Win NAS vs external drives? Thoughts pls
(2012-05-14, 15:47)malte Wrote:
CpTHOOK Wrote:With regards to your redundant 1:1 BU's....IMHO, you are wasting those drives and the money you paid for them. Using an NAS with parity is a much better option than 1:1 redundancy!
Don't mix redundancy with backup. Just one reference of many.

just to be clearer, when I mentioned the term redundancy I was referring to OP's redundant 1:1 backups. I believe what you are saying is that a Parity array(whether software or RAID controlled) is not as safe as 1:1 redundant backup and that I should not compare the two when it comes to the safety of data.

The poster question seems to be more related to whether he should continue to keep saving media to his external drives and continue 1:1 backups or go for an NAS. When it comes to performance and the best use of his drives, especially when it is just media, IMHO, NAS w/parity would be a better option. The chances of more than one drive crashing concurrently in a Parity NAS is very unlikely. BUT, you are correct when pointing out that 1:1 backups would keep his media safer. If ultimate media safety is paramount then a 1:1 backup option would of course be a better option.

Excuse me if I confused you with my statement and the use of the term redundancy!

Messages In This Thread
RE: NAS vs external drives? Thoughts pls - by CpTHOOK - 2012-05-14, 18:20
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS vs external drives? Thoughts pls0