help needed with htpc build
hey guys i am totally new to this htpc thing lately i been interested to build one but i was wondering what are the right components 2 get plus i want it a little silent if possible
i am going 2 use it as windows media center pvr with a PCI tv tuner many thanks in advance
Take a look at my hardware guide.

http://assassinhtpcblog.com/
The BEST place to get started would be to read this thread on these forums: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? (it's free and a lot of people on here have built systems based off it)

Read that, it breaks down what your requirements are and puts you in a specific group then has suggestions for what systems and components will handle the requirements of your group.

Silent can be accomplished by changing out CPU coolers, case fans and buying quiet or completely silent PSU's.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

I have actually used almost everything in my guide and recommendations.
(2012-07-02, 02:44)assassin Wrote: I have actually used almost everything in my guide and recommendations.

Congratulations. Between all the active members on these forums I'm sure they cover even more personal experience.

I'm sure your guides are great, however, I'm not going to pay $25 for access to information which is available for free on these forums and other locations on the internet. I know you have spent a lot of time, energy and money organizing guides from your experiences, but, from what I can see of your guides, I can find everything for free via Google or these forums.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the "Come to my site for information and pay me for it posts". The developers of xbmc are doing it for free in their spare time at, as much, if not far bigger loss of personal time than you, but that doesn't stop them from doing all this for free. Tons of members on these forums have spent a lot of time helping people out, making guides, updating wiki's, etc for free as well. If your guides are great, then, I'm sure people who have used them will start referring others to check them out too, those posts would have a lot more meaning to me than self interested, for profit posts.
(2012-07-01, 19:33)johnihtpc Wrote: hey guys i am totally new to this htpc thing lately i been interested to build one but i was wondering what are the right components 2 get plus i want it a little silent if possible
i am going 2 use it as windows media center pvr with a PCI tv tuner many thanks in advance

Johnihtpc, sorry, back on topic.... your PCI TV Tuner, I don't personally know much about them but, several people on the forums have been using and recommending the HD Homerun tuners, they are attached to your network instead of in your PC's PCI slot. Not sure which is better but just another option for you as well.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

My hardware guide is free. Always has been.

Please don't make assumptions about my paid guides unless you have actually seen and used them. Take a look at the feedback on my blog if you want an idea from people that have seen and used them.
assassin's hardware guide is a good read. He does a good job of breaking things down so you can get a better idea of the performance you can expect.
I saw what was offered in his paid guides, while it's not something I would use, someone may find value in what it offers.

I would have to agree with Driver 944 on Assassin's excellent guide. I purchased his guide and all i can say is...very informative for the begginner. He really breaks things down on all levels of seting up your htpc with a lot of screen shots, which is very helpful.

You should also search Eskro and Bluray. Those guys are very informative as they have helped me get started on building my first htpc. Be very careful, building an htpc is like getting a tattoo, once you get one you will get hooked and want more. I have a total of 4 htpc's that I personally built myself thanks to those guys and I had no clue what the inside of a computer looked like.
I also have to jump on the Assassin bandwagon. I got the guides and they were awesome! Bluray has so much knowledge but sometimes, especially for a guy like me, its so much easier to be walked through the process the first go around so you make sure you get it done right!

$25 for a walk through is better than the amount of money I would have spent messing it up and starting over.

I want to thank everyone on here again for their help!
(2012-07-03, 05:59)nikeft Wrote: I would have to agree with Driver 944 on Assassin's excellent guide. I purchased his guide and all i can say is...very informative for the begginner. He really breaks things down on all levels of seting up your htpc with a lot of screen shots, which is very helpful.
I'm always value knowledge and helpful hands......Assassin guide is a great source for beginner, and his free guide is very valuable too......

(2012-07-03, 05:59)nikeft Wrote: Be very careful, building an htpc is like getting a tattoo, once you get one you will get hooked and want more. I have a total of 4 htpc's that I personally built myself thanks to those guys and I had no clue what the inside of a computer looked like.
It's addicted, but it is still less expensive than addicted to Automobile......the same thing w/ my other hobby.....I planted a couple trees in my yard, and I end up with trees everywhere......I noticed my summer electric bill was lower, when I counted the trees it was nearly 30 trees……I guess that I end up w/ natural sunscreen……Big Grin
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-07-03, 16:40)mikev927 Wrote: $25 for a walk through is better than the amount of money I would have spent messing it up and starting over.
If you are a new builder, it's worth it to pay for service to get it right in your first trial........

The videos by Newegg are good source for beginner too (Paul at Newegg is a great guy, and he have no bias on his opinions)-

1. Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 1 - Choosing Your Components

2. Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 - The Build

3. Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 3 - Installing Windows & Finishing Touches
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-07-03, 05:59)nikeft Wrote: I would have to agree with Driver 944 on Assassin's excellent guide. I purchased his guide and all i can say is...very informative for the begginner. He really breaks things down on all levels of seting up your htpc with a lot of screen shots, which is very helpful.

(2012-07-03, 16:40)mikev927 Wrote: I also have to jump on the Assassin bandwagon. I got the guides and they were awesome! $25 for a walk through is better than the amount of money I would have spent messing it up and starting over.

(2012-07-03, 20:03)bluray Wrote: Assassin guide is a great source for beginner, and his free guide is very valuable too......

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback and am happy you like what I have created.

Smile 

Hey Bluray-

your comment on the tree's is so true. I planted one japanese maple and now have 12...another expensive hobby

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
help needed with htpc build0