Request for a couple more aspect ratio flags
Would it be possible to add a couple more flags for a couple more aspect ratios?

2.55 : 1 - cinemascope

2.76 : 1 - 70 mm (MGM Camera 65 / Ultra Panavision 70)

Maybe it's an odd request, but I really like having as accurate as possible movie info.

If there is any info you need from a couple examples, I can supply.
unless they are supported by xbmc (i don't think they are?) there's nothing i can do.

xbmc provides the aspect-ratio info to the skin
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
ronie Wrote:unless they are supported by xbmc (i don't think they are?) there's nothing i can do.

xbmc provides the aspect-ratio info to the skin

Oh, I thought it was skin dependent. For example, confluence doesn't differentiate between 16:9 and 1.85:1 titles (it just lumps them all as 16:9) but I saw that other skins like T! did differentiate them.

I exported one of my titles that has a wider ratio as a single file and this is the stream info:

Code:
<streamdetails>
            <video>
                <codec>h264</codec>
                <aspect>2.758621</aspect>
                <width>1280</width>
                <height>464</height>
                <durationinseconds>9569</durationinseconds>
            </video>
            <audio>
                <codec>dca</codec>
                <language>eng</language>
                <channels>6</channels>
            </audio>
            <subtitle>
                <language>eng</language>
            </subtitle>
</streamdetails>
i had a peek at the xbmc source-code, so you can see which acpect-ratio values can be used by xbmc:
PHP Code:
// Given that we're never going to be able to handle every single possibility in
// aspect ratios, particularly when cropping prior to video encoding is taken into account
// the best we can do is take the "common" aspect ratios, and return the closest one available.
// The cutoffs are the geometric mean of the two aspect ratios either side.

if (fAspect 1.4859f// sqrt(1.33*1.66)

return "1.33";
  else if (
fAspect 1.7190f// sqrt(1.66*1.78)

return "1.66";
  else if (
fAspect 1.8147f// sqrt(1.78*1.85)

return "1.78";
  else if (
fAspect 2.0174f// sqrt(1.85*2.20)

return "1.85";
  else if (
fAspect 2.2738f// sqrt(2.20*2.35)

return "2.20";
  return 
"2.35"
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
ronie Wrote:i had a peek at the xbmc source-code, so you can see which acpect-ratio values can be used by xbmc:

Ok, thanks for checking on that. Looks like xbmc does have to support the aspect ratio for a skin to display it.
ronie Wrote:i had a peek at the xbmc source-code, so you can see which acpect-ratio values can be used by xbmc:

Maybe the values are still remainders from the XBOX days and may need updating according to new available techniques?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Martijn Wrote:Maybe the values are still remainders from the XBOX days and may need updating according to new available techniques?

That's a good point
which additional ones would be useful?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_rati...ect_ratios
ronie Wrote:which additional ones would be useful?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_rati...ect_ratios

For what I've come across, I'd personally like to see:

2.55:1 and 2.76:1

used mostly during the 50's and 60's with some titles, Ben-hur, Lady and the Tramp, It's a mad mad mad world...
(2012-01-28, 21:27)ronie Wrote: i had a peek at the xbmc source-code, so you can see which acpect-ratio values can be used by xbmc:
PHP Code:
// Given that we're never going to be able to handle every single possibility in
// aspect ratios, particularly when cropping prior to video encoding is taken into account
// the best we can do is take the "common" aspect ratios, and return the closest one available.
// The cutoffs are the geometric mean of the two aspect ratios either side.

if (fAspect 1.4859f// sqrt(1.33*1.66)

return "1.33";
  else if (
fAspect 1.7190f// sqrt(1.66*1.78)

return "1.66";
  else if (
fAspect 1.8147f// sqrt(1.78*1.85)

return "1.78";
  else if (
fAspect 2.0174f// sqrt(1.85*2.20)

return "1.85";
  else if (
fAspect 2.2738f// sqrt(2.20*2.35)

return "2.20";
  return 
"2.35"

Where exactly is this snippet of code located if i wanted to play around with it?
(2012-06-19, 02:58)adrian ballard Wrote: Where exactly is this snippet of code located if i wanted to play around with it?

xbmc/utils/StreamDetails.cpp
I think there are a bunch that would be useful:

1.37:1 - Old academy ratio
1.66:1 - Plenty of films used this in the past
1.85:1 - Tons of films still use this today
2.20:1 - Rare, but still used
2.39:1 - Comment below
2.40:1 - This, the above, and 2.35:1 are just about every movie these days
2.75:1 - Some big films shot in the '60s on 65mm were this ratio (Ultra Panavision 70)

I use MySQL for my library, and I fail to see why the ratios need to be calculated to floating point numbers. Wouldn't it be easier if they were just strings, like '16:9,' '4:3,' or '1.85:1'? Most of my movies aren't calculated correctly, like 1920x1080 will sometimes show up as 2.4, and 1920x1040 will show up as 1, and then be labeled as 4:3 in the actual program.

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Request for a couple more aspect ratio flags0