Blurred....or at least not sharp video
I've just managed to get XBMC working (used to use it on Snow Leopard) on Lion 10.7.2. I have managed to get a AFP share to my public folder (so far... will try later to share my external movie drive)

So...I dropped a movie file into my shared public folder. The movie file is an avi. It plays perfectly in Media player (firecore aTVFlash)....but is blurred in XBMC. That seems strange to me...XBMC was fantastic when i used Snow Leopard.

Any ideas what could be the issue?

I'm still Jailbroken on 4.2.1. Should I update my JB?

Thanks in advance.
2. things.

1. Get us a screenshot from both (blurred, nonblurred)
2. Its not the best idea to have XBMC and firecore media player installed at the same time - because both could interfer with each other and make XBMC crash for example.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:2. things.

1. Get us a screenshot from both (blurred, nonblurred)
2. Its not the best idea to have XBMC and firecore media player installed at the same time - because both could interfer with each other and make XBMC crash for example.

Hi Memphiz...

OK....I will try and work out how to do that later tonight. Many thanks!

m
Is that file a fullHD file (1920x1080)? I have played those files and noticed that they are not even played at 720p (the native output of ATV2 for all files up to 720p).

If you set the scale factor to "normal" you can see, that it is played with much less than 720p (black frames top, bottom and left, right)...

So, if zoomed up to full output (720p) such a film will look worse than a 720p movie...

I guess it has to do with videotoolbox and the fact, that we don't know every detail about that thing. We can be very glad about having HW acceleration at all.

But maybe this is not related at all.....

EmKay
WTF? I can't believe that one ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Try it for yourself.
emkay Wrote:Try it for yourself.

not seeing it on my ATV2. 1080 movies playing (at 720, obviously) on my ATV2 look great.
That is strange. I tried it about a month ago with several different files (mkv and m2ts with h264 + ac3 sound) and all had the same issue.

But I will check that when I'm coming home from work...
Step back from your HDTV screen, issues that show up while sticking your eyeballs 6 inches away from the screen will not be resolved.
I can reproduce this error: Choose "original size" or whatever that term is for engrish Wink

There you will see that the video is NOT 1080...

EmKay
emkay Wrote:I can reproduce this error: Choose "original size" or whatever that term is for engrish Wink

There you will see that the video is NOT 1080...

EmKay

if you take the time to actually look in xbmc.log, you will see that 1080p content is being resized when decoding. Memory bandwidth issues regarding decoding 1080p, then scaling it 720p. Future version might revert this as we learn more about the atv2.

Until then, it plays so don't worry about it. If you want a device that is the ultimate in playback quality, then the atv2 is not for you, you will have to spend more than $99 to get that, much more.

EDIT: the original post was about avi's being blurred. Lets stick with that discussion as avi's are nowhere near 1080p and have no relation to what we do to 1080p content. In fact, if those avi's do not contain h264 (mpeg4 part 10), then VideoToolBox is not even being used to decode them.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Blurred....or at least not sharp video0