Zotac Zbox ID80 advice?
Hi, I just bought a Zotac Zbox ID80 with the intention to install Linux + XBMC on it and was wondering if anyone else has had success with this model or similar hardware?

After installing Ubuntu 12.04, it appears there is no sound and it is overscanning by quite a bit when connected over HDMI. There is no point installing XMBC until this is resolved.

Zotac support is useless, despite this box being advertised and Windows and Linux ready - they will only provide support to windows users!

Does anybody know how to go about correcting this issue?

Thanks
I know people have had success running openelec on the box.
(2012-06-23, 00:10)gabbott Wrote: I know people have had success running openelec on the box.

Yup. However, Openelec is just XBMC. You don't get a desktop of any kind.

marksmith156 Wrote:After installing Ubuntu 12.04, it appears there is no sound and it is overscanning by quite a bit when connected over HDMI. There is no point installing XMBC until this is resolved.

Overscan is generally a setting on the TV. It might be called "HD Size", "Native Resolution", or something like that. If you have one HDMI in on your receiver/TV that is listed as "HDMI/DVI" as opposed to just "HDMI", use that input.

For the sound in Ubuntu, I assume you've been to Settings > Sound and chosen the HDMI out?
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard
The other thing regarding overscan, the OP didn't mention what type of set they have. For non LCD, (e.g. Plasma, RP DLP) you may not be able to get rid of all overscan from the TV end and may have to make some adjustments from within XBMC or the OS video drivers.
Thanks for the replys.

@gabbott Yeah I tried openelec first because I had seen read about it elsewhere relating to this box. It's a bit too dumbed down for my needs. I'd like to have a full blown desktop, with browser, download managers etc. However it has a good interface to tweak the overscan settings to fit the screen so that problem is at least in principle solvable....

Re the sound problem... I'm an idiot - TV was on mute!

@Plaguester The overscan problem still persists. The display is a samsung plasma. Going through the setup menus on the tv I cannot see any display settings like the ones you mentioned. This is frustrating because as mentioned openelec has a nice interface to compensate for overscan, the search continues!
(2012-06-23, 02:09)marksmith156 Wrote: @Plaguester The overscan problem still persists. The display is a samsung plasma. Going through the setup menus on the tv I cannot see any display settings like the ones you mentioned. This is frustrating because as mentioned openelec has a nice interface to compensate for overscan, the search continues!

My friend has a Samsung Plasma that has the same problem on Boxee. I have one Samsung LCD that has the problem and one that doesn't, but I haven't found a way to correct this. Fortunately, there's a setting in the Appearance section where you can change the zoom. For my Samsung LCD, -4% does the trick. Don't know how to fix that in the desktop side of XBMCbuntu, but I really don't use that much anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac Zbox ID80 advice?0