Linux SSD failure? Linux gurus pls
Ok my xbmc and openelec systems have recently been having a problem where it would lock up after a while (say 1-2 hours, move menus and lock up). Originally I assumed this was eden and any new linux kernal etc since issues seemed to start immediately when I upgraded to eden beta from dharma.

Issues continued with fresh installs of xbmcbuntu (11.0 iso) and even openelec (eden and frodo/OE versions).

So I replaced my Zotac ND-22 for a ID41 due to HD audio bitstreaming but more importantly openelec users were reporting stable usage.

Well what do you know, issues continued on the ID41. The only thing left is hardware failures or some sort of HDD support issue...

Here is my messages log: http://sprunge.us/XCGW

Looks like issues with HDD, just to eliminate memory (these 2 are the only common hardware between both nd22/id41 systems) I did run memtest86 which passed with 0 errors.

I did run a HDD test, but it was pretty old (ultimate boot cd) on my Crucial M4 64GB HDD (set to AHCI mode in bios). The test passed with a surface read, I could not seem to find a USB boot based test for crucial ssd in particular. Though from what I read, random drops of HDD is pretty common for an SSD failure but so is random drops at boot which has not happened.

I will be picking up a new SSD after work today, if anyone can review the log and see anything else other then hardware failure let me know. New SSD will be an expensive test but one that seems right now to be needed.
It's funny, I had the EXACT same problems with random lockups using my Crucial M4 SSD. I upgraded the FW on the SSD, upgraded the BIOS, changed out memory, changed out mortherboards, rebuilt the OS.....nothing worked until I finally bit the bullet and swapped out the Crucial SSD for an OCZ SSD. No problems since. Hopefully that fixes the issue for you too. It seemed there were quite a few people with the SSD lockup issues on the Crucial forums and no resolution when I last checked. Sadly, that drive is now sitting in a drawer.
That is good to know... I was figuring it was just going bad, probably can get an RMA (and buy another). Looks like I should probably just avoid crucial assuming it could be a functional issue rather then a physical issue. Though maybe the M4's just go bad faster (not a good thing either but they are cheap).
BTW what OCZ did you get?

Thinking about getting an agility 3, I know not as fast as a vertex but its 33% cheaper. And I don't think the speed will make that much of a difference to xbmc install where all media is on a server.

Also, I assume you are running xbmcbuntu/eden or some sort of more modern linux version (at least more modern then dharma?). What hardware are you running as well? If a replacement doesn't work I just want to factor in other things.

I have a post at openelec and someone there says they have 3 different ION based machines all doing the same thing. I am checking to see if there is any common factors like M4 SSD....
I got the 60GB Vertex 3. This is my main HTPC and server.....I've got a full (although modified) Ubuntu 12.04 install running XBMC form GIT on it. I have (4) 2TB WD Green HDD in there with the SSD and I've got a Intel Core i3, 8GB RAM (Patriot) and an NVidia GT520. This is all on an Asus P7P55D mobo.
Hopefully the new SSD fixes your issues.
Well, OCZ does have a notoriously bad track record when it comes to reliability. So I'm not sure that OCZ would be the ideal candidate.
They used to. I have Vertex 2e (SandForce) and I fear one day it will just fail, but it's going strong. Vertex4 no longer uses Sandforce so is probably just as reliable as anything else out there
Well so far so good... replaced the M4 with a samsung 830, based off a suggestion from an openelec member that is running the same hardware (so I know it should work lol)... pretty much same price as the M4. I have watched a tv show and movie(w/ HD audio bitstreaming, AE kicks ass), no lock ups so far. Will know for sure by tomorrow morning, but usually it would lock up after a few hours running so I think I am out of the woods.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SSD failure? Linux gurus pls0