Interlaced video output - proof of principle
No I did not solve the issue with scaling interlaced material. It has to be IVTC'd and deinterlaced before scaling.

You are right to be concerned about SD content. In the most basic hardware setups displaying SD at native resolution would be desirable but I suspect this is very tricky. For HDMI connected displays 576i and 480i modes require pixel doubling to avoid the lower pixel clock limit specified for HDMI. This means both the video and all of the GUI would need to be rendered to a frame 720x576 pixels for 576i (600x480 for 480i) and then stretched to the full 1440x576i. In OpenGL you would texture map with the setting glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST) to double pixels horizontally.

Also mode switching the TV display and the low res GUI might be annoying. I suspect a halfway-house approach might be more suitable where if you say had an ION system it is quite capable of IVTC and deinterlace of SD material so you could then display this on a 1080i display. For 1080i material the deinterlacer would be turned off and the interlacer turned on.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Interlaced video output - proof of principle - by Stu-e - 2012-04-27, 15:13
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Interlaced video output - proof of principle0