• 145(current)
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
That is perfect.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi!

I'm using a standard xbmcbuntu 12.04, and i would like to use XBMC with the XVBA support, as it seems to be the only solution to solve 2 issues I have (Live-TV freeze and dual monitor hot swap).

I can see on the first page of this thread that there is an iso of the xbmcbuntu 12.04 with xvba support. Is it possible to use it without re-installing the entire distro? Is there an available list of the files I could copy from a dummy install (in a VM, for exemple) to my current install, in order to use the new features?

Thanks,

PS: I'm using nvidia video card
Frédéric
The iso mentioned on the first page is not the version you are looking for.
You can start with xbmcbuntu but you need to remove xbmc and install from wsnipex ppa xbmc-xvba-testing:

sudo apt-get remove xmbc xbmc-bin
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-testing
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin
Ok, thanks!
Frédéric
Just to add, that will install "latest and greatest" - if you want to be on the safe side and run more (probably) stable version, replace the
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-testing

by
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-frodo

If you want to make sure, that you run into severe breakage from time to time (which helps us most), keep the testing branch. I also suggest do run a
Code:
sudo apt-get (dist-)upgrade

after the above commands, to make sure all dependencies get installed
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Ok!
Frédéric
grrr Smile
fmafma wants xvba-testing. Recent changes for multi-head setups are only in xvba-testing.
:-)
Ok, I installed the xvba version. Here are the results:

1) the tvheadend client does not start anymore; it says that there is an error. I didn't dig further in the logs to see what's going on. Is it a known issue?

2) If I boot when the projector is switched off, and then switch it on, I don't see it in the settings. This time, it appears if I restart lightdm, and I can switch on it. The monitor does not show any image anymore (but remains active).

3) But if I then let the configuration on the projector, and boot with the projector switched off, the image on the monitor remains black. If I switch on the monitor, I can see the image.

So, it is still not possible to dynamically switch from on to the other if theyr are not both switched on at startup. Closer than before, but...

Could it be possible to have a mecanism based on xrandr, monitoring the outputs, and then send a signal to XBMC so it can refresh its config, and ask the user what he wants to do when a new screen appears, or switch back to another output if a screen desappear?

Aout the tvheadend error:

Code:
20:25:30 T:2845793088 WARNING: Unable to resolve: XBMC_Tvheadend.pvr ADDON_Announce, reason: /usr/lib/xbmc/addons/pvr.hts/XBMC_Tvheadend.pvr: undefined symbol: ADDON_Announce
20:25:30 T:2845793088   ERROR: Unable to resolve exports from dll /usr/lib/xbmc/addons/pvr.hts/XBMC_Tvheadend.pvr
Frédéric
I've just followed the guide to install XBMC on AMD Ubuntu.

Having problems with audio now despite everything running smoothly. It was fine beforehand - with choppy video high CPU and many other problems, audio was all that worked.

Code:
xbmc@kier:/home/kier$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]

In XBMC, I only have two Audio Output Device options - HD-AUDIO GENERIC, ALC892 DIGITAL S/PDIF and HD-AUDIO GENERIC, ALC982 ANALOG.

I assume I need 0,3 - but for whatever reason, it refuses to appear. Can anyone help? I've searched and checked the Wiki to no avail.
(2013-05-14, 20:24)fmafma Wrote: Ok, I installed the xvba version. Here are the results:

1) the tvheadend client does not start anymore; it says that there is an error. I didn't dig further in the logs to see what's going on. Is it a known issue?

2) If I boot when the projector is switched off, and then switch it on, I don't see it in the settings. This time, it appears if I restart lightdm, and I can switch on it. The monitor does not show any image anymore (but remains active).

3) But if I then let the configuration on the projector, and boot with the projector switched off, the image on the monitor remains black. If I switch on the monitor, I can see the image.

So, it is still not possible to dynamically switch from on to the other if theyr are not both switched on at startup. Closer than before, but...

Could it be possible to have a mecanism based on xrandr, monitoring the outputs, and then send a signal to XBMC so it can refresh its config, and ask the user what he wants to do when a new screen appears, or switch back to another output if a screen desappear?

Aout the tvheadend error:

Code:
20:25:30 T:2845793088 WARNING: Unable to resolve: XBMC_Tvheadend.pvr ADDON_Announce, reason: /usr/lib/xbmc/addons/pvr.hts/XBMC_Tvheadend.pvr: undefined symbol: ADDON_Announce
20:25:30 T:2845793088   ERROR: Unable to resolve exports from dll /usr/lib/xbmc/addons/pvr.hts/XBMC_Tvheadend.pvr

Did you follow my advice and installed xvba-testing which is XBMC 13?
(2013-05-14, 20:24)fmafma Wrote: 2) If I boot when the projector is switched off, and then switch it on, I don't see it in the settings. This time, it appears if I restart lightdm, and I can switch on it. The monitor does not show any image anymore (but remains active).

After a few tries, I have been able to see the automatic switch. But there is a problem: when switching from monitor (1024x768) to projector (1280x720), the resolution remains the monitor one, and I can't select a new one, as the projector resolution does not appear in the menu...

(2013-05-14, 20:52)FernetMenta Wrote: Did you follow my advice and installed xvba-testing which is XBMC 13?
Yes.
Frédéric
I should add, I have a trinity series CPU (A10) so upgraded as per your suggestion.
fmafma please enable debug logging in avdanved settings and pastebin debug log.
I had to switch back to mainline (frodo) release, as my wife wanted to see TV programs Wink

I will make more tests later.

Thanks for your help!

PS: BTW, using the Appearance setting menu leads to a X restart...
Frédéric
  • 145(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs23