Release MyPicsDB: Pictures DB with EXIF, IPTC & XMP tags
(2012-08-08, 16:02)Xycl Wrote: Really good idea. How should the filter look like?
I mean it must be usable for someone without knowledge of boolean algebra and it must not take 10 mins. to set a filter to show pictures from you and me Big Grin
Well - use the current Filter Wizard with a bit of minor (he he Smile) tweaking. Right now all filters are selected at once, which is a problem when creating more advanced filters. This would change the current approach with checkmarks next to the selected elements into a filter statement, that continually updates when the user selects different filters.

Something like this:
  1. The user clicks 'Persons' and selects 'Henry'
  2. The filter statement in the top reads "Persons = 'Henry'".
  3. The user clicks the 'OR' button
  4. The filter statement in the top reads "Persons = 'Henry' OR"
  5. The user select Persons -> 'John'
  6. The filter statement in the top reads "Persons = 'Henry' OR Persons = 'John'"
  7. The user clicks the 'AND' button
  8. The filter statement in the top reads "Persons = 'Henry' OR Persons = 'John' AND"
  9. The user clicks the 'Delete last' button
  10. The filter statement in the top reads "Persons = 'Henry' OR Persons = 'John'"
  11. ... And so much later
  12. The filter statement in the top reads "Persons = 'Henry' OR Persons = 'John' NOT (Persons = 'Michelle' OR Persons = 'Jackie')
Options should include 'AND', 'OR', 'NOT', '()', and 'Delete last'

For the novice user, this approach would still be easy. Finding all images with Persons = 'Mike' is still only one click away, and finding all images with Persons = 'Mike' AND Keywords = 'Baking' is actually easier than it is today. I do believe that even somewhat novice users would be able to predict the outcome of that filter statement.

Latest danish translation at ftp://rlyeh.dk/danish.xml

FFY

Messages In This Thread
RE: [RELEASE] MyPicsDB: Pictures DB with EXIF, IPTC & XMP tags - by fungify - 2012-09-12, 11:10
Beta Testers needed - by Xycl - 2012-11-06, 12:14
Filter / TAG Question ? - by knutklo - 2015-04-07, 16:38
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MyPicsDB: Pictures DB with EXIF, IPTC & XMP tags1