Want to buy HTPC for XBMC, must read
It’s a shame the xbmc community hasn’t embraced one single hardware platform like the original XBOX way back in the day. I understand and think it’s amazing that XBMC is trying to be more and more cross platform compatible. But the larger community you can get running on 1 (very good) piece of hardware the better. For every problem/configuration issue you run into, ten others already have and possibly figured out a solution.

Requirements:
1. Smooth 1080p video playback (sorry 3D viewers ur on your own)
2. Quiet
3. Quick boot (the few seconds @ most)
4. Don’t waist electricity (unless your super rich, then it makes no diff)
5. Storage
6. Torrent downloads
7. Remote

When I picked up the revo years ago I was hoping more people would to have a nice large community running the same hardware, don’t get me wrong there are enough out there to find *almost* any problems you’ll have… but not all! But it still seems to be one of the largest single supported bases for XBMC, another commonly used piece of hardware is apple TV (but you need to hack this and I hear there are ongoing annoyances with FM upgrades and such). I paid $200 for my revo over 2 years ago and it handles 1080p flawlessly (but there was a lot of initial setup involved, may want to look at the XBMC-freaks release as its has the much needed nvida drivers baked into the ISO)… that’s as much as ill say, remember this is a hardware recommendation guide not a setup guide. Also skins have to be considered here, the latest and greatest skins are ALWAYS worth it, so far I havnt run into one skin that my box can’t handle (even with the extra options like sliding background turned on) fyi Aeon Nox is the best one ive found so far.

Revo is as quiet as it gets, I think there is only one VERY small fan in there and I have never heard it even go on, when im watching a movie I don’t want to hear the buzz of a power supply or case fan.

Unfortunately the boot time with the revo isn’t that impressive, to solve this I never shut it down. It always goes into sleep mode instead (this comes with a few glitches, like loosing nav sounds Undecided but nothing major) the revo supports S3 and once in sleep usually almost no power, best option out there considering I now have instant boot times. This also lets me turn on/sleep the revo via remote

Putting the revo into sleep instead of a full shutdown isn’t the greenest solution, I’ll admit it… but for instant boot I don’t think there is anything that uses less. And because I would consider the revo more like a laptop instead of a desktop it uses a small little DC converter like a router, needs no fans for PSU cooling and uses far less than a conventional desktop.

NAS is the key, I went with a drobo because it’s so simple and I don’t lose sleep when a drive dies. But they are over prices especially in today’s market. When I got mine years ago there were very few other options that created the same ease-of-use & drive failure environments. Let your budget decide which one you get but the key is a NAS. I think you can even run torrent clients natively on the drobo but I have never tried (this would eliminate the need for #6)

Netbooks! If your NAS does not have a torrent program built in or you just want more flexibility than they give you setup a small “server” to be nothing more than a torrent downloading machine (let’s face it that’s where you are getting all your watchable programs). I went with a $150 netbook with nothing special @ all, it sits right next to my drobo and uses virtually no power as well because that’s the nature of a netbook. I installed utorrent and configured it to move completed downloads directly to my drobo when completed (I would avoid direct download to the nas as the constant slow stream of downloading never lets it sleep which can be taxing over time) I don’t even open the netbook screen, I always remove desktop from my main PC, I think utorrent has remote option built in if you want to go that step farther.

Get yourself the cheapest USB IR receiver on the internet you can find. After that buy a Harmony remote, they have VERY expensive models but they also have $30-$40 units that do the job. The reason I like that remove is because you can configure individual button presses on your computer which gets programmed to the remote.

That’s it! I don’t get why people spend $2000 on the top CPU / Vid card just for a HTPC running XBMC? And still have hard drive costs on top of that? Any desktop computer will be far too big to look good in any home theater setup as well as have a noisy power supply (I’ve never seen a silent 600+w power supply) and excluding 3D there is nothing more than 1080p this thing will need to do

Anyhow this is just my 2 cents, im sure there are 101 different opinions on which hardware to get exactly but ive had this type setup for 2+ years now and have yet to see a variation of this that I would consider better!
Good luck,

-aPeg
The reason there are so many platforms being developed for is because there is no one 'perfect' platform for everyone.

In direct contrast to your findings, I am looking to build something to replace my Revo because its not perfect for my use.
My main issue with the Revo is that it is so slow to render photos in the picture's section of XBMC. Even with the dds caching for thumbnails it is painfull to use for viewing my photos. Photography is my favorite hobby and XBMC is a great way to look through my pictures on my 65" TV but the Revo just doesnt have the horsepower to quickly open large photo files.
Especially when you have folders that may have 1000 12mb files in it.

Dont get me wrong, the Revo has served me well for the past 2 years and will get good use on a bedroom tv. BTW, a hacked ATV2 is even enough for most people (I have 2 myself!).
But for my main unit I want/need something more powerfull.

I like that there are options available at many price points depending on the users needs...

Edit to add: Almost forgot a big one. The Revo's arent even being made any more. So I would hate for the developers to concentrate on one box that would go the way of the dinosaurs...(like the xbox1...)
excellent point, my use is 80% video 20% mp3's... i have the base revo 1600 (with max ram and an SSD upgrade), but for more $$ they do sell stronger units? would they be any better for images?

My main goal is to keep my home theater setup clean and quiet… and seeing a lot of buddies of mine attempt it via ATX and microATX cases can get it close, but not as nice as the revo

ohh and as for the XBMC developers.... don't change a thing, of course we cant have them concentration on one hardware platform, its bad for the future of XBMC... I would just like to see a large "chunk" of XBMC users on the same hardware for ease of configuration. dtviewer as a revo user i dont have to remind you the pains of setting it up lol resolution, nav sounds...
scratch that... even if you have a super computer, having your photo's via NAS would be the bottleneck. For requirements like yours the storage drive would have to be local and off hand I don't know of an elegant way to keep that silent and small...
Im disagreeing with some of what your saying. The beauty of the open source environment is that its flexible and evolves to create a personal devise that does exactly what you want it to do. Ive built a system for about $600 that's quiet, doesn't use a NAS, never needs to be restarted, goes to sleep 15 min after you use it using 0 power. Uses on-board graphics. Plays MKV, AVI, DVD, ISO, and gets so many internet channels that Ive pretty much canceled my cable subscription. It has three fans. One 120mm in the 450W power supply that I a barley hear and a 90mm in the case that I cant hear and a CPU fan that I can hear if it speeds up but never does. I used an old Dell 2400 case that I almost threw away about 4 times. I plan On buying a HTPC case but I need to get a new cabinet first. Ill admit its not for everyone, I love to problem solve so there have been frustrating times when setting it up but that's the beauty of this whole experience. No one has one like mine. People are shocked when they see what it can do.
Hey Jetster,

the MKV...internet channels are all constants of XBMC, that all works on my setup also. When it comes to size / sound im a perfectionist, I've even played with some of the more expensive case fans that claim to be silent, and although they are good... when it comes to a suspenseful quiet part of a movie i don't like hearing any humm lol

Ive seen a bunch of very nice HTPC cases but none are as small as the revo (on par with a Wii in size)

And the Nas solves 2 problems, one is getting the noisy drives away from the HT setup... unless your have the cash to raid up a couple TB of SSD's there is no mistaking the sound of a spinning drive haha second is (not if) but when your storage drive dies. Im sure everyone with a nice collection has run into the issue of the storage drive dying and its a pain. I find any redundant raid as a good answer, and yes this could be built into your HT case via raid controller but that has its drawbacks of having to open it up every time something goes wrong or you need to add space.

But dont give the revo too much credit, its not like this will be an out of the box solution... there will still be ALOT of setup and configuration that people can get their feet wet with.

and here lies the beauty of a revo, you wouldn't need to get a new cabinet... the revo is so small you could tape it to the back of your TV if you wanted lol

-aPeg
Only problem with the Revo is lack of bitstreamming. A guy in my office has one and it's fixed to VESA mount of his TV, looks amazing.

I agree though size and power consumption wise it's hard to beat. Didn;t realise they're now discontinued.
I have my Shuttle XS35GT fixed to the back of my TV furniture (home made fix). Silent, very low power consumption and does what I want it to do - stream up to 1080p without problem.

No surround sound though... (which I don't yet "need").
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Want to buy HTPC for XBMC, must read0