• 6(current)
[RELEASED]: MCE Live TV (and MCE Netflix) XBMC Integration
So, after reviewing the messages, it appears that Zellig (the original poster / developer) hasn't been around lately, and this thread hasn't been touched in over a month, so I may just be talking to no one... but, I figured that there might be someone, like me, that's searching for this info later, so I wanted to share.

Since I REALLY, REALLY liked what Zellig had done, so far, with MCENetflix, and I didn't want to re-invent the wheel, I decided to see if I could just work out the minor issues with the original program. I was unable to decompile the executable, and access the original code, so I opened it up with a hex editor and was able to locate the launch sequence he was using. After a "little" trial and error, I was able replace the the /url call that he was using with the sequence that I use

ehshell -launchcoded:{e6f46126-f8a9-4a97-9159-b70b07890112}\{982ea9d3-915c-4713-a3c8-99a4688b7c59}

Now Netflix launches right up without the proxy error. I was able to reduce the delay from 15 seconds to 10, and it looks nice and clean.

Next, it was just a simple matter of having it return focus / maximizing XBMC. Absolutely loving it! Now we have no further reason to go into MediaCenter.

If anyone has any interest in the replacement MCE Netflix executable and the batch file that I put together, I'll be happy to find a place to upload them.

Now I just need to find a method to launch XBMC from the Green Button of my remote, and we'll be good. Unfortunately, the methods I've seen require that EHSHELL be diverted to launch XBMC (breaking Netflix), or capturing a key sequence that my remote doesn't seem to be pushing. Guess I'll have to devote myself to it now.

Hmmm... just had a thought. If I copy EHSHELL.EXE to something else, maybe MCENTER.EXE and then have MCENetflix launch MCENTER.EXE, then I can have the green button run XBMC anytime EHSHELL is called, and not break Netflix. Gonna have to give it a shot.

UPDATE: Did it, and it works beautifully! YAY!! Now my green button launches XBMC without breaking Netflix. Best of both worlds.

Now, I'm incorporating Chrome to launch, fullscreen, from XBMC, to Google's Spotlight page or YouTube TV, so that my girls can surf the web in a way that's also smooth.
If you get no other responses, I would be interested in a complete walk through on doing what you did. Currently, when in XBMC, I just click the Green Button the remote, to launch Windows Media Center, to watch Live TV and use Netflix. Then when I exit Media Center, XBMC is still running full screen. It's a little clumsy, but it does work (but I had to train the Wife and Little one, on how to do this).

To use the Green Button to launch XBMC, you simply right click on the XBMC icon, and select properties. Under Shortcut Key, you enter the same key codes as you would to launch Media Center (I believe it's win-alt-enter). I've been using this on one of my systems for over a year without any issues.
@RobbieWilkes

I would be interested in your version of that file if you would be willing to host it.

Thanks!

EDIT: Or a walk through like @Powerhouse asked would be great too. I'm fairly green myself.
Happy to offer my own insights. While I've been "messing around" with XBMC for a few months, I really haven't invested myself into it as deeply as I could, because of, in my experience, overly-complicated DVR integration and, until now, the lack of a good Netflix interface. Honestly, I've actually been able to do some fairly good customizations of Windows Media Center, using MediaBrowser and MCStudio, and would be happy with it, if it wasn't for the LOUSY sound quality and Microsoft's lack of continued support.

Now, since I've moved and am stuck with UVerse at the new place, and can no longer use my wonderful HDHomerun for recording TV, I decided to see what I could do with XBMC. Since I was able to get Netflix linked, I'm much happier, but I'm still not convinced that XBMC is going to be my final destination, since there is no way to access files not recognized by the meta scraper, other than manually creating .NFO files for each one. My movies and TV shows are well organized, but I have other media files that are not, and they are just invisible in XBMC... something that was not an issue with MediaCenter, and, in my opinion, something that could be easily corrected.

Anyway, I'm just ranting a bit because I've run up against that challenge, and am slightly annoyed that there appears to be no work-around.

As for MCENetflix (Zellig's great little project), I'll put the modified version on my FTP site, and you can pull it down. As I mentioned, all I did was modify the launch sequence, he used, to one that does not give the load / proxy error.

Beyond that, the only other thing you need is the XBMC Advanced Launcher addon. I was actually over-complicating the whole thing because of my unfamiliarity with Advanced Launcher. It turns out that, when you're configuring the launcher for MCENetflix, you just need to enable Windowed mode and, upon exiting Netflix, control will return right back to XBMC, without any additional scripting. Simple!

Here's the link to the modified executable:

http://robbiew.home.mindspring.com/downl...etflix.exe

I hope that helps, and I'll be happy to provide additional info or answer any other questions.

Robbie
Your my hero Robbie. I was about to decompile and check his linkage returned here to see you already fixed the proxy error Smile I am going to give this a try tonight many thanks.
Well it didn't work for me I get a script error I think it has to do with your exit code which isn't needed with advanced launcher
What kind of error are you getting? I didn't make any changes to an "exit code"... just to the launch sequence for Netflix. Did you still have all the files from Zellig's original post? If not, and you don't have access to them, I'll be happy to bundle them up, along with the executable. I probably should have done that to begin with.
Went ahead zipped up all the files, and put it on my ftp site, just in case someone needs it.

http://robbiew.home.mindspring.com/downl...etflix.zip

Hope it helps.

Robbie
Thanks Zellig for this great post. I really appreciate the step by step info you gave. I am very new to xbmc and all of the "programming commands" were way over my head. I also used Robbie's (thanks) file for netflix and it worked great as well. I had to enable "use full screen window" to get the escape button to take me back to xbmc, otherwise it would take me back to desktop.
Just found this thread and confused how to set-up... Do I simply put Robbie's 5 files (extracted from the zip) in a folder somewhere and point Advanced Launcher to MCENetflix.exe?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
You have to setup a separate advanced launcher to launch each one of the files you want (ie.MCENetflix.exe). Then create a shortcut for the escape mce file and add that shortcut to your start menu folder. If you need further info on how to setup advanced launcher or the start folder shortcut, I will do my best to help you. Let me know.
(2013-08-16, 03:39)hdmkv Wrote: Just found this thread and confused how to set-up... Do I simply put Robbie's 5 files (extracted from the zip) in a folder somewhere and point Advanced Launcher to MCENetflix.exe?

If you're using Advanced Launcher, you should be able to just point to the MCENetflix.exe, in whatever folder you decide to put it in. As I mentioned in a previous post, when you're configuring the launcher for MCENetflix, you just need to set the "Toggle XBMC into Windowed mode" to On, so that, upon exiting Netflix, control will return to XBMC, in full screen mode.

I've actually kind of moved away from MCENetflix right now, and am back to using my own script. It was hit or miss whether or not it would return back to XBMC correctly. I believe that, even though I had hacked my copy of MCENetflix to launch MCenter.exe (a copy of EHShell.exe, allowing me to use the green button of my remote to launch XBMC), the process monitor could not detect that MediaCenter had closed, and would not end properly.

I've just re-trained myself (and the rest of the family) to use the remote's clear button to exit Netflix (and MediaCenter if necessary), and it takes me right back to XBMC.

-------
@echo off
tasklist /fi "imagename eq mcenter.exe" | find "No tasks running" || taskkill /im mcenter.exe

start /wait c:\windows\ehome\mcenter.exe -launchcoded:{e6f46126-f8a9-4a97-9159-b70b07890112}\{982ea9d3-915c-4713-a3c8-99a4688b7c59}

tasklist /fi "imagename eq mcenter.exe" | find "No tasks running" || taskkill /im mcenter.exe
-------

By using AdvancedLauncher (as I mentioned above), this works perfectly.

Hope this info helps you get it working, by whichever method you choose.

Robbie
Is there any way to map keyboard shortcuts for the MCE Netflix app to make it more seamless with xbmc? Like space bar to pause, etc.
Robbie (or anyone with more knowledge on the inner workings of WMC),

For this to be absolutely perfect for me, I need my advanced launcher to jump to my plugin for recordings (I use RecordedTV HD) instead of the generic recorded tv WMC interface. Within the plugin, I have it setup to jump to the RecordedTV HD when I press the recorded tv button. I was hoping that this would work from within XBMC, but alas it does not. Is there a clever way to hack these files to make it jump to the plugin?

For the record, I have it working just how I want with all of the other functions posted, I just need it to jump to RecordedTV HD instead of the stock interface to achieve nerd bliss for this.
I don't have the RecordedTV HD option on mine, just Recorded TV. Is the HD option screen off of the Recorded TV screen?

I know you can launch straight to RecordedTV with the following command:

%windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /nostartupanimation /homepage:RecordedTV.BrowsePage.xml /PushStartPage:True

I wonder if, for you, there's a hosted xml page for HD... something like:

%windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /nostartupanimation /homepage:RecordedTVHD.BrowsePage.xml /PushStartPage:True

You could also check the MediaCenter entry points to see if it shoved something under there. Look under the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Extensibility\Entry Points

If you find it there, you should be able to launch it with a command similar to this (used to launch MediaBrowser):

%windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /nostartupanimation /entrypoint:{CE32C570-4BEC-4aeb-AD1D-CF47B91DE0B2}\{FC9ABCCC-36CB-47ac-8BAB-03E8EF5F6F22}

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but, since I don't have that option, I'm not sure what you're seeing.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASED]: MCE Live TV (and MCE Netflix) XBMC Integration1