720p Videos on ATV2
Hello,

i'm new here so first off a big thanks to everybody who contributes to XBMC. I have been using it on the xbox and i'm very happy to see that it's still the best mediacenter out there Smile

I've got an AppleTV 2 wich is connected to a projector via HDMI and to a Stereo DAC/AMP via Toslink. I understand that XBMC for the atv2 is still in an early development stage and that it won't have enough power to do what a bigger HTPC can do. I also understand that there will be great changes/improvements in the audio and video engines after the release of Eden. So i just want to give feedback and hope someone finds it interessting. (i don't want to complain about stuff that is not working). And please excuse my english, it's not my native language Wink

So here's my first bugreport:

I am having trouble playing back most of 720p content. Of course i hope that xvid will work as well with the new ffmpeg later, i think .h264 videos should be playing back smoothly. On the latest nightlies and the beta that's not the case anymore for me. I'm running everything in default settings (except as recommended here, I've set Audio to 16-bit in backrow and audio output to optical in XBMC).

As an example for this thread i'd like to take a video that runs fine in backrow, but keeps dropping frames and audio in XBMC. Even if i download it to its local flash it will drop many frames. We should get this running before that movie is released Wink

Here it is:

Prometheus 720p Trailer from apple.com
mediainfo
xbmc.log
output of "top" on idle and on playback

Platform: AppleTV2
iOS 4.4 build 9A334v (3140), untethered jailbroken using Seasonpass
XBMC Eden Beta 1 from cydia
installed step-by-step from the instructions in the FAQ
From your log
"[email protected] detected, VTB cannot decode with 2 ref frames"

Means unsupported format. So no hardware decoding. Software decoding with ffmpeg, hence the problem.
bastards !!!!!, now I have to change the code again.
newatv2user Wrote:From your log
"[email protected] detected, VTB cannot decode with 2 ref frames"

Means unsupported format. So no hardware decoding. Software decoding with ffmpeg, hence the problem.

yes, the cpu is at 100% while playing those apple trailers, but they all run fine (vtb hw accelerated i guess) from the native apple tv menu.

so maybe vtb can handle it? when searching i've found this commit. davilla, would the following change be worth a try? i hope it makes sense at all, i'm not a dev Wink

if (profile == 77 && level == 32 && m_max_ref_frames != 4 && m_max_ref_frames != 2)
...oh great thanks!
mediainfo
XBMC.log
syslog from last crash

using the same setup and settings as above, except that i'm trying to play these files from my macbook (using afp sharing over wifi), it keeps crashing and reloading / rebooting randomly on these videos. it has worked fine before in earlier nightlies. now it will run fine with no buffering or stuttering and suddenly just reboot after about 20 minutes (sometimes its even about an hour, so a small sample won't be working as a test). also i didn't have debugging turned on, i'll post an update of the xbmc.log as soon as it crashes again.

here's the updated xbmc.log

update #2:
oh well, on those videos i believe the files are a bit corrupt or something like that: i just tried to resume this one and i doesn't work. then i've tried using mplayer on my mac and it crashes at the same time. i can skip to a point after the time when the video crashes and it runs fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
720p Videos on ATV20