• 87(current)
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
Anyone know this ?

Can I hooked it up like so:
Hdmi 1 to tv for video (3D blu Ray)
Hdmi 2 to Avr 1.3 for hd audio bitstreaming

Like i do now with my nvidia gt430 ?
Hi, guys!

I bought a Celeron NUC. I'm on Openelec 3.15.

It's reallys fast, NOX works like a charm! But I got the following issues/questions:

1. The fan is annoying. I'm not willing to buy the extra 99€ case yet. Is there an app that alters the speed? Speed Fan returns a log error...

2. How do you wake up the NUC via WOL? I activated S4/S5 in bios (not the deepstandby setting), but I can't find a S3 setting. Openelec shows me, that WOL is on (ethtool -s eth0 wol g --> returns g).

3.And finally, how do you map the buttons for the PS3remote? I've been googling for hours for a solution. I've found many how-tos, I installed xbmc-ps3d, bluez-tools and so on but I can't find the correct keymap.xml. The remote is working, but I want to set the buttons myself.

Thanks in advance Big Grin
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
(2013-08-11, 01:04)Ned Scott Wrote: Someone wanted to add a note about the NUC to the wiki, so we made a wiki page for NUC notes: NUC (wiki).

Feel free to go wild.

Hope what I've written is ok. Smile
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Looks great!
1 nitpick/correction - In the link to Beta drivers you say "62 bit" rather than 64 Smile
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
(2013-08-12, 00:07)scarecrow420 Wrote: 1 nitpick/correction - In the link to Beta drivers you say "62 bit" rather than 64 Smile

That bit wasn't me. But I'll edit it lol.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Is there a spare fan header on the board? Or can I safely use a fan splitter on the system fan header to run an external fan? I need to power a 120mm case fan to extract hot air from the cupboard.
Hey guys,

I know my questions have been asked many a times and I have read the past 30 pages, but it seems like everyone's requirements are slightly different so I thought I should spell out mine here and see what you guys think.

First questions is whether to get the Celeron version or the i3 one. I do not care about 4K or 3D, all I care about is good quality 1080p H.264 encodes. So on the face of it, the Celeron version should be good enough for me. But I'm reading these pages and it seems like Intel drivers still have many PQ issues, with blacks being too deep, etc so many people are resorting to software decoding which the i3 NUC can do but the Celeron one can't. I'm likely to run Openelec and I have Linux experience so I don't mind getting my hands dirty and tweaking settings and stuff, but at the end of the day I want a rock solid system that can output good quality 1080p streams from my NAS. Am I likely to get this with the Celeron NUC and OpenElec, or should I go for i3 and the ability to do software decoding?

Second question: Are 10-bit encoded stuff likely to become more popular outside of the anime community? I don't watch anime really so right now I don't need 10-bit decoding but I would like my HTPC to last me at least 3-4 years, so is it likely that in this timeframe, 10-bit encoded files will become popular in other fields as well?

What about H.265? Is it likely to become more popular in the next few years or is that only for 4K stuff?

Third question is for using mSATA SSD vs. USB flash drive for running OpenElec. Of course a proper SSD is faster, but running OE, am I likely to experience a noticeable speed difference between the two in everyday usage? If I load up XBMC with skins and plugins, will the USB stick become slow after a while? mSATA drives are unfortunately still too expensive and I'm trying to keep my budget low so I want to see if a proper SSD is really worth it or not.

Final question: I have a Rii Mini i8 which is a Bluetooth Keyboard+Mouse. Has anyone any experience with this keyboard and the NUC/OpenElec? IR remotes seem to be more popular on this forum so am I likely to have any issues with this Bluetooth one?

Thanks for your help and advice everyone.
No idea about the Intel graphics issues.

I watch anime all the time and I can always find "8-bit" versions of stuff. Sometimes it takes a little digging or waiting an extra day or two for new stuff, but it never fails to find at least one good "8-bit" version. I really doubt Hi10P will spread further, especially with H.265 being the next big thing.

H.265 has a few years before becoming mainstream, and even then you will still find H.264 versions of stuff.

USB drive will probably be fine. I've used HTPCs off of USB before, and didn't feel like it was an issue.

Slap a cheap USB bluetooth adapter in there and you should be all set. Lots of people here have used the Rii line, both the RF dongle and bluetooth kind. You won't even need any special drivers, since it shows up as a standard input device.
(2013-08-13, 03:39)aryonoco Wrote: Hey guys,

I know my questions have been asked many a times and I have read the past 30 pages, but it seems like everyone's requirements are slightly different so I thought I should spell out mine here and see what you guys think.

First questions is whether to get the Celeron version or the i3 one. I do not care about 4K or 3D, all I care about is good quality 1080p H.264 encodes. So on the face of it, the Celeron version should be good enough for me. But I'm reading these pages and it seems like Intel drivers still have many PQ issues, with blacks being too deep, etc so many people are resorting to software decoding which the i3 NUC can do but the Celeron one can't. I'm likely to run Openelec and I have Linux experience so I don't mind getting my hands dirty and tweaking settings and stuff, but at the end of the day I want a rock solid system that can output good quality 1080p streams from my NAS. Am I likely to get this with the Celeron NUC and OpenElec, or should I go for i3 and the ability to do software decoding?

Second question: Are 10-bit encoded stuff likely to become more popular outside of the anime community? I don't watch anime really so right now I don't need 10-bit decoding but I would like my HTPC to last me at least 3-4 years, so is it likely that in this timeframe, 10-bit encoded files will become popular in other fields as well?

What about H.265? Is it likely to become more popular in the next few years or is that only for 4K stuff?

Third question is for using mSATA SSD vs. USB flash drive for running OpenElec. Of course a proper SSD is faster, but running OE, am I likely to experience a noticeable speed difference between the two in everyday usage? If I load up XBMC with skins and plugins, will the USB stick become slow after a while? mSATA drives are unfortunately still too expensive and I'm trying to keep my budget low so I want to see if a proper SSD is really worth it or not.

Final question: I have a Rii Mini i8 which is a Bluetooth Keyboard+Mouse. Has anyone any experience with this keyboard and the NUC/OpenElec? IR remotes seem to be more popular on this forum so am I likely to have any issues with this Bluetooth one?

Thanks for your help and advice everyone.

Get the Celeron NUC. I don't have any issues with blacks.

Use a USB stick first and see what you think. If you get a v102 Celeron [if its v101 just go to intel to get it swapped] you'll get internal USB headers so you can hide the stick inside the NUC. I would of done this too but I wanted for sure the fastest way to load fanart/cover art etc. although I've read on here that USB3 sticks on usb2 ports are good.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-08-10, 10:47)jammyb Wrote: Lets see pics of closed case with your hole for simerec.

Here is pic with the case closed and hole drilled for Simerec

Sweet!

Get some lightdims to cover your hole!

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

I've been waiting to get the new Haswell i3 NUC, because I want to run Windows 7. But really, I just want to have a web browser available outside of XBMC, for streaming video websites. I was reading elsewhere that the Kylo Browser can be run in OpenELEC. This makes me wonder if I can "get away" with the less expensive Celeron-based NUC.

Does anyone who has a Celeron-based NUC with OpenELEC use the Kylo Browser? How is the Flash/Silverlight performance on streaming video websites (YouTube in 1080p, Netflix, Hulu, etc.)?

Thanks!
(2013-08-13, 20:17)jammyb Wrote: Sweet!

Thanks for the idea of lightdims, i place a order for that :-)
(2013-08-13, 20:36)Stridis Wrote:
(2013-08-13, 20:17)jammyb Wrote: Sweet!

Thanks for the idea of lightdims, i place a order for that :-)

Csnt take the credit bud. But I fitted them to mine. Looks sweet now!

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

• 87(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)24