Naming DVD rips of TV Shows
Hi all,

This is my first post. I apologise in advance if this has been covered somewhere, but I've been reading these forums for hours and haven't been able to find (or at least, understand if I've found) an answer to this:

I rip my DVDs using MakeMKV, with a folder for each disc (eg. MKVOut/Scrubs5_1) for Scrubs season 5 disc 1.

I need to have different output folders for the different discs, because otherwise the output files (named title00, title01 etc) will overwrite each other.

I'm certain there must be an easy way (from this point) to get to a point where they can be successfully "scraped".

Other than a fairly time-consuming (and easy to make mistakes!) Bulk Rename (using a generic bulk renaming program, which I configure to rename files as Scrubs5. and then append a number, where I have to set the initial number for each disc's folder), I can't work out how this can be done.

From what I've read, I need some kind of RegExp in advancedsettings.xml which can:
a) Get the season number from the folder (but ignore the disc name)
b) Get the episode number from the files WHILE
c) Incrementing the episode numbers by disc (i.e. title01 on disc 2 maps to episode 8)

I can't see any simple way to do this (particularly the last step). To complicate matters further, even within the same series, there are often varying numbers of episodes per disc.

Is there something I'm missing, or is this beyond the scope of the tools we have?

Cheers,
Scott
The easiest way is to rename the mkv files after MakeMKV is done and then put all episodes in the one directory for that season.

Scrubs
Season 05
Scrubs.S05E01.DVD.mkv
Scrubs.S05E02.DVD.mkv

That's how I do it with MakeMKV (but to be honest I got tired of renaming the files so I wrote a script for that that gets the episode names from thetvdb and then rename the files with the epsiode title in the name).

It's a little more work when you rip, but you have a structure that will work with most frontends and Media Managers.
I guess what I was looking for was a way that is a little more autonomous - I'm happy to put in the effort, I'm not saying everything in life should be easy, but I feel that when it comes to a (conceptually!) simple programming matter there must be a way!

Cheers
Scott

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Naming DVD rips of TV Shows0