Thoughts on current State of XBMC (touch, user experience)
(2012-09-07, 09:41)james666 Wrote: I totally feel no one shares my visions Big Grin

Its about the usability/controlling of such a touch optimized view, not about the view itself. There will be millions of future win8 tablet users (surface,hybrids and more), then there are the other millions of android users and of course all ios users. And right now noone is able or will be able to controll their tv xbmc media center by touch the way i described.

Every touch remote has the approach to show the content and navigationbars/buttons on the touch device itself, which i find very suboptimal, and noone seems to bother.

In my mind the first person who successfully combines a touch friendly skin for the big screen and a cross platform remote app, which lets you controll your xbmc setup the way i described before, will produce the most successfull xbmc skin/app of all time...

Well the i suggest you start working on it then.
XBMC is opensource so every one is free to contribute to it.
We all have our own preferences and if no dev is interested in doing this it won't happen.

We are not obligated to do anything and most of us work at things they would use themselves too.
Sure they listen to users but in the end it's still up to them if they will work on that
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-09-07, 09:41)james666 Wrote: I totally feel no one shares my visions Big Grin

Its about the usability/controlling of such a touch optimized view, not about the view itself. There will be millions of future win8 tablet users (surface,hybrids and more), then there are the other millions of android users and of course all ios users. And right now noone is able or will be able to controll their tv xbmc media center by touch the way i described.

Every touch remote has the approach to show the content and navigationbars/buttons on the touch device itself, which i find very suboptimal, and noone seems to bother.

In my mind the first person who successfully combines a touch friendly skin for the big screen and a cross platform remote app, which lets you controll your xbmc setup the way i described before, will produce the most successfull xbmc skin/app of all time...
So, what you're saying is that all the software you've mentioned i.e. XBMC, and the iOS and Android remote apps work just fine and do a lot more than you first quoted, but they don't work the way you specifically want them to. This has nothing to do with vision or direction of XBMC, rather it has everything to do with you wanting the software to be specifically tailored to your desires.

As Martijn said, in not so many words, patches welcome.
IMO, touch control for XBMC is a misconcept. TV screen is 10 feet away from your finger, you can not touch it, always mean to be remote controlled. The viewers spend most of the movie time in the dark. the buttonless surface is meaningless and is bright in the dark it hurts eyes and annoy. XBMC for tablet is good when you on the move, but sacrifies the viewing experience of the movies with the small screens.

The touch remote could be nice but will not replace the traditional TV remote controller, which is become our second nature.
Good comment rere34lm!
I guess many share your opinion, since i don´t see much development in this direction.

But i dont think the remote has to be "bright" or show any colors at all.
I think, it would be enough for the touch app on the whatever device, to show a dark area which recognizes your finger movement (swipe left/right/up/down) or one finger tip to select, two finger tip for "back" . 3 finger swipe bring up needed menus or whatever...
With the right skin, this could turn out to be an excellent way to control your xbmc touch skin...

It has never been tried, but this does not mean its not any good!
I think art syncing is more important to a mobile device than getting pinch and zoom...

When I add a movie on my desktop or HTPC, thanks to the magic of mySQL, it's instantly available on the iPad too... but no art...

But I understand that something is being done about this in Frodo, so I'm eagerly awaiting Frodo, and would love to see no new feature enhancements until that arrives :p
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
I think XBMC Commander does what you'd like with its Remote screen, although I'm not sure about the picture requests. No need for looking at the tablet while you browse your movie collection, or while you watch a movie and would like to pause it. What I'm saying is that it has a nice range of gesture based controls in the remote section of the app. Give it a go Smile
thanks for the info, will take a look! Smile
All I have to add to this is that I understand what you are saying james666, and this is exactly what I want for myself. Alas, I long to be able to swipe through my movies on my Android device just as you described, but the great apps like Constellation and XMBC Commander aren't available on Android.
(2012-09-11, 20:47)clock2113 Wrote: I think art syncing is more important to a mobile device than getting pinch and zoom...

When I add a movie on my desktop or HTPC, thanks to the magic of mySQL, it's instantly available on the iPad too... but no art...

But I understand that something is being done about this in Frodo, so I'm eagerly awaiting Frodo, and would love to see no new feature enhancements until that arrives :p
You may need to enable thumbail and fanart syncing for SQL Try these Instructions I followed

*I don't have an iPad so not 100% sure if that will fix it, but it solved that same issue between 2 PC's for me
(2012-11-06, 09:06)SteelWolf Wrote: All I have to add to this is that I understand what you are saying james666, and this is exactly what I want for myself. Alas, I long to be able to swipe through my movies on my Android device just as you described, but the great apps like Constellation and XMBC Commander aren't available on Android.

I installed YASTE on my Nexus 7 and Galaxy S3 yesterday, and it works very well on both. I had previously used the Official XBMC Remote, but when it quit working with the Nightly builds, I had to find an alternative. With it, I can browse all of my movies and TV Shows through the tablet/phone interface, select the show I want to watch, click Play and have it start playing on the big screen.
Zero touch experience, I wanted to get a Tablet with Tegra2 but couldn't find anything with usb ports (must have USB), Something that I could run a terminal and Browser and IRC clients etc,

So atm I haven't found anything, any ideas?

uNi
(2012-11-07, 21:40)Klyde Wrote: You may need to enable thumbail and fanart syncing for SQL Try these Instructions I followed

Too slow; I have an SSD in my main HTPC, I want to use it for art! :p
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
(2012-11-08, 01:48)uNiversal Wrote: Zero touch experience, I wanted to get a Tablet with Tegra2 but couldn't find anything with usb ports (must have USB), Something that I could run a terminal and Browser and IRC clients etc,

So atm I haven't found anything, any ideas?

uNi
I wouldn't go with a Tegra2 chipset, there's no NEON coprocessor, so getting any type of hardware acceleration in the future is going to take longer, if it happens at all. I'd recommend getting the Tegra3 if at all possible, if you want to stick with nVidia.
i like the control concept of video's also james... for music you could try music pump. It works great
(2012-11-09, 22:17)pumkinut Wrote: I wouldn't go with a Tegra2 chipset, there's no NEON coprocessor, so getting any type of hardware acceleration in the future is going to take longer, if it happens at all. I'd recommend getting the Tegra3 if at all possible, if you want to stick with nVidia.

I think it's more about general processing (the gui, various parts of XBMC, etc) than it is about video hardware decoding. Although it most likely does effect software decoding.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thoughts on current State of XBMC (touch, user experience)0