Tvheadend record problems
Hi All,

I am having problems lately with Tvheadend and recording shows. This is the error I am getting:

Quote:Jan 22 18:56:48 subscription: "DVR: ITM Fishing Show: Classic Episodes" subscribing on "TV3 PLUS1", weight: 300, adapter: "Montage Technology DS3000/TS2020", network: "Freeview", mux: "Freeview: 12,456,000 kHz Horizontal (Default)", provider: "TVWORKS ", service: "TV3 PLUS1", quality: 100
Jan 22 18:56:49 dvr: Recording error: "/media/recordings/ITM Fishing Show- Classic Episodes.mkv": Unable to open file

Anyone know what that is about? I have made sure there is space for the recording.

Cheers,
Bernie.
Does TVheadend have permission to write to that folder/disc?
Begall Wrote:Does TVheadend have permission to write to that folder/disc?
How do I check that? I did a recent update of tvheadend maybe the permissions have changed?

I start tvheadend from the daemon line in /etc/rc.conf so it should default to using the "video" group.
I have my recordings directory and contents with "myuser.video" permissions ..

This only really started happening when I added a new tuner card ..
Anyone? I am in the bad books with the wife .... can't record
Bump! .... help please Sad
You could (unsafely) make the directory 666, which gives read write to everything.

Code:
chmod 666 -R /media/recordings/

This WILL not be safe, but should let anything write to it...solving the immediate problem.

Let me know!
oneadvent Wrote:You could (unsafely) make the directory 666, which gives read write to everything.

Code:
chmod 666 -R /media/recordings/

This WILL not be safe, but should let anything write to it...solving the immediate problem.

Let me know!

Yep, that did work. But I don't know why I should suddenly have to do this, as far as I can tell all the directories/files have video group and tvheadend is meant to use that groups permissions by default .... maybe tvheadend has changed that in a recent update ..
I did not have to do this for mine. Perhalps there was a weird issue with your user permissions. It really shouldn't make a difference, I mean who goes in and steals your copy of Jeopardy that is 10 times the size they could just download it for?

I always thought security on linux was a bit strange, the directory I care most about is my home directory and it has the least permission blocks. I'd rather the system crash than to have to redo my home folder.
My guess is that you recently upgraded from 2.12 to a 2.12.99 pulse build. Between those two versions, TVheadend moved from running itself as 'root' to its own user, 'hts'. Hence why you needed to change the permissions on the recording folder in order to let hts write to it.
just check that you have hts user and group called video, and change the owner of the folder to this user and group
SupeReuven Wrote:just check that you have hts user and group called video, and change the owner of the folder to this user and group

I don't have a hts user. I am running xbmc from my user session and tvheadend from the daemon script ..

Do I have to create a "hts" user and change ownership of the recording directory to hts.video? If so, how will xbmc get on reading the files, I guess it should be ok if it doesn't write to that directory ...

Thanks,
B
I'm having the same issue. My son desparately wanted me to record a program for him that was on after his bed time, so I hit the record button in XBMC, but when the program was over and I went to play back the recording, it wouldn't play (my son was *very* upset at me for this). XBMC had recorded just fine in the past, but that was before an update to the newer pulse branch of tvheadend.

I also do not have an hts user on my system. I'm not sure how to safely go about creating one without potentially messing something up. Would this help, and how do I do it?

I do have an hts group, however.

SupeReuven: I do not understand what you mean by "check that you have hts user and group called video". How do you call a group another group?

I have tried dpkg-reconfigure tvheadend, and it does let me set its administrator to a specific user. The default is my main user account. So, I've set the tvheadend administrator to my main user account, created a recording folder in that user directory, and set permissions on that folder to include hts and video groups. I then set the recording path in the tvheadend web UI to that directory. It still gives me this error. I cannot record anything.

Please help! I need to be able to record, otherwise I will not have a very happy family! Thanks!
I wanted to change the default recording directory to a folder in my Videos folder call PVR-recordings. Change the folder to Tvheadend's user and group:
Code:
sudo chown hts:video ~/Videos/PVR-recordings

Check if it has the correct user (hts) and group (video)
Code:
ls -la

Everything will work at this point, but keep going if you want to give yourself full access. Check which groups you are currently in (htpc is my default user and group - so change htpc to your user name):
Code:
id htpc

Then give yourself access to all the groups you want access to (keep sudo as one of your groups - MAKE SURE NOT TO LOSE SUPER USER PRIVILEGES!!!):
Code:
sudo usermod -G htpc,sudo,video,hts,adm,dip,plugdev,fuse,lpadmin,sambashare htpc

Check if you have access to the right groups:
Code:
id htpc

PS: You could use the quicker chmod 666 suggestion previously given, but this is how to do it if you want to be type A about it and it doesn't take much longer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tvheadend record problems0