Problem with smb shares asking for a password.
i have read and searched everything and experimented any single tip suggested on these forum. none has worked -- the code is broken and the weird thing is that is weird bug does not get fixed; devs should give the pri to the connectivity instead of add new feature....anyway it's a free product and you get what you have with no complains, isn't it?! :veryangry:
the code is not broken. im using cvs from 31.07.05 and it works perfectly for me.
you need to look into your setup again.
it is broken, when you specify your usename/password for your pc in the smb share tag then, when connection to your pc you should be able to access every folder, the moment i try to get to my desktop it asks for a username/password, which it should not ask for as i alread gave it this need information... i beleive that xbmc is not sending the username/password to the pc correctly like it should... i've used the same setup for 8 months and never had a problem until the recent build, if i go back to an older build from say april, guess what, it works again... and what i said above can be found in the xbmc user manual....
i am runing the latest build and have 0 problems runin samba there are a few difference but after i set my xml up right havent had any problems with it askin me for my username and password. i was having problems at first but i realized i had been an idiot and forgotten to change workgroup to my network name. once that was set right everything works like a charm. do me a fav and post your smb code outta your xml. i just wanna compare what we have. it just bugs me that your still havin problems.

edit.....sorry nevermind just found what you had ont he previous page...lol i guess i should read that previous page eh?

<bookmark>
<name>network my pc (amygrrl c)</name>
<path>smb://amygrrlConfused[email protected]/amygrrl c</path>
</bookmark>

ok that is the exact same setup i have as well....do me a fav i ran into a prob once settin up my buddies and this was the fix. i didnt have a space where it should have been. so check that. make sure your folder location (in this case your c drive) is exactly how it is on your pc. second if that doesnt work try enterin a slash after the folder name. ie) enter your folder name in the xml like this
/amygrrl c/</path>

i know that sounds really stupid but i forgot that on the setup i didn last nite and it kept askin for a password on the music folder.
interesting, i tried adding the slash at the end like you suggested, makes no difference. xbmc is not authenticating with the pc like it should.
i only have this problem when i try to access my drives (like amygrrl, i share my entire drives) via smb through my pictures in xbmc. my videos, and music are fine.

Quote:to enable inherited permissions, do the following:
1. right click directory and click “properties”
2. click the “security” tab
3. click “advanced”
4. at the bottom are two checkboxes, add a check the checkbox that reads “replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects”
5. click “apply” and you might see a dialog box as the permissions are applied
6. click ok
7. done

this didn't work for me.
hmmm this is very odd....i cant see why it would be workin for me and not for you....unless its somthin to do with the network and a setting in the new build of xbmc. maybe theres a diff setting that your network doesnt like. because i know it pops up and asks you for the id and password if it cant find your pc. when i first set the one up the other nite i didnt realize he was usuin somthin diff than mshome for his network name and it gave me the onscreen keyboard to enter user name and password. so that was a matter of the xbox not even seein the pc. im thinkin its a setting someplace either in your network or pc end or in the xbox end that either is dif and/or needs to be diff for the new build. thats all i can think of....very odd. if you can see if you can try connecting your xbox to share with a friends pc and see if you get the same prob if you dont then that eliminates the network. these are the draw backs of the "latest and greatest" things. theres always bugs to work out on a case to case basis.

p.s. ghostdog__ double check your xml code for your pics folder and make sure its setup exactly like the other two and make sure the folder info is entered exactly as it is on your pc(spaces and all)
i have the same problem with all the later versions. had to go back a few months of builds again.
i cant find an old build.. could anyone point me in the right direction?
i've found that if i just share a specified folder, and not the entire c drive (i mounted the drives into one shared folder following the guide at http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s...233298&hl= i don't have this problem. i just don't get why this only occurs with my pictures. i've even tried setting up smb with no password, and the problem still occurs.

smb://xbox:password@retestrak/myshareddrives/
smb://xbox:[email protected]/myshareddrives
smb://retestrak;xbox:[email protected]/myshareddrives
smb://192.xxx.x.xx//myshareddrives

it doesn't matter what format i use. my videos, my music, and my programs are fine. only my pictures has this problem. very weird.
i also have this problem for some time now, i have to use the ip address otherwise the username/password question is popping up.

i keep 1 share with the hostname to try some time’s if it works again!

<bookmark>
<name>#downloading</name>
<path>smb://soholocal;xbox:xbox@sohogsx01/software library$/p2p/incomm/music</path>
</bookmark>

it’s odd that i can access the share using the ip address. if i check info/network the dns ip address is not what it should get from my dhcp server (it shows my adsl routers internal ip). anyway on all those ip addresses i can resolve sohogsx01 to the correct ip address 10.0.0.1.

i’m quit lost on this, my server is w2k3 and i wonder if i have to change smb signing policy setting, i’m not sure…
isn't it just you have a space in you share name/pathHuh

don't know if it'd work but you could try putting the whole thing in quotes

i.e "\\server\path\with space\in it"
(awaldram @ aug. 10 2005,20:44 Wrote:isn't it just you have a space in you share name/pathHuh

don't know if it'd work but you could try putting the whole thing in quotes

i.e "\\server\path\with space\in it"
i guess not:

if i change

<path>smb://soholocal;xbox:xbox@sohogsx01/software library$/p2p/incomm/music</path>

to

<path>smb://10.0.0.1;xbox:xbox@sohogsx01/software library$/p2p/incomm/music</path>

i can access the files, and the space remains.....

on an older xbmc build the path is giving a access denied.....

i think it has something today met de way windows 2003 shares are working.... but i can't find more information..
i've been having a similar problem. the login boxes would just keep appearing. however, i am able to get the files to appear when in automatic (dhcp) network setting. however, i'm not able to ftp to my xbox when in automatic (dhcp), which is quite annoying since i have to continuously switch back and forth. so, i basically also am having trouble with smb when i manually set network settings.
i’m really trying hard to solve this one:

for my windows 2003 domain controller --- i have disabled the default domain controller policy under administrative tools-> controller security policy->security settings, local policies, security options, "microsoft network server: digitally sign communications (always)" and run gpupdate, restarted the server.

on my windows 2003 file server --- digitally sign communications is already disabled in the default domain domain policy

i also have enabled netbios over tcp/ip on the file server nic where xbox is pointed at.

in the past i had this working but now (after a server reinstallation) it doesn’t work anymore. if i go back to my old xbmc v1.0 (static directory everything worked) i get a access denied on the shares, so it’s clear to me that it's not xbmc but the network setup.

i hope there is somebody who know exactly what is needed to make this work, using a w2k3 domain. for now i’m lost..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with smb shares asking for a password.0