Complete "HTPC/XBMC For Dummies" guide
Again, most of this is already on the wiki right now. We just need people to help keep things updated, connect links between pages, etc. It's all nice and fine to say "that would be great" but if no one does it then it never happens.

Bull. It is without a doubt the worst wiki I have ever used. The information is about as useful as telling someone "To change the tires on your car, remove the present tires and replace with new ones." That doesn't really explain which tools to use and which steps to follow in a comprehensible way... unless you've already gone to the trouble of familiarizing yourself with the entire wiki. Click here and open another page to see what I mean. And then click another page to see what that page means. And then click open four more windows to understand the terms referenced on those pages. After giving up on XBMC many many years ago because I found it too frustrating and convoluted compared to other media centers, I managed to figure it out through trial and error and advice from friends. Click here to see which friends and what they said. However, when I decided to google one simple question hoping for a straight answer, I found pages upon pages of useless information that assumed I was familiar with code and jargon which totally escapes me. Click here to see which code and jargon I'm referring to. I'm not a stupid person by any means. In fact, I'm usually the person everyone calls for help with technology. Click here to see what kind of technology. But even I find myself clicking on link after link, going in circles, taking more steps to find an answer than are likely involved in solving the problem. I shouldn't have to open 16 browser tabs just to get an answer that could be summed up in a sentence or a simple FAQ. Click here to see the FAQ. Alas, I have to research and understand the inner workings of the entire system just to stumbles across a simple command. If people easily understood the wiki, they wouldn't be asking for a simpler version -- so responding to requests for a coherent explanation shouldn't be answered with replies like "it's already there." Click here to see what's already there. Do you get it yet?? Are you annoyed?? Going back to my car analogy, a person who has never changed a tire needs to be walked through it in terms the average Joe will understand. But alas... I've learned to take apart my car in less time and I still can't figure out an answer to my XBMC woes. I've been struggling with XBMC on and off for eight years now. I learned to drive, fix my own car, started my own business, and renovate a house in less than two. The wiki is friggin ridiculous Confused

Messages In This Thread
RE: Complete "HTPC/XBMC For Dummies" guide - by freakydisco - 2013-04-02, 06:29
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Complete "HTPC/XBMC For Dummies" guide0