HDMI Multi Channel Audio
eangulus2 Wrote:How can that be the problem?

I have a Samsung 55" Series 7 Smart TV

I have had DVD and Bluray Players and other computers, hooked up in the same way.

That is HDMI to TV and Optical to AVR.

There is a setting in the tv to send all sound to the optical which is what it has set for everything.

And everything else can play and passthru multichannel.
I'm not familiar with your HDTV, but it seems that somewhere in between your HTPC and AVR is missing something. You're HTPC have to see a capable AVR for it to pass-through properly. In this case, your HTPC cannot see your AVR. I built 4 HTPC so far, and I never have any problem pass-through audio with HTPC>AVR>HDTV via HDMI cables.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I understand that.

After some research on Google it seems that when using a PC in the setup I am trying to do the PC picks up the settings from the TV hence only 2Ch as the TV has only 2CH.

So in saying that at this time I cannot afford a new AVR yet (planning on it as soon as I can though, looking at an Onkyo TX-NR809).

Anyway to tie me over untill then, what about if I got a Sound Card that has a Coax output.

I know Optical is best but here is what I have:

AVR has 1 Optical and 2 Coax inputs.
TV ONLY has Optical Out

So I can have Optical between TV and AVR
And then use a Coax from HTPC to AVR.

If this will do for now, any reccomendations on a sound card? PS: I have plenty of PCI slots free and I also have a PCIe x1 slot free.
Rainbow 
Try using an EDID override to trick your PC that your TV has 5.1:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227161

Summary:
-Use program MonInfo to create .inf of your TV and receiver
-Ask user "Tulli" to merge the audio information from your receiver's .inf into your TV's .inf (or attempt to learn how to do it on your own)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...03&page=51
-Update PC's Generic PnP Monitor driver with new custom Samsung .inf
-Reboot and have a beer.
-Sober up and report back here if it worked.

-Nik
eangulus2 Wrote:So in saying that at this time I cannot afford a new AVR yet (planning on it as soon as I can though, looking at an Onkyo TX-NR809).

Anyway to tie me over untill then, what about if I got a Sound Card that has a Coax output.

TV ONLY has Optical Out

I'm always like to keep thing simple. I would spend $200 on the Onkyo below. It has the latest AVR built-in the subwoofer enclosure for a very clean and sleek design. You can connect the existing surround sound speakers to it to make 5.1 surround sound system too. It'll be able to decode all audio codecs.

Onkyo HTX-22HDX Ultra-Compact HD Home Theater System
I believe in not wasting money on interim measures.

For me and my future needs, I would prefer the bigger TX-NR809 or similar.

Anyway just to let everyone know, I fixed it. For now.

I had a DVI/Component/Optical switcher that I used to solve some connectivity issues I had with an XBOX XBMC.

It has a HDMI+Optical Out and it has HDMI/COMPONENT/OPTICAL/DVI in.

I have hooked up the PC via HDMI to the Switcher. Then I put the HDMI out from switcher to TV and then an Optical from Switcher to AVR.

All is working great and I even get DTS.

I think this is a solution I will stick with for the time being untill I get myself a new AVR.

And by the way, Thankyou to everyone who has helped me out. Pretty much the first time I have really needed help and the response has been fantastic. Very much appreciated.

Now while I am here, I will be needing to fully setup and tweak my new box. I have read various things regarding MPC-HC but can't see what benifits it really has and if I really need it.

Also what is best to use for things like the Rendering methods and all those video settings in XBMC. Remember I have a nVidia G210 card.

Looking for best picture quality with least amount of CPU usage. and I only need to support upto DTS for sound at the moment.

Also any other tips and tricks for an 8 year XBMC4XBOX user to XBOX Windows convertee? I have already seen there is so much more I can do that just isn't possible on an XBOX.
eangulus2 Wrote:I understand that.

After some research on Google it seems that when using a PC in the setup I am trying to do the PC picks up the settings from the TV hence only 2Ch as the TV has only 2CH.

So in saying that at this time I cannot afford a new AVR yet (planning on it as soon as I can though, looking at an Onkyo TX-NR809).

TV ONLY has Optical Out

If this will do for now, any reccomendations on a sound card? PS: I have plenty of PCI slots free and I also have a PCIe x1 slot free.

So indeed, what I actually suggested in my first post was indeed your issue, your connections were indeed not as I said... Passing to your tv and onto your avr will/can indeed cause this issue, which is why I suggested PC-AVR-TV.

Pat~
eangulus2 Wrote:I believe in not wasting money on interim measures.
I know! But if you want to enjoy all the latest technologies, you have to give up certain thing for it. ONKYO TX-NR809 is a nice AVR, but you can achieve the same result with a model for a fraction of the price- Onkyo HT-RC260 7.2-Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black).

eangulus2 Wrote:Anyway just to let everyone know, I fixed it. For now.

I had a DVI/Component/Optical switcher that I used to solve some connectivity issues I had with an XBOX XBMC.

It has a HDMI+Optical Out and it has HDMI/COMPONENT/OPTICAL/DVI in.

I have hooked up the PC via HDMI to the Switcher. Then I put the HDMI out from switcher to TV and then an Optical from Switcher to AVR.

All is working great and I even get DTS.
I wish that we're on the same page since the start of the discussion. We wouldn't have to waste a lot of time on it. If everything is fixed, congratulation and enjoy it! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI Multi Channel Audio0