Tagging solo artists from music supergroups
Looking for some guidance, please, on music tags and how XMBC parses them.

I have not found a way to catalog a 'supergroup' album or track such that each of the members has an artist record which can then be associated with their respective solo recordings and other group projects.

Example (supergroup):
Album = Milestones
AlbumArtist = Miles Davis Sextet
Artist = Miles Davis
Artist = Cannonball Adderley
Artist = John Coltrane
Artist = Red Garland
Artist = Paul Chambers
Artist = Philly Joe Jones

I understand ID3v2.4 allows only one of each text frame, so multiple artist frames is not an option.

In my tests, if albumartist is set to 'Miles Davis Sextet' and artist is set to 'Miles Davis/Cannonball Adderley/John Coltrane/Red Garland/Paul Chambers/Philly Joe Jones', the resulting insertion in the library is one artist named 'Miles Davis Sextet' and one artist named 'Miles Davis/Cannonball Adderley/John Coltrane/Red Garland/Paul Chambers/Philly Joe Jones'.

Tagged this way, the members of this supergroup who are major album artists in their own right don't appear individually in the library, when we'd like to see 'Miles Davis', 'Cannonball Adderley', 'John Coltrane' and so on.

Another example: ex-Beatles

Is there a way to tag (or have XBMC parse tags) to index each major player who's recorded both as part of an albumartist/group and as an albumartist/soloist?

If you space 'em out:

Miles Davis / Cannonball Adderley / etc.

then XBMC will detect 'em as separate. The default separator is " / ". Alternatively, you can change the separator to "/" via advancedsettings.xml if you prefer (though watch your AC/DC tracks).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2012-08-09, 03:25)rightbrain Wrote: Looking for some guidance, please, on music tags and how XMBC parses them.

I have not found a way to catalog a 'supergroup' album or track such that each of the members has an artist record which can then be associated with their respective solo recordings and other group projects.

Example (supergroup):
Album = Milestones
AlbumArtist = Miles Davis Sextet
Artist = Miles Davis
Artist = Cannonball Adderley
Artist = John Coltrane
Artist = Red Garland
Artist = Paul Chambers
Artist = Philly Joe Jones

I understand ID3v2.4 allows only one of each text frame, so multiple artist frames is not an option.

In my tests, if albumartist is set to 'Miles Davis Sextet' and artist is set to 'Miles Davis/Cannonball Adderley/John Coltrane/Red Garland/Paul Chambers/Philly Joe Jones', the resulting insertion in the library is one artist named 'Miles Davis Sextet' and one artist named 'Miles Davis/Cannonball Adderley/John Coltrane/Red Garland/Paul Chambers/Philly Joe Jones'.

Tagged this way, the members of this supergroup who are major album artists in their own right don't appear individually in the library, when we'd like to see 'Miles Davis', 'Cannonball Adderley', 'John Coltrane' and so on.
eg miles davis / cannonball adderly etc etc for some reason this works for me and may work for you
Another example: ex-Beatles

Is there a way to tag (or have XBMC parse tags) to index each major player who's recorded both as part of an albumartist/group and as an albumartist/soloist?

try adding a space around the separator
Check out my Fanart.tv stuff!
...........I also accept disc requests if image not on fanart.tv database !!!!
Thanks, Jonathan.

Missed entirely that distinction in the separator.

And, yes, when it matches what's set in advancedsettings.xml, artist tagging works exactly as it should.
Thanks, leepenny. That works.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tagging solo artists from music supergroups 0