• 10(current)
MCE Remote Turn ON HTPC FOUND! w/DONGLE in front of your CASE!
(2012-07-17, 13:58)bossanova808 Wrote: Working fine here with power on/off - what's your issue?

Agree the harmony remote software is crap, though. But I don't like touchscreen remotes, can't use them blind/in the dark without looking...each to their own, I guess. But once programmed up, I don't think you can call them limited - they can do anything I can think of really, but maybe I am missing something?

Yea alot of people like the hard buttons i do to, but the ability to layout the screen in any shape and way i see fit trumps that for me as well as all the possibilities. Occasionally on my htpc i would like to use a mouse or keyboard, with irule i can create a shortcut in the xbmc area to air mouse, its a nice little app that turns the touch screen into a mouse pointer (and keyboard but thats not a big issue).

Its just little things that add endless possibilities which is why im going that route. I may still use the hard button mce remote at times.

Quite a few users on avsforum are using ipads with xbmc and irule. I apologize for getting off topic this will be my last post regarding this.

(2012-07-18, 02:40)vidkun Wrote:
(2012-07-18, 00:22)kookie Wrote: Do you have the usb plugged into a USB3 port?

I have the Silverstone ML03 case with the USB3 ports on the front (connected to USB2 headers) and found that it will not turn on / off the pc.

Moving this to the rear USB2 ports (with the usb extender) worked a treat.

The original Rosewill remote works just fine to boot it up. It is getting the Harmony 650 to boot it up that is proving troublesome.

Edit: Also, it's on an A6-Pack (thanks Beer!)

Out of curiosity did you just learn the power button from the rosewill remote? I cant see why that wont work, it would be sending the exact same command as the actual remote.
Yep - it's certainly got fancy and I pull these sorts of things out when doin demos, but honestly I rally jsut use the Harmony in practise and a DiNovo Mini if I need a keyboard just for a moment...my ideal would actually be close to this I think:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1398964/logite...800-qwerty

Little touch screen at top (can emulate mouse etc), flick out qwerty, but lacking a few of the buttons of the simpler model...always trade offs. And obviously not nearly as customisable as iRule or similar, so no cover art etc.

Receiver is pretty cool - http://www.logitech.com/en-us/349/6072 - does wifi 2.4 for mouse/kb and IR for the remote bit, so power on off be remote should still work etc.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
I've just finished my i3-2120 build with an Asrock H67M-ITX/HT mobo. I got the remote working and can turn the pc on from fully off with the remote, takes just under 20 seconds which is cool.

Question i have though is when i turn the pc off with the remote it goes in standby mode and the power led flashes, how do i get it to turn off fully.
Do you want the led to be off or the system?
The LED is a setting some where in the BIOS, I think it's something like "night mode", but I'm not quite sure right now.

If you want the PC to turn off completely, have a look at your keymap - there should be something like "XBMC.Suspend()", replace that with "XBMC.ShutDown()".
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

I've not installed and setup XMBC yet, i'll be doing that tonight. I'm trying to get the PC to shutdown instead of suspend when i press the power button on the remote. I read somewhere i may need to use third party software to do this?
Does the remote shut the PC down even though XBMC is not running then?
Which remote and which dongle are you using?
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

I'm using the Asrock smart remote and usb dongle that comes with the H67M-ITX/HT. I can turn the pc on with the remote, launch windows media, change volume etc.. but when i try and turn of the pc it goes to suspend with a flashing power led, it doesnt fully power down so when i turn the pc back on windows is in lock mode.
Mhm, okay - then you probably have to change something in a 3rd party application. Is there a software provided by ASRock? You could probably can change the settings there, but I am not really sure.
If you're unable to find it, I'd suggest asking ASRock-Support the question, they can probably help you out.

(2012-07-19, 12:04)un1eash Wrote: I'm using the Asrock smart remote and usb dongle that comes with the H67M-ITX/HT. I can turn the pc on with the remote, launch windows media, change volume etc.. but when i try and turn of the pc it goes to suspend with a flashing power led, it doesnt fully power down so when i turn the pc back on windows is in lock mode.

Obvious question but you have got your xbmc shutdown function set to power off and not suspend, right?
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
(2012-07-19, 13:11)bossanova808 Wrote: Obvious question but you have got your xbmc shutdown function set to power off and not suspend, right?
You should have read everything Wink
He is not using XBMC's shutdown-function, but rather the remote shuts the system down wether XBMC is running or not - this is done by the driver.

Yes, in windows, remote button functions are controlled by the registry (driver)

With the default driver, the remote power key will always put windows in sleep mode (I haven't personally tried this, but maybe changing the settings for the "power button" or the "sleep" button in advanced power settings might change that for the remote power button as well. Normally they control the power button on the case and the sleep button on mce keyboards)

However, with a registry editor like the MCE Remote Addon, you can change this default behavior. In its settings, you'll see that the power button is set to "MCE" meaning the default windows function. You can change that to anything you want including shut down. That way the power button will turn off the pc instead of sleep.

EDIT:
Actually the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that the "sleep" or "power" button functions in the advanced power settings will help you. Because my guess is that this remote dongle sends all keypresses in the MCE remote format except for the power button. That button is sent as an mce keyboard power/sleep keypress. That is how it is able to wake up the computer from a total shutdown without the cir. In the bios, there is a specific setting for allowing wake from shutdown through a keyboard keypress.

I bought this remote and dongle last week, but haven't even opened the package yet. I'll further investigate once I do.
Unless Im wrong....none of these solutions or mce remotes do full shutdown when you press the power button.. I would love to be corrected as im curious about doing full shutdown. I think i am going to need remote software for discrete on and off however...

My rosewill remote came, i like it so far.

Im in the process of building my htpc so im just testing on a desktop, and so far i cannot power on my pc from full off? Maybe i did not do something properly, but my impression is you need a board like the asrock with cir headers that can be turned on from s5 full shutdown for this to work... Im using an older gigabyte motherboard, and a fractal design define r3 on my desktop.

If anyone knows if you need an asrock and cir header motherboard i would love clarification, i assume everyone on here is using asrock motherboards? I turned on wake from shutdown with keyboard press in the bios, but nothing Sad

I also tried every usb port.

Looking at a post by eskro he said

"looks like your IR receiver supports the "MCIR keyboard protocol" ,,,
thats why it allows to cold boot the A75M-ITX mobo!!"

So i think when I build my htpc i need one that supports MCIR keyboard protocol, like the asrock, which is not a big deal, i was looking at an asrock model with that anyway. But i still wouldnt mind clarification.

Also bossanova or any harmony owners do you have discrete on and off commands with harmony? I came across a thread here with codes. I am very interested in discrete codes.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Re...426/page/2

2nd post, would love to know if these discrete codes work. Although im unsure if you can input hex code on harmonies.
They definitely do do full shut-down - to cold. And you do not need discrete codes to achieve it - just use MCE keyboard mode in the Harmony software and use the PwrToggle option...done. And that's with the Formosa usb receiver plugged into a USB2 port in turn plugged into a USB (NOT CIR) header on the mobo.

That's really all there is to it with harmony/asrock mobo (but most mobos will start up from a USB keyboard actually)/and formose receiver.

I've figured it out. I'm using the cir port and the only thing I couldn't do was shutdown the pc with the remote. It would only go into sleep mode but I found a registry hack that allows shutdown as a sleep option in the control panel. Now instead of sleep I can turn of the pc with the remote from windows.
Could you please share it? unleash.

(2012-07-21, 11:25)bossanova808 Wrote: They definitely do do full shut-down - to cold. And you do not need discrete codes to achieve it - just use MCE keyboard mode in the Harmony software and use the PwrToggle option...done. And that's with the Formosa usb receiver plugged into a USB2 port in turn plugged into a USB (NOT CIR) header on the mobo.

That's really all there is to it with harmony/asrock mobo (but most mobos will start up from a USB keyboard actually)/and formose receiver.

Yes, I understand it does full shutdown to cold boot, but for macros you cant put in a power toggle for a macro. Because if you have an htpc macro to turn on or switch to the htpc, and you hit the htpc macro, if its already on, it will turn it off. And vice versa. Thats why im curious about discrete codes and if they work, i dont know if hex codes work on a harmony though. But most advanced remote software it does.

As for the cir, i understand it does not need to be plugged into it, but the motherboard has to support power on from s5 and those asrock boards with cir headers do. I turned on wake computer with keyboard, but again it works from sleep, but not full shutdown. I think thats why eskro encouraged the asrock boards, because they can be turned on from full S5 shutdown, not all motherboards can. I would love to be corrected though.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MCE Remote Turn ON HTPC FOUND! w/DONGLE in front of your CASE!4