OUYA - Android based open game console hardware platform and XBMC?
(2012-07-11, 16:27)papampi Wrote: Lets vote for xbmc on OUYA at surveymonkey !!!

OUYA:
Quote:And, if you want to vote on what you want to see on OUYA... tell us here...
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ouya

(2012-07-11, 16:36)RandomNinjaAtk Wrote:
(2012-07-11, 16:27)papampi Wrote: Lets vote for xbmc on OUYA at surveymonkey !!!

OUYA:
Quote:And, if you want to vote on what you want to see on OUYA... tell us here...
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ouya

Voted for:

1. XBMC support (xbmc.org)
2. Gigabit LAN (ethernet)
3. Steam client

The steam client is the least likely due to having to partner with Valve, but Valve has been rumored as having a linux version coming... so who knows...

That is only for games. Please don't gum up the system with things like this. It will only make it harder for them to do what they need to do.
Yes it is for only games but that's what the orginal xbox was. But with XBMC it became something more. I remember the days looking through my xbox playing some games then relaxing with some movies at the end of the night. A great price point for the ouya 99$ with xbmc support with games and emulators brings it back to xbox days
(2012-07-10, 19:22)zippenpipper Wrote: I think it looks really promising but it bothers me that it doesn't have a wired ethernet jack. I feel that that limits its potential as an xbmc box.
They already confirmed it will have an Ethernet Port.

come on... lets give these guys more support... lets give this new company a great "welcome to the game industry". =)
(2012-07-12, 05:57)JuanSitoh Wrote:
(2012-07-10, 19:22)zippenpipper Wrote: I think it looks really promising but it bothers me that it doesn't have a wired ethernet jack. I feel that that limits its potential as an xbmc box.

come on... lets give these guys more support... lets give this new company a great "welcome to the game industry". =)

source ?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2012-07-12, 11:48)pike Wrote:

source ?

Check the video, at 1:38
Only thing that I really see missing hardware-wise is an integrated infrared-reciever and an optional remote-control sold separately to let the OUYA be a great media player as well as a game console.

Sure you could use a bluetooth remote-control like the PS3 but if it at least had an IR-reciever then you can use your existing universal remote control.

Of course it would also be nice with a Blu-ray Disc / DVD-Video / CD reader for physical media but that they could easily just sell an optional external USB version to keep down the price.

Yes they could also sell the IR-reciever as an optional external USB device but it would be less professional and inconvenient for the OUYA to then work as a media player out-of-the-box too.

EDIT: Oh, I now see that it also seem to be missing an SD-memory-card slot, like most other Android devices wheather it be a phone or tablet, which is something I think it should have since it only comes with 8GB internal storage. That would be much more professional than forcing users to sacrifice a USB-port by using a USB-memory for adding more storage.
(2012-07-12, 15:16)RockerC Wrote: Only thing that I really see missing hardware-wise is an integrated infrared-reciever and an optional remote-control sold separately to let the OUYA be a great media player as well as a game console.

Sure you could use a bluetooth remote-control like the PS3 but if it at least had an IR-reciever then you can use your existing universal remote control.

Of course it would also be nice with a Blu-ray Disc / DVD-Video / CD reader for physical media but that they could easily just sell an optional external USB version to keep down the price.

Yes they could also sell the IR-reciever as an optional external USB device but it would be less professional and inconvenient for the OUYA to then work as a media player out-of-the-box too.

EDIT: Oh, I now see that it also seem to be missing an SD-memory-card slot, like most other Android devices wheather it be a phone or tablet, which is something I think it should have since it only comes with 8GB internal storage. That would be much more professional than forcing users to sacrifice a USB-port by using a USB-memory for adding more storage.

USB HUB
> IR Reciver
> 2TB HDD
> 2TB HDD
> Printer
etc etc..

I dont see the problem?
(2012-07-12, 11:48)pike Wrote:

source ?

They already said it was going to have one:
"Hey everybody - just wanted to address some of the hardware discussion! Remember we want to pack as much as we can into a tiny package for you, so we're sticking with 1GB RAM out the gate. In regards to storage - remember we've included multiple USP ports. You can slap an external HD in there or even a disk drive. We're still hammering out details, just keep in mind that we have to keep costs low and quality high! And (pssst) we're hearing rumors of Ethernet. Smile"
you can read it here: http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/ouya
Looks like a lot of people would love to see XBMC on the OUYA
http://www.gamezone.com/products/ouya/ne...ng-console
Quote:Ever since the project surpassed its Kickstarter goal, and now sits at almost $4 million, the team behind the console was already hard at work in trying to figure out the various stretch goals. Stretch goals are essentially extras or bonuses added to the Kickstarter project whenever more money is gained than originally needed.

Instead of coming up with stretch goals on their own initially however, the team has asked the community of backers to suggest what it is they would like to see added/implemented to the OUYA. There was an entire flood of suggestions ranging from bigger storage, more RAM, keyboard and mouse compatibility and others. Though out of all these various additions that future OUYA users would like to see, there is one suggestion that a majority of people seem to agree on and want to see implemented. The XBMC.

If you're unfamiliar with the term, The XBMC or Xbox Media Center is essentially an interface that allows simple browsing and playing of various types of media on your machine, and even through your network. It's also a way for you to organize all said media in easy to navigate lists, and is generally built to be used on an HDTV and being easily controlled with a remote.

So what does this mean? That despite the console being a back to the basics gaming machine, people still want to be able to watch movies, listen to music browse pictures, etc. Is this really surprising though? Not really. Especially when taking into account that earlier this year it was reported that the Xbox 360 is used more for media than it is for games.

(2012-07-12, 16:35)jompan87 Wrote: USB HUB
> IR Reciver
> 2TB HDD
> 2TB HDD
> Printer
etc etc..

I dont see the problem?
The problems are cost and usability. Integrating a built-in IR-receiver and a SD-memory-slot-reader will only cost OUYA a few dollars per unit, but if we as a user have to go out and buy anexternal USB-hub, an external USB-IR-receiver and an external USB-SD-card-reader at retail price then our own cost will be at least ten times the amount that OUYA would pay. Add that to the inconvience of having tocgo out and buy that and hoping that it will be compatible, and the fact that it might be over the head of normal users who just was a simple to use game console and media player, like they would get if they bought an Xbox360 or PS3. It is called user-friendliness.
You guys need to remember this is not a media player, this is a game machine and a simple one at that. In fact its probably more in line with the Wii style than the 360 or ps3 and putting stuff like xbmc on it is probably wayyyyyyyyy at the bottom of the list of things to do
First thing that came to mind is that finally there is a cost effective, fully open platform where everyone has the same hardware.

This has been missing from the world for a very very long time.

Time will prove it but on the surface it appears XBMC and Ouya are made for each other.

A simple game machine it may be but if it has the necessary power then it matters little what it's primary function is.

They want people to develop additional hardware. Who knows. There could be a whole range of devices that come out for this. A cheap hardware option that makes it a perfect PVR seems fairly easy to add, even with off the shelf parts without something being custom designed.

P.S. OT as it may be it would also be really really cool if this revived the 80's demo scene... Would be cool to see coders competing on fixed hardware once again, and on a machine that just happens to be awesome for gaming and media playback well... that'd be awesome Big Grin
If Ouya can launch XBMC from out side of Android, then yes they are made for each other, if not then forget it. XBMC has long way to go to port to Android.
Here is XBMC forum. Ouya has nothing to do with it for now, no need to discuss.
(2012-07-13, 08:49)rere34lm Wrote: If Ouya can launch XBMC from out side of Android, then yes they are made for each other, if not then forget it. XBMC has long way to go to port to Android.

I wonder ...
(2012-07-13, 09:34)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-07-13, 08:49)rere34lm Wrote: If Ouya can launch XBMC from out side of Android, then yes they are made for each other, if not then forget it. XBMC has long way to go to port to Android.

I wonder ...

Now now Ned, if you have something to say, just say it Wink
More articles about how people see the potential for the OUYA to be used more as multimedia player than as a gaming console

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407045,00.asp

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/11/edito...s-success/

(2012-07-13, 01:15)Jezz_X Wrote: You guys need to remember this is not a media player, this is a game machine and a simple one at that.
The same could be said about the original Xbox game console, but if people thought like that ~10-years ago we would not even have XBMC today.

The OUYA hardware has the potential to be used for much more than just for games, and if it will really cost $99 and be an "open platform" when it comes out like they promised then it will probably be used more for playing videos/movies and listen to music then for playing games on, which is something that could also almost be said about todays current game consoles too.

No hardcore gamers will buy the OUYA just for gaming, they and others will buy it for casual gaming and media playback Smile

(2012-07-13, 07:10)arkay Wrote: First thing that came to mind is that finally there is a cost effective, fully open platform where everyone has the same hardware.

This has been missing from the world for a very very long time.

Time will prove it but on the surface it appears XBMC and Ouya are made for each other.

A simple game machine it may be but if it has the necessary power then it matters little what it's primary function is.
Most of that was also true for the original Xbox back when it was first modded, it was the potential beyond the intended scope that XBMC developers and users could see for that price that was of such an interest to all of us.

To me, the OUYA with XBMC on it would more be a media player that can also be used for casual gaming, playing some Angry Birds on my big screen television at parties and such.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OUYA - Android based open game console hardware platform and XBMC?2