movie from the beginning" option when you start a movie doesn't always work. (I can reproduce it easily however at the moment I don't know the shortest path to the issue, I'll figure that out as well) debug log as well?

- when I download subtitles I sometimes have to stop and restart the movie before they are loaded, this feels to be related with the one above since I have to do the same steps to make it work again...

so... wanna help?
I suspect Explorer is generating the notifications when a disk is inserted. If so there isn't much XBMC can do about this. As for the play button only showing when a disk is inserted, this is a personal preference and I'd be surprised if there was any enthusiasm for changing the current behaviour.

If you post a debug log showing a DVD failing to play I will have a look.

JR
[dvd-button] What xbmc could do is provide some sort of fallback mechanism which does not depend on that message for example: Don't hide the dvd button and wait for the notification (it may not come)

[dvd-fail] I'll add logging in a few hours (after I get back from work ;-) )

cheers
ey JR, sorry for the delay this is what I got

http://pastebin.com/qVU42E9F

I installed latest nightly

- Start XBMC (DVD already in tray)
- Start DVD (fail)
- Eject Tray
- Close Tray
- Start DVD (fail)

Moments before I've been watching the same dvd with the nightly of 3 november. That works fine. After installation of the new version it worked until I opened and closed the tray... now it won't play anymore.

thanks for your efforts and time

cheers
Hmm, that looks a bit like the problem described in http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=115804

I wonder if there is a problem with the current nightlies. I recall seeing mails that work is being done on DVD playing.

JR
I suppose so, since it used to be working fine, well I just keep testing new nightlies every week or so to see if it is fixed Tongue

btw xbmc should read album art from the mp3 tags right? Are there any restrictions on that? In some cases it refuses to do so for me... and how can I force xbmc to regenerate the thumbnail cache?
I've never looked at the tag reading code, but XBMC certainly reads album art from tags in my mp3s. If you have some mp3s where this fails try retagging them with MP3Tag or similar and see if the problem persists.

You can't regenerate the thumbnail cache, but you can delete it and let it rebuild. From the userdata directory delete the cache directory and delete Database\Textures*.db. There are two cache directories, one in %appdata%\XBMC and one in %appdata%\XBMC\userdata. I'm not sure what the difference is so i'd delete them both.

JR
I tagged this album with mp3tag... the strange thing is that I did exactly the same as for another album and there it works but here it just won't... In explorer the image shows so I'm sure its correctly put in the file, could it be because of the directory structure somehow?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Eden] Bad performance for 1080p0