LINUX - remove "There is no sound card" message
Hi

I am running XBMC 11 on Ubuntu 12.4. This is my first Linux experience so please bear with me.

When starting XMBC from a terminal In noticed that it throws a message "there is no sound card" when starting up.

This seems to irritate the remote control daemon that I am using to start XBMC, it seems to intercept this message and does not continue to process IR commands.

Is there a way to start XBMC without getting this message?

I tried to redirect the output to /dev/null but it still gets printed to the terminal.

Thank you, any help is greatly appreciated.

Martin
I managed to find out a few more details:

* the message seems to be generated by pygame.init(), running Python, importing pygame and running pygame.init() yields the same result

>>> import pygame
>>> pygame.init()
there is no soundcard
(6, 0)

* pygame.init() is being called in FEH.py

I can bypass FEH.py by using the --no-test parameter on the xbmc command line or by starting /usr/lib/xbmc.bin directly.

Unfortunately there seems to be another call to the pygame.init() somewhere down the line. The error message still come out.

martin@media:/usr/share/xbmc$ xbmc --no-test
there is no soundcard
martin@media:/usr/share/xbmc$

Sound works perfectly though.

I have an ATI 5750 graphics card and use a HDMI connection to my amp. Everything is working fine including pass-through.

Unfortunately this has taken me to the end of the flagpole in my investigation skills. If anyone would be kind enough to guide me in further investigating I would be most grateful. In case this is not posted according to the guidelines I sincerely apologize, any help in getting it right is greatly appreciated.

martin@media:/usr/share/xbmc$ /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin --version
XBMC Media Center 11.0 Git:Unknown
Copyright © 2005-2011 Team XBMC - http://www.xbmc.org

martin@media:/usr/share/xbmc$ uname -a
Linux media 3.2.0-29-generic-pae #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 27 17:25:43 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
martin@media:/usr/share/xbmc$

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LINUX - remove "There is no sound card" message0