• 11(current)
Why not WMC as backend?
Hi Krustyreturns......just wondering when you might release what you have for others to test?
I would also like to test this(atv2/android/windows). I've noticed other PVR plugins arent platform exclusive, is this not going to be the case here? Would ther be any way for the conflicting recordind to be cancelled? I've seen stb that have a "about to start recording, cancel recording and stay on this channel" dialog.
How did I miss this...? Smile This sounds awesome - WMC is a great PVR/LiveTV backend, and it'd be another great option.

I don't have a TV tuner card currently (lent it to a friend) but when I get it back, I'll be very interested with this Smile
(2013-03-19, 00:52)smacrae Wrote: Hi Krustyreturns......just wondering when you might release what you have for others to test?

I'm hoping within one week, but its highly dependent on my free time allocation.

(2013-03-19, 01:02)spyder Wrote: I would also like to test this(atv2/android/windows). I've noticed other PVR plugins arent platform exclusive, is this not going to be the case here? Would ther be any way for the conflicting recordind to be cancelled? I've seen stb that have a "about to start recording, cancel recording and stay on this channel" dialog.

Pvr clients for xbmc are ALL written in c++, which means they have to be compiled on every platform you want to run it on. So if it runs on multi-platform, someone has compiled it on those platforms. I can only do windows, currently (I would like to try ras-pi eventually though, because I want one). If/when I get this stable enough I will release the client source code so that interested (and experienced) parties can try to port the code to other platforms. But I have tried to be clear throughout this thread that I am only working on windows right now.

That "about to start recording" dialog is what wmc does too. I can't find a way to do that in xbmc (so far).
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
(2013-03-19, 16:19)krustyreturns Wrote: Pvr clients for xbmc are ALL written in c++, which means they have to be compiled on every platform you want to run it on.
I wasn't aware of that, I figured since it was the same plugin download the xbmc software handled the differences in different platforms.
Looking forward to testing this. I'm hoping this is more stable/reliable than existing PVR solutions.
Yes, very excited to try this out. Other pvr solutions I have tested where not very usable and stable. MCE is old but has the most stable PVR solution out there, surprised that it was not used before by XBMC as backend.
Looking forward to this
(2013-03-19, 21:07)deletedpenguin Wrote: Looking forward to testing this. I'm hoping this is more stable/reliable than existing PVR solutions.

I have been using it instead of wmc and it has been stable for me (but as Feynman says, the person doing the work is the easiest person to fool). Whether its more or less stable than other setups though I can't comment on.

Its worth mentioning again, for all interested parties, that this software DEPENDS on wmc already being setup. In other words, if you don't have wmc already configured with your tuners and downloading EPG data, this server/client setup will do nothing. It doesn't require wmc to be running, but it requires the services that wmc starts in the background (epg and recording) to be there.
I am also looking forward to testing this on Windows 8 with WMC already configured. Smile
(2013-03-19, 16:19)krustyreturns Wrote: (I would like to try ras-pi eventually though, because I want one)

Raspberry Pi extenders; that was my first thought too when I first stumbled upon this thread Smile

It's also been brought up by others when I mentioned your project over at The Green Button.
WMC configured and waiting. Smile
Do we need WMC on the same computer with xbmc?
stven, no...but at the moment I am guessing all clients will need to be a Windows version of XBMC
right. xmbc doesn't even need to be installed on the "server" wmc machine. The clients that connect to the server need to be windows (for now), but they do NOT have to have wmc installed on them.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why not WMC as backend?11