Ooops....Just fast-tracked myself XBMC heaven apparently
As a forum member pointed out that I incorrectly built a SERVER instead of HTPC. I thought I was building a HTPC + SERVER in one box. O well…Even the wife agrees that we were going to need a full setup anyway, so instead of spreading out the parts and money over a longer period of time, what the hell…Buy the whole farm now!

Current setup is this:
1 Sony HDTV connected to 1 Sony Blu-ray player (via HDMI cable)

Proposed setup is:
1 HTPC connected to the HDTV (via?? USB or HDMI? Is one better than the other?)
1 SERVER connected to HTPC (via? USB or LAN cable? Is one better than the other?)

So I have all the parts for the Unraid SERVER already done (in reverse order) Smile

Server is this: (thank you Eskro...very helpful)
CASE: LIAN LI PC-Q08B
CPU + IGPU: AMD A6-3500 3x2.1Ghz/2.4Ghz HD6530D FM1 65W
MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 CIR USB3.0 SATAIII EUFI mITX
RAM: Corsair vengeance 2x2GB
POWER SUPPLY: Seasonic SS-350ET
FAN: SilenX EFX-12-15 120mm 1400RPM 74CFM 15dBA

Now I need the HTPC. I think I better opt for a “ready made” solution? Less chance for me to fall down another rabbit hole at this point. HTPC is open for debate but was thinking of one of these based off Eskro’s numbering system:

1) Zotac ZBOXHD-ND22-U (Group #5 in Eskro’s list)
2) Zotac ZBOX-AD02-U (Group #6 in Eskro’s list)

Some of my “unknowns” are:
1) Issues with the 2 above mentioned “boxes” as the HTPC that I might not think of? Win 7 32bit or 64bit, Heat, noise, space for HDD’s, max RAM, min RAM required, other things you guys know of?
2) Need a remote control. Many have mentioned Logitech harmony remotes. I was thinking of the 650 or 700, but heard a lot of issues for the 650 with the battery pins being loose and effectively “erasing” settings because batteries became disconnected?
3) With a remote there has to be a receiving unit SOMEHOW connected to the afore mentioned Zotac box (or alternate HTPC box)…what are some of the “gotchas” with remote sensors and their connections to my purposed HTPC? Also if remote receivers have to be line of sight or have short cables, things like that…
4) Probably another stupid question but between all possible "boxes" (TV, Blu-ray, HTPC, and Server) are there preferred ways to connect them? (i.e. USB vs LAN cable? Or something else?)

This is certainly an education driving down this “Media Center” road but I believe (as everyone says) it will be worth it. Thanks for the help.
as of today, the Zotac ZBOXHD-ND22-U i the best HTPC preBuilt box one can get.
until the ZOTAC ZBOX ID82 comes out tho,,,,

now, as for remotes, its all in my htpc guide... i suggest a couple of them in cluding IR receivers..
(2012-03-21, 00:34)skyking376 Wrote: Proposed setup is:
1 HTPC connected to the HDTV (via?? USB or HDMI? Is one better than the other?)
1 SERVER connected to HTPC (via? USB or LAN cable? Is one better than the other?)

Connecting the HTPC to the HDTV shoudl be done with HDMI. Using USB isn't even really possible - they are both USB host devices.
Connecting the server to the HTPC should be done with ethernet cables. I would recommend placing the server in a different room, as it will be noisy.

(2012-03-21, 00:34)skyking376 Wrote: So I have all the parts for the Unraid SERVER already done (in reverse order) Smile

Server is this: (thank you Eskro...very helpful)
CASE: LIAN LI PC-Q08B
CPU + IGPU: AMD A6-3500 3x2.1Ghz/2.4Ghz HD6530D FM1 65W
MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 CIR USB3.0 SATAIII EUFI mITX
RAM: Corsair vengeance 2x2GB
POWER SUPPLY: Seasonic SS-350ET
FAN: SilenX EFX-12-15 120mm 1400RPM 74CFM 15dBA

Skyking could you please post what parts you have exactly.
I ask this because in a Previous Post you have parts for an Unraid server listed, but in the quoted above you have listed HTPC except maybe the case. And now you are stating the above parts are going to be used as an Unraid build, which I wouldn't do.
If you list what parts you have I can bet that alot of members on here, myself included, will help you through your parts and how best to use them either Unraid or HTPC.
The server case is great, didn't realise it had 6bays :O
if you run it on windows on either you should have no issue (I cant comment on linux)
Aim for about 4gig of ram "all round" - ram is so cheap why let it be an issue!
noise wise just make sure you pickup quality assure quiet fans like noctua fans.

-> I have a 650 and it's fine...I got it because I prefer batteries ( I have loads of high capacity rechargeables) thats how you should decide this one!
ALSO remember you'll need a CEC adapter or a IR receiver (search for HP one in forums)

You should try and use a hardwired LAN connection for between HTPC and server, i.e. Cat6 or Cat5e - anything that goes up to gigabit ethernet will keep you "in front of the curve" (futureproofed) for a good while Smile
If you have a AV Receiver then use that to hook everything up to the tv!!
Love XBMC too check this -> HERE (Last Updated: 25/01/2012)

check out the xbmcmediacentre.com competition!

My hate campaign on optical discs started young, sorry I can't help it. :rolleyes:
I do have all parts listed for the UNRAID server above. If it is over kill…that is fine, I learned plenty along the way. I was originally looking for “Eskro’s number 5” functionality but when he responded to my questions he found a few changes that would fit, did everything I wanted, plus more (made it a number 7 on his list) and price wasn’t much different. I don’t think I want to build another box (HTPC) so that is why I want to go the “pre-built” option.

Eskro mentioned “as of today, the Zotac ZBOXHD-ND22-U i the best HTPC preBuilt box one can get. until the ZOTAC ZBOX ID82 comes out tho,,,,”

I liked that idea VERY MUCH and started looking for the ZBOXHD-ND22 but can’t find it anywhere. Also looked for the ZBOX ID82 and apparently it JUST came out? If the new one (ID82) is out I would like to go for that one because the next time I will probably “upgrade/buy equipment” will be a long time off.

Am I not “googling” the right terms cause I can’t find either the ZBOXHD-ND22 or ZBOX ID82 anywhere? Either the ND22 is “out of stock” everywhere I have found or the ID82 is too new and not listed anywhere yet??

The reason I liked the idea of one of these boxes is that there was the possibility to mount it on the back of the TV using the VESA mounts. Certainly not required but a nice possibility. I also have appreciated all the input about remotes and will probably go with the harmony 650 (AFTER all these other components are purchased and put together). Thanks to all for everyone’s input…it has been extremely helpful

yeah the ZBOXHD-ND22 kinda reached the end of its life,,,
they dont produce them anymore,,,
their now hard to find indeed...

as for the ID82, its fairly new,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ZOTAC-ZBOX-I...3cc446612e

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ooops....Just fast-tracked myself XBMC heaven apparently0