Home server
Question 
hi,

i would like to build a energy efficient home server, but I don't know what kind of hardware I need. Can someone help me?

I'm going to use the server:
- as a media server for 3 pc's (720p) with xbmc
- as a file/backup server
- to play lan games (that are on the file server)
- as a ftp server

Which os do you recommend, and why? And what kind of hardware?

Thanks in advance for answering.
I'd recommend checking out eskro's unRaid server build guide, even if you go with something other than unRaid, it's still a good guide for the hardware. For running additional addons, you may need more RAM or possibly a more powerful processor although I don't know how much. ProFTPD is an available addon for unRaid though so it would do everything you're looking for:

eskro's unRaid guide

HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

WHS 2011 works well with PCs for the backup - along with its SMB sharing for media.

Need your budget and total storage requirements though.
(2012-06-08, 22:06)Mick1152 Wrote: I'd recommend checking out eskro's unRaid server build guide, even if you go with something other than unRaid, it's still a good guide for the hardware. For running additional addons, you may need more RAM or possibly a more powerful processor although I don't know how much. ProFTPD is an available addon for unRaid though so it would do everything you're looking for:

eskro's unRaid guide
Forgot to mention i realy like the sickbeard / sabnzbd combination and running XAMPP on the lan (developing websites). Does it work with unRAID? And is there a good alternative for unRAID?

(2012-06-08, 22:18)live4ever Wrote: WHS 2011 works well with PCs for the backup - along with its SMB sharing for media.

Need your budget and total storage requirements though.
Budget: $200-$250 (with no hdd)
Total storage: 4TB is a good beginning i think (I already have a 2TB which is slowly getting filled)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Home server0