• 52(current)
xbmc minified as a server?
(2014-06-22, 12:46)wernerb Wrote: Tested and pushed new docker container, works fine! The changes shaved off 400mb for me.

I also made the commands/configuration options used more readable in the dockerfile. For anyone interested in what commands are used to compile xbmc in its entirety, see:
https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/werner...dockerfile

if you issue those commands on ubuntu quantal you will get the same result as in the docker container.

If my video sources are local for the headless xbmc bin, can I use '--disable-nfs' leave out libnfs-dev from dependencies?

I also don't need libbluray because I'm not using bluray ISO's. That would leave '--enable-shared-lib' and '--enable-ssh'. Any other dependencies that can be removed from the list?

We are looking into a Synology package and since all dependencies will have to be built from source we want to eliminate all deps that we don't need.
Platforms: macOS - iOS - OSMC
co-author: Red Bull TV add-on
The thing is that this means you will use the xbmc-server as a UPnP media source on all the clients. If this is true then its no problem and you can remove ssh/nfs/smb.
If not and the xbmc clients use nfs/smb to connect to the files with the same shared-database, then the clients need to include PathSubstitution's for all media sources to rename /media/blabla to smb://host/media/blabla.
I would leave libbluray in if you are creating a synology package, as you want your users to be able to parse blurays.
(2014-07-01, 10:21)wernerb Wrote: The thing is that this means you will use the xbmc-server as a UPnP media source on all the clients. If this is true then its no problem and you can remove ssh/nfs/smb.
If not and the xbmc clients use nfs/smb to connect to the files with the same shared-database, then the clients need to include PathSubstitution's for all media sources to rename /media/blabla to smb://host/media/blabla.
I would leave libbluray in if you are creating a synology package, as you want your users to be able to parse blurays.

OK will leave both in, because for me personally it's for a shared MySQL library scenario, not using UPnP.

No way to eliminate other deps? I see libs for fonts, sound and graphics..?
(2014-07-01, 10:23)tripkip Wrote:
(2014-07-01, 10:21)wernerb Wrote: The thing is that this means you will use the xbmc-server as a UPnP media source on all the clients. If this is true then its no problem and you can remove ssh/nfs/smb.

OK will leave both in, because for me personally it's for a shared MySQL library scenario, not using UPnP.

No way to eliminate other deps? I see libs for fonts, sound and graphics..?

If you are building for Synology I would first try disabling smb/nfs/ssh/libbluray and only enable upnp.
If that works as expected you can add support for other stuff later, making development a bit less daunting.

I'm sure that some packages aren't needed for the current gotham compile that I install anyway.
I was also experimenting disabling opengl to further reduce size/time to compile, but it takes so much time..

To that end i'm considering making a xbmc compile container and writing a script that will try out all combinations of dependencies/packages and test the UPnP of xbmc. That way I don't have to wait on xbmc to compile and after a few days of burning my CPU it will hopefully churn out a perfect super-mini build.

What do you think? What sort of tests should I do to ensure xbmc-server works?

I was thinking:
- Library update
- UPnP listing of files/music/videos/
- UPnP video stream test.

This is easy because all three can be done with some curl commands as UPnP is just HTTP.
(2014-07-01, 10:43)wernerb Wrote: If you are building for Synology I would first try disabling smb/nfs/ssh/libbluray and only enable upnp.
If that works as expected you can add support for other stuff later, making development a bit less daunting.

I'm sure that some packages aren't needed for the current gotham compile that I install anyway.
I was also experimenting disabling opengl to further reduce size/time to compile, but it takes so much time..

To that end i'm considering making a xbmc compile container and writing a script that will try out all combinations of dependencies/packages and test the UPnP of xbmc. That way I don't have to wait on xbmc to compile and after a few days of burning my CPU it will hopefully churn out a perfect super-mini build.

What do you think?

Sounds freaking awesome! Cool
Those tests cover it pretty much if you ask me. How are you going to script the picking of different distinct dependency combinations?

How is it that there is no ffmpeg dependency in your list?
getting a error while scanning
with command:
Code:
docker run -v /home/$(whoami)/.xbmcserver:/opt/xbmc-server/portable_data --entrypoint=/opt/xbmc-server/xbmcVideoLibraryScan docker-xbmc-server:gotham --no-test --nolirc -p

error:
Code:
14:52:16 T:139796613687040 WARNING: Process directory 'nfs://192.168.x.1x7/export/NAS_HD/Medien/Movies/dghsfh)/' does not exist - skipping scan.
14:52:16 T:139796613687040   ERROR: NFS: Failed to mount nfs share: /export/NAS_HD (mount/mnt call failed with "RPC error: Mount failed with error MNT3ERR_ACCES(13) Permission denied(13)")

NFS share is mounted with this settings:
Code:
ro,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure,anonuid=0,anongid=0
(2014-07-01, 17:00)gutz-pilz Wrote: getting a error while scanning
with command:
Code:
docker run -v /home/$(whoami)/.xbmcserver:/opt/xbmc-server/portable_data --entrypoint=/opt/xbmc-server/xbmcVideoLibraryScan docker-xbmc-server:gotham --no-test --nolirc -p

error:
Code:
14:52:16 T:139796613687040 WARNING: Process directory 'nfs://192.168.x.1x7/export/NAS_HD/Medien/Movies/dghsfh)/' does not exist - skipping scan.
14:52:16 T:139796613687040   ERROR: NFS: Failed to mount nfs share: /export/NAS_HD (mount/mnt call failed with "RPC error: Mount failed with error MNT3ERR_ACCES(13) Permission denied(13)")

NFS share is mounted with this settings:
Code:
ro,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure,anonuid=0,anongid=0

The error you give me conflicts in a number of ways. First the ip address 192.168.x.1x7 is not correct, but maybe you have masked it yourself ?
Is that from the xbmc log ?
Anyway nfs:// means that NFS is mounted by xbmc ? But as far as I know you can't give it mount options ? Unless that's your NFS server export ?

Seems like docker does not have access to your nfs because docker has its own virtual ip. Try addding after 'run' the following "--net=host ". This will ensure that docker runs on your host network.
yes i masked the ip
yes its written in the xbmc.log

i'll put a sources.xml in the same location where advancedsettings ist located.
how should xbmc else know where to scan ?
Code:
<sources>
    <programs>
        <default pathversion="1"></default>
    </programs>
    <video>
        <source>
            <name>TV Shows</name>
            <path pathversion="1">nfs://192.168.0.107/export/NAS_HD/Medien/TV Shows/</path>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>Movies</name>
            <path pathversion="1">nfs://192.168.0.107/export/NAS_HD/Medien/Movies/</path>
        </source>
    </video>
    <music>
    </music>
    <pictures>
    </pictures>
    <files>
    </files>
</sources>
It uses the database Smile there's no sources.xml needed.
This is what I use to add the sources (already replaced the paths with your paths). You probably want to check the options.

You can also add the sources from a client, which is probably a bit easier if you want to configure the options for each source.

Code:
INSERT INTO `path` (`strPath`, `strContent`, `strScraper`, `strHash`, `scanRecursive`, `useFolderNames`, `strSettings`, `noUpdate`, `exclude`, `dateAdded`) VALUES
('nfs://192.168.0.107/export/NAS_HD/Medien/Movies/', 'movies', 'metadata.themoviedb.org', NULL, 1, 1, '<settings><setting id="RatingS" value="IMDb" /><setting id="TrailerQ" value="No" /><setting id="certprefix" value="Rated " /><setting id="fanart" value="true" /><setting id="keeporiginaltitle" value="true" /><setting id="language" value="en" /><setting id="tmdbcertcountry" value="nl" /><setting id="trailer" value="true" /></settings>', 0, 0, NULL),
('nfs://192.168.0.107/export/NAS_HD/Medien/TV Shows/', 'tvshows', 'metadata.tvdb.com', NULL, 0, 0, '<settings><setting id="absolutenumber" value="false" /><setting id="dvdorder" value="false" /><setting id="fanart" value="true" /><setting id="language" value="en" /><setting id="posters" value="false" /></settings>', 0, 0, NULL);
yeah. that did it!
I need some help below is what I am now using with my current working shared xbmc library. I am now switching over to running wernerb docker and want to make my setup work with it. Whats the best way to do this?

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.2.75</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</musicdatabase>

<videolibrary>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
</videolibrary>

<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>smb://192.168.2.75/cache/apps/xbmc/Thumbnails/</to>
</substitute>

<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/sources.xml</from>
<to>smb://192.168.2.75/cache/apps/xbmc/userdata/sources.xml/</to>
</substitute>

</pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

Thanks for any help!
(2014-07-03, 03:26)flamez Wrote: I need some help below is what I am now using with my current working shared xbmc library. I am now switching over to running wernerb docker and want to make my setup work with it. Whats the best way to do this?

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</musicdatabase>

<videolibrary>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
</videolibrary>

<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>smb://192.168.2.75/cache/apps/xbmc/Thumbnails/</to>
</substitute>

<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/sources.xml</from>
<to>smb://192.168.2.75/cache/apps/xbmc/userdata/sources.xml/</to>
</substitute>

</pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

Thanks for any help!

Nevermind I got it working!
@wernerb: using your docker image, so far so good, was just wondering what is the recommended way of changing the time zone within the container?
(2014-07-09, 17:21)joelones Wrote: @wernerb: using your docker image, so far so good, was just wondering what is the recommended way of changing the time zone within the container?
They list the problem here: https://github.com/dotcloud/docker/issues/3359

Add the following arguments to the docker run command:
Code:
-v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro -v /etc/timezone:/etc/timezone:ro

The docker container will then share time and timezone with the parent host.
Please test this, if it works I will consider putting it in the container itself as a default Smile

(2014-07-05, 22:20)flamez Wrote: Nevermind I got it working!
Could you perhaps give a more detailed explanation and the solution so that other people may benefit?
  • 52(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc minified as a server?9