Running XBMC Library on 2 systems Linux and Windows
Hello, i have the portable version of XBMC installed on a removable HDD on my windows machine and it works perfectly.
However i usually go to other peoples houses and would like to be able to open my library from there. Particularly I'm talking about a Linux machine. Is there any way to open the library from linux?
thanks,
I use Linux and windows at home so I may be able to help you but I'm not sure I understand your question... Are your media files located on the same removable hard drive as your xbmc portable installation? Or are you trying to access files stored on your home pc from other people's homes over the net? I'm assuming the former but just want to be sure.

In any case, you (generally speaking) won't be able to run anything *.exe on a Linux box except under WINE which is pretty pointless for xbmc as there are Linux native options out there. Consider using XBMCbutu from a USB thumb drive (preferred) or cd and your have your friends Linux box boot from that. From there you should be able to access your removable drive. Vanilla Ubuntu has support for windows file systems (NTFS/FAT) out of the box so I'd guess XBMCbuntu does as well.

Hope that helped, best of luck to you!
Hey, thanks for the answer. Yes that is exactly what i mean, i have my movise on an external drive and would like to see them in other computers. I understand exes don't run in Linux, i'm just asking if i can install the linux version at the same time so they both use the same database. thus opening in windows or linux would display all my movies, and any changes done would be recorded on both systems.
again, thanks
The trick would be getting Linux to look at the portable drive for the userdata (wiki) folder. Maybe symlinks, but that would be required for every linux computer you used it on. I guess it would also be possible to compile a version of XBMC that looked specifically on your portable drive for the userdata folder.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running XBMC Library on 2 systems Linux and Windows0