Can XBMCBuntu Eden see more than 4GB RAM?
So I installed 8GB of ram but when i go to System Info it says I only have 4gb.... When I log into XBMCBuntu and open up terminal and type free -m i see

Total 8035
used 330
free 7705

Do I need to figure XBMC some how to see the rest of the RAM?
XBMC can't see that much RAM due to it being a 32 bit application, so the most it can see will be 4GB give or take. There's no way to make it see the rest unless you were to compile it into a 64 bit application which would require that you also have all dependencies compiled as 64 bit versions. In other words, that isn't going to happen. In better news, there's no reason for XBMC to see that memory, as it's only going to use the amount of memory that it needs. You're looking for a solution where no problem exists.
Not entirely true. I have 8gb in my Win7 setup and XBMC picks up that 8gb just fine
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-04-11, 07:17)Martijn Wrote: Not entirely true. I have 8gb in my Win7 setup and XBMC picks up that 8gb just fine

On 32bit Win7? I highly doubt that.

Even if you use a pae enabled kernel, which allows the OS to use more then 4GB, a 32bit binary cannot address it.
(2012-04-11, 07:17)Martijn Wrote: Not entirely true. I have 8gb in my Win7 setup and XBMC picks up that 8gb just fine
Is it grabbing that number from the OS or is the application actually recognizing that amount? I would guess the former since a 32b application cannot address that much RAM.

That said, it doesn't change the second part of my response about XBMC not needing that much RAM. I have 4GB in my Linux HTPC with XBMCbuntu installed and RAM usage rarely goes above even half that. A well written application will only utilize the amount of memory that it actually needs.
No I use 64bit Win7 and a 32bit XBMC and it shows 8gb

Not sure but i think it indeed grabs it from the OS. And you don't need that amount.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can XBMCBuntu Eden see more than 4GB RAM?0