• 55(current)
[released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS
I've been playing with the iPhone remote and love it. But I have a couple of simple questions.

1. I guess there is no way to start XBMC with the remote, since it uses wifi? I can start it with my Harmony, but would like to avoid needing two remotes if possible.

2. A related question, Wake on LAN in the remote app seems to wake the computer (MacBook Pro), but the screen remains dark. In the Mac's "Energy Saver" preferences, "Wake for network access" is checked. Is there a way to wake the display too?

3. What is the difference between hibernate, sleep, and suspend?

4. Of course the iOS remote can't control my receiver, but can it regulate or mute the volume of the signal that is sent to the receiver? Or does the audio out always have to go full volume?

Thanks.
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
Quote:3. What is the difference between hibernate, sleep, and suspend?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_mode#Computers

Quote:4. Of course the iOS remote can't control my receiver, but can it regulate or mute the volume of the signal that is sent to the receiver? Or does the audio out always have to go full volume?

If you do not bitstream or use advanced audio which is decoded by he receiver (simply said if passthrough is used films etc then volume does not work), then you can adjust by the remote app, otherwise you are bound by the remote of your receiver.
Thanks tudstudent. I think I'm passing the audio through to the receiver to decode, so guess I'll be stuck with two remotes.
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
(2012-12-30, 13:39)joethefox Wrote:
(2012-12-29, 22:34)_someone_ Wrote:
(2012-12-29, 15:59)joethefox Wrote: @_someone_, did you use nfo file to provide data for a video file in XBMC? If so, non-UTF8 characters causes JSON-RPC error.

Yes, I'm using nfo-files for all movies and TV shows. Is there a way for you to handle that?

The issue is that if even just one .nfo isn't correctly encoded in UTF-8, when the remote app receives the answer from XBMC the result isn't in UTF-8 and this breaks the JSON-RPC specifications causing errors during the parsing of the answer. It's something that the remote app can't control.

This issue was fixed some months ago with this commit so mine is just a suspicious. Can you help me to discover if the issue is the non UTF-8 .nfo file? You should import one by one the nfo files until you find if there is the offensive one that breaks the remote app movies list.

@CaptainKen, 1) I think it's normal: it's not possible to control volume in passthrough mode, your amp takes the control of the volume.
2) sure, on the XBMC server list, the right view has the "Quit XBMC Application" button.

@tudstudent, ok. To better clarify, when I talked about a clean user folder I was referring to the userdata folder, http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Userdata
Hey thanks Joe, that's where all the buttons I've been looking for have been hiding!
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
Firstly, let me say that this is a great little app! I am loving the fact that especially on my dumb clients I dont have to fiddle around with keyboards and mice... But I do have a couple of feature requests/thoughts on improvements:

Firstly, I'd like to say that I would be a big fan of allowing direct keypresses from the app. Things like \ and S could be handy for me, especially on my main HTPC on the living room TV.

Secondly, I think that the design put forward a couple of pages back would be a good one, but in the meantime or if that isn't going to happen I would love to be able to at least get to the server configuration and options from 'both' sides. ie. in Now playing or in Remote for example, if you click on the menu ion the top left, then on the server details, you get to the config screen for it, but if you click on the right hand side 'Settings' button, then on the server you dont get there.

On the subject of the server settings and control, i do find this area quite cumbersome. I feel that it would be better if the server controls dropped down upon pressing the server name, rather than having to tap again on the settings button on the right hand side, which i must admit took me a while to find at first. I guessed that the app was asking for a MAC to perform WOL, but from the way the servers are set out, it's not entirely obvious that WOL is supported.

Also, would it be possible like in XBMC proper, to have an option to ignore articles (eg. "the") in the remote? It is slightly annoying that you have to get used to two different ways of sorting, and to be honest, i'm too lazy to just change the setting in XBMC.

Finally, is it at all feasible to be able to change profiles from the remote? This may just be a limitation of XBMC itself, but i can set up the HTTP control from all of the profiles, (there is Master, Adults and Kids) two of which do have passwords, but as soon as the profile switching screen is up, the HTTP client is booted. Right now, from within XBMC you can do it using a couple of workarounds. Especially those here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=143455 and here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...id=1224171 The latter does require favourites to be in the remote as far as i can tell, and i am unsure of how leechguy is doing the autoswitch, but the addon is working perfectly. It would just be nice to be able to be lazy and log the kids out and log us in, without having to pick up the keyboard Wink

Again, thanks for a great app, and i do hope this all makes sense as it is now 1am and i am feeling quite sleep deprived...
(2013-01-07, 15:55)thespud Wrote: Firstly, let me say that this is a great little app! I am loving the fact that especially on my dumb clients I dont have to fiddle around with keyboards and mice... But I do have a couple of feature requests/thoughts on improvements:

Firstly, I'd like to say that I would be a big fan of allowing direct keypresses from the app. Things like \ and S could be handy for me, especially on my main HTPC on the living room TV.

Secondly, I think that the design put forward a couple of pages back would be a good one, but in the meantime or if that isn't going to happen I would love to be able to at least get to the server configuration and options from 'both' sides. ie. in Now playing or in Remote for example, if you click on the menu ion the top left, then on the server details, you get to the config screen for it, but if you click on the right hand side 'Settings' button, then on the server you dont get there.

On the subject of the server settings and control, i do find this area quite cumbersome. I feel that it would be better if the server controls dropped down upon pressing the server name, rather than having to tap again on the settings button on the right hand side, which i must admit took me a while to find at first. I guessed that the app was asking for a MAC to perform WOL, but from the way the servers are set out, it's not entirely obvious that WOL is supported.

Also, would it be possible like in XBMC proper, to have an option to ignore articles (eg. "the") in the remote? It is slightly annoying that you have to get used to two different ways of sorting, and to be honest, i'm too lazy to just change the setting in XBMC.

Finally, is it at all feasible to be able to change profiles from the remote? This may just be a limitation of XBMC itself, but i can set up the HTTP control from all of the profiles, (there is Master, Adults and Kids) two of which do have passwords, but as soon as the profile switching screen is up, the HTTP client is booted. Right now, from within XBMC you can do it using a couple of workarounds. Especially those here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=143455 and here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...id=1224171 The latter does require favourites to be in the remote as far as i can tell, and i am unsure of how leechguy is doing the autoswitch, but the addon is working perfectly. It would just be nice to be able to be lazy and log the kids out and log us in, without having to pick up the keyboard Wink

Again, thanks for a great app, and i do hope this all makes sense as it is now 1am and i am feeling quite sleep deprived...

I wish the server controls were somehow easier to access as well.
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
quick question, not sure if this has been addressed or if this is an upcoming feature but is there any way from the remote to see what format/resolution the media file is in? (ex, 720/1080 h264/xvid)

thanks alot
Don't know if already pointed out, but using iPad remote, and I can't view my videos by folder, this works perfectly on my android phone, but the iPad renames the folders to the films in alphabetical order, then can't open them (I have a Folder for FIlms, TV, Kids - the iPad see's them as "American Pie, American Pie 2......)
(2013-01-10, 13:06)thorvertonian Wrote: Don't know if already pointed out, but using iPad remote, and I can't view my videos by folder, this works perfectly on my android phone, but the iPad renames the folders to the films in alphabetical order, then can't open them (I have a Folder for FIlms, TV, Kids - the iPad see's them as "American Pie, American Pie 2......)

I've already told him about this one.. He's working on it i believe
Not sure if it's already been covered, but I've recently upgraded to Frodo RC3 from Eden running on Windows Vista, I had the iOS app running fine with Eden, and have been trying to get it to work on RC3 for the last few days... All settings are the same as they were on Eden as far as I can tell, but still no joy.

This is what my app keeps coming up with when I try find the server.

All settings seem to be enabled, but I can't get it to connect
Just fill in by hand the data, should be working without the auto find option.
This is also not working on my side (do not know if this is an general issue), but here it is working.
yeah, it's the auto find that I've been trying to use... where would I find the info I'd need to to manually connect the app up? The system folder's changed around and I can't find the data I'd need
(2012-12-17, 17:05)joethefox Wrote: @QuentinQuark, and if you point the iDevice browser to the XBMC machine? it works also?

Just tried again. Chrome on another Windows PC can connect, but Chrome on my iPad can not connect. How odd! Any thoughts?
I found that you just point the app to the device running xbmc (eg. your win 7 device) the remote should be able to pick it up
MacX, that's exactly what I would expect, but it doesn't see it. It says "No XBMC instances were found Sad"
  • 55(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS8