• 129(current)
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)
Been using this program on my Raspberry Pi 3B+ running OSMC. Decided to upgrade to Raspberry Pi 4 however I have noticed that this program is no longer available, is there a work around to set up my new Pi 4 with my backups using this program? I tried searching but didn't find anything. Thanks in advance.
Ran backup on an android box build. Restored to a Windows laptop. PVR simple client is working on the android box but it is not on the windows build after the restore. When I try to install PVR simple client it throws errors. See debug log. Everything else seems ok.
Any help sorting this out would be appreciated.

Debug log
https://paste.kodi.tv/aqohemuqah.kodi
PVR (wiki) addons are binary, and so have to be built for the specific platform. You can't transfer them via backup/restore across plaforms.

Indeed backing up and restoring cross-platform generally is risky due to the differences between drive/file/folder location encoding between them.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. As a workaround, I just backed up the database, Playlist and Thunbnails/Fanart. Installed the PVR Simple Client manually and recreated the source pointers.
Seems to be working fine.
That's not a workaround - that's the correct way to do it.

Backup is fine for data etc, but for binary addons, those have to be installed from their correct original source (rather than from the backup) so that you get the correct version for the installation and machine.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks again for replying. Much appreciated.
Greetings from Brazil,

I have a NVidia Shield TV 2015 that is used by multiple people. To avoid a big mess, I've set it up this way so that normal users are not able to change/install software:
  • Android Level (OS) 
    • Created a Restrict Profile at the Android Level
    • Obviously Kodi is installed in the Owner Profile (you can't install apps in the Restrict Profile at the OS level)
    • I set up Android to allow Kodi to be used by the Restrict Profile
  • At the Kodi Level
    • In the Owner Profile at the OS level: I did not do anything other than opened it and permitted whatever it asks when you first run it
    • On the Restrict Profile (OS level), I did this:
    • Created and Admin Profile in Kodi. Installed all plugins I use and set it to share the content sources with the other Kodi profile (user)
    • Created an User Profile which does not have any rights (can't change any settings in Kodi, can't install anything etc) other than play content
   The problem: overtime I needed to factory reset Shield (it has just upgraded to a new firmware and every time it happens, due to the problems that appears, I have to do it all over again) which required me to set it up all over again - and that requires A LOT OF TIME even using the well-known Backup add-on. 

What I would like to have: some kind of a solution that runs at Kodi level (or at the OS level - it does not matter) that would backup whatever folders which are required to restore Shield the way it is to a NAS (it is in the same network as Shield is). So for this forum, the questions are:
  1.    Given my use case, which folders I need to backup?
  2.    Does Backup support this use case? If so, how can I set it up? If not, what are my options? Cron jobs at the Android OS level? 

Thank you
Hi, having issues running a backup using LibreElec 10.0.2 on a Raspberry Pi.

When I kick off the backup it gets stuck forever on "gathering file list..."

I am compressing the zip file and send it to an SMB share, using pretty much the same settings for the past 5 years

FYI I have the identical settings on another system and it works flawlessly on the second Rpi

However, the only difference in the setup between both boxes is that the one where it gets stuck on I have setup LibreElec to boot off a USB flash disk, whereas the one where it works with no issue it boots off micro-sd card (which is the typical setup most users would have)

Hence my question is, has anyone got Backup to work on LibreElect Rpi when the OS is configured to boot off a USB Flash drive?

I have tried many different things, I have a feeling Backup is barfing because Kodi is booting off a USB drive...
Is there a way to change the filename structure I have poor vision and find yyyymmddhhmm difficult to read when my eyes are tired.
@robweber
I happen to have to distinguish the various backups for some changes, so I don't always remember which file I need to restore.
I am wondering if it is possible to customize a suffix to insert in the backup name in the following screenshot:
Or what do I have to manually edit in the backup zip file to add a custom suffix?
Thanks a Lot
Hello all,

new user here. I have Kodi installed on my TCL Android TV.  I installed this "Backup addon" and ran the backup to my "downloads" directory.

I then downloaded the .zip file to my PC via http using MiXplorer HTTP Server.  Wiped my TV with a new Google TV version. Installed Kodi 19.4 and the Backup addon from the repo. Set the path to downloads and when I went to restore, there was no zip file to restore.

Last time I did this using the same procedure I saw my backed up file in the downloads directory and restored it.

So I did a back up and it indeed backs up and confirms what looks like a directory. But that directory isn't in the downloads directory! And that is where I set my path!

Any idea:
A) Why my original backup file can't be seen?
B) Where is the new test backup stored?
c) How do I get my backup restored using my zip file?

Thank you.
I uninstalled v19.5 then installed v20 on my Android TV. I then tried restoring from a previously created backup, but failed. Interestingly, the add-ons seem to have been restored successfully once I restarted Kodi, but no luck on the other items (database, library, thumbnails, config). The log file below was produced after I tried to restore the config. I'm bit of a newbie; would greatly appreciate any help!

https://paste.kodi.tv/tawuyeyina
(2023-01-18, 11:29)forestation Wrote: I uninstalled v19.5 then installed v20 on my Android TV. I then tried restoring from a previously created backup, but failed. Interestingly, the add-ons seem to have been restored successfully once I restarted Kodi, but no luck on the other items (database, library, thumbnails, config). The log file below was produced after I tried to restore the config. I'm bit of a newbie; would greatly appreciate any help!

https://paste.kodi.tv/tawuyeyina

I've now uploaded the full debug log file
https://paste.kodi.tv/icajefusaw
Hi Everybody,
Currently, I use Kodi 18.9 Leia. For some reasons, I'd like to upgrade to 19.4 Matrix via pendrive downloads (as Google Play has the latest version 20....(Nexus) only.) For security reason, I made a full back-up. If I upgrade to Matrix, can I use the earlier back-up file (made under 18.9 Leia) to install all settings and add-ons under the new version of Matrix 19.4?
Thanks
If anyone is interested, i created a fork of this with 2 changes.
1. made it so you can rename the backup folders if wanted so you know which backup is which.
2. added a .config backup option in the simple mode. but pretty sure that folder is only used in the embedded versions though (libreelec,coreelec,osmc etc), useful for those that would want it, useful for people that might keep other stuff in that folder(i keep a few scripts and of course the remote.conf file for ir remotes)

https://github.com/Spark-NV/xbmcbackup

note: i have no intention of updating the fork in the future. maybe rob will add these options into his for future kodi releases(assuming the addon even ever breaks)
  • 129(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)10