[unRAID] Do you guys preclear your drives?
(2017-08-13, 21:31)Harro Wrote:
(2017-08-13, 11:58)idgforum Wrote: If I swap out an old 2 TB disk and put in a 6TB can I first precleared it from the USB 3 port?

The parity drive is 4TB and UnRaid gonna use the 6 TB as a parity drive when I take the old disk out and put the new 6 TB in a SATA port .

PS - I have a 6 TB WD book I gona dissemble after preclear https://youtu.be/P5uKkGT8i4g

You can preclear the 6TB from usb port, but if the 6TB is in an enclosure , I would run some fans on it. Heat is the No.1 case for drive failures and preclear will heat that up fast. Once you swap the 6tb for the 4tb parity will need to be rebuilt.

Tanks for the tips about fan. Then I first take out the disk from the enclosure and put it in a USB dock and then let a USB-fan blow on it.
(2017-08-14, 13:26)idgforum Wrote:
(2017-08-13, 21:31)Harro Wrote:
(2017-08-13, 11:58)idgforum Wrote: If I swap out an old 2 TB disk and put in a 6TB can I first precleared it from the USB 3 port?

The parity drive is 4TB and UnRaid gonna use the 6 TB as a parity drive when I take the old disk out and put the new 6 TB in a SATA port .

PS - I have a 6 TB WD book I gona dissemble after preclear https://youtu.be/P5uKkGT8i4g

You can preclear the 6TB from usb port, but if the 6TB is in an enclosure , I would run some fans on it. Heat is the No.1 case for drive failures and preclear will heat that up fast. Once you swap the 6tb for the 4tb parity will need to be rebuilt.

Tanks for the tips about fan. Then I first take out the disk from the enclosure and put it in a USB dock and then let a USB-fan blow on it.

I, personnaly have been shucking these.Seagate Expansion 8TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0. I have 8 of them running with no problems and temps are lower than my 4TB 7200 drives by about 3-5 degrees. Plan on replacing all of my drives with these 8TB drives. I precleared them after shucking the case though, thought for the price I would take the gamble.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[unRAID] Do you guys preclear your drives?1