Apple TV Gen 1 Install
How will I know it's finished? It was like that for over 12 hours.
I started running it again to see what happens. I noticed some information that made me wonder if it is running correctly, so I took a picture. I don't know how to post pictures here & the only thing I found said to go to the user control panel & create an album, but I don't seem to have this option. Here's the link I was reading.

http://forum.xbmc.org/faq.php?s=&do=sear...tlesonly=0
Hmm, did you see any text at all on the screen while everything was running? If not, you may want to try another USB thumbdrive.

I had to rebuild my ATV1 a last week. I downloaded the tool from stmlabs.com (Sam.Nazarko's site) built my thumbdrive as follows:
Distribution: Ubuntu 8.0.4
Installation Method: Internal Hard Drive

I then chose my USB thumbdrive from the Devices section and let the tool do its work. I then took the thumbdrive, powered down my ATV1 by unplugging it, inserted the thumbdrive into one of the rear USB ports, and then plugged it back in.

The ATV booted to the thumbdrive which started doing its thing. The longest portion was downloading the root image file. I just left it alone overnight. The next morning, I powered down the ATV, removed the USB drive and plugged everything back in. The ATV booted to XBMC like it should have.
That's basically what I did last night using the link provided in this post. When I looked at it this morning it still had a pink background, no text. I thought it might be done so I restarted the ATV & it went right back to booting up the Apple iOS. I am retrying the process again now & I am at the pink screen again.

When I started trying this I used the stmlabs.com site to get everything from & you saw what my results where from my first post.
I just looked at the ATV & the screen is still pink. Any ideas on what to do now?

If I didn't say it before, thank all of you for your help.
You're going to need to SSH into the ATV, if possible, and see what's going on. You can find the IP of the ATV, assuming it's got one, by using an IP scanning tool. There are several out there, just google for it. After finding the IP, get an SSH client, Putty is a good one, and SSH into the ATV (u/n and p/w should be "atv" without quotes). Take a look at any log files, check /var/log/messages, see what dmesg tells you, etc. It sounds like something is going wrong with either your thumbdrive or the ATV. The install process should be pretty much automatic and fairly easy.
I just tried to SSH into the ATV & was told "Connection Refused". I think this could be a sign that this isn't working.
I went back to the stmlabs.com website to try it again. The installer looked different than the one I had originally, so hopefully it will work this time. I'll let you know.
I'm getting closer. It seemed to run for a while & then I lost signal to the TV through th HDMI port. I was able to SSH in to the ATV. I restarted, but it obviously wasn't finished. I'm trying again now.

By the way, how long did it take for your ATVs to get to the reboot prompt?
A lot of it depends upon how long it takes to download the root image. For me, it took awhile because I was only getting about 100KB downstream when downloading. Once that's done, I think, the install routine then repartitions the hard drive and sets everything up. As I said, when I saw how slowly I was downloading, I just let it go overnight. The next morning, I rebooted.
I think I got it. I read your post & then got up to see if my wife was home when I noticed the XBMC screen showing. Now I just have to figure out how to get the screen resolution right. I can't seem to find an option for 1:1 pixel mapping on my TV (Avol 32" ALT3250M). I'll have to do some more research.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Thanks pumkinut for sticking with me until I got it.
I spoke too soon. I just pulled the USB & rebooted, right back into the Apple iOS.
blipside Wrote:I spoke too soon. I just pulled the USB & rebooted, right back into the Apple iOS.

Are you sure you chose the internal hard drive install method?

sounds to me like you are running it from the stick
Yup, that sounds about right.
Yes, you gentlemen are correct. I set up the USB stick incorrectly. I have fixed that now. XBMC seems to be working so far. I have noticed that the ATV remote isn't working, is this normal?

I also need to figure out how to fix my TV resolution.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV Gen 1 Install0