Win NAS vs external drives? Thoughts pls
CpTHOOK Wrote:just to be clearer, when I mentioned the term redundancy I was referring to OP's redundant 1:1 backups. I believe what you are saying is that a Parity array(whether software or RAID controlled) is not as safe as 1:1 redundant backup and that I should not compare the two when it comes to the safety of data.
Maybe I was wrong when I picked up the term redundancy. I was talking about RAID vs. backup. It does not matter if you operate your system with RAID 1 (1:1-redundancy) or RAID 5 (with parity drive).

CpTHOOK Wrote:The poster question seems to be more related to whether he should continue to keep saving media to his external drives and continue 1:1 backups or go for an NAS.
I think the discussion is not NAS vs. backup. The initial question was to replace the main external hard disks (not the backup disks) with an NAS.

CpTHOOK Wrote:When it comes to performance and the best use of his drives, especially when it is just media, IMHO, NAS w/parity would be a better option. The chances of more than one drive crashing concurrently in a Parity NAS is very unlikely.
As said above, I am not talking about drive crashes. The chances that you accidently delete data or that you loose data because of bad written software or maybe malware are higher than a HD crash. And if you accidently delete data it will be deleted on all parity or redundant drives. Thats why you need a backup additionally to your redundancy. You are right, it is just media and most of us won't need 1:1 backups for it. But if you count the time that alot of us spend with downloading/ripping/renaming/sorting/decorating our movie collections it may be worth to have it in a safe placeSmile

What I think is not necessary is RAID in a home environment. I personally use a file server (HP N36L) without RAID but I have a 1:1 backup of all my data on an external drive. If one of my NAS drives crashes I have to order a new one and when it arrives I restore all my data from backup. Of course, in the meantime (2-3 days) I can't access the media that was stored on this drive. So, in worst case I have to read a bookSmile

Messages In This Thread
RE: NAS vs external drives? Thoughts pls - by malte - 2012-05-14, 21:54
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS vs external drives? Thoughts pls0