• 119(current)
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
Maybe a factory reset will work for you?

My NUC workt out of the box whit openELEC
(2013-09-22, 14:34)Legion455 Wrote: I saw a "Wait on Lan" in OE settings,, ... and have that "on", but this makes no difference,... the wait is there "with" or without" a network..
I didn't see any other place to delay a boot up.

Did you sell your Nuc already?.

Yup. Gone.

Put a delay in of 20 seconds and see what happens.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

there's no place that I can see, to put a wait or delay of 20 secs ,...

Does anyone else see where this can be doneHuh

thanks
Legion
It's in oE settings in program add-ons under network at the bottom. Turn it on and set to 20. It's auto set at 5.

If it works at 20. Start winding it back till you hit the sweet spot.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-08-19, 16:12)aesalazar Wrote:
Quote:Tweaking the power on/off order may work, but only if you are also suspending the NUC. If you setup the NUC power on and power off commands in the harmony remote to be the S3 Sleep/Resume command (on windows this is possible, i assume also on openElec it must be). Then if you tweak the device order so that the NUC shuts down first and powers up last then in theory it goes to sleep when there is a full HDMI connection, and when it wakes up that full connection is again present, so it might help things. If you only change the order of the other devices but leave the NUC on the whole time, I dont think that would help as the NUC is still going to "see" things disapear and reappear. I guess it could be worth a go though, eg make sure TV is on first then receiver, so when the NUC reconnects to the AVR, the display is already connected to the AVR

Thats exactly what my setup does. The NUC goes into S3 (sleep) so it can be awaken via USB but the remote tells it do it it LAST. If the AVR or display is a little slower to boot, see if the remote has the option to program a delay before waking the NUC.

Quote:Shame there isnt a simple USB type add on for the NUC that would enable powering on and off!

There in lies the problem. The NUC does not support turning on from USB, only wake.

Another option to consider is program a remote button to fire a REBOOT command when you are powering things up. You can do it via either XBMC in its power settings or you can even program it with irexec from lirc - a bit more work but really handy when XBMC locks up or crashes as it is done by the OS. This way after your devices are turned on it does a warm boot which should resync the edid. If you are using WIndows then Eventghost should be able to handle it.

Like jammyb said, simerec is probably the most solid option - nothing like a true power "button" so to speak Smile

Ernie

OK I've had no joy with tweaking my power options to switch the NUC on so I think Simerec is the only option - is it just the PCS-1 version I need or am I better getting off getting the PCS2? Is there anywhere that ships this in the UK as I imagine delivery will take some time from the US?

I must admit reading the installation scares me somewhat as seems quits complex, would happily pay someone to do it for me!

On a separate note I have issues every time I try to boot my NUC after its been powered off (using openelec). I have 8 usb drives attached to the NUC via 2 DAS enclosures of 4 drives each, it tries to read/wake the drives each time it powers on which takes some time. I have the bios setup so it does not attempt to boot from USB and the only device that appears in the boot list is my sata

However it then always says unsuccessful boot attempt as if it is timing out whilst trying to read all the usb drives - any ideas? Once they have all been "woken up" it boots fine or if I just select boot from this device with the sata drive highlighted.
In regards to Simerec. I'd hold off buying one for a tiny bit longer. [something is coming that is awesome, all will be revealed in a couple weeks] it'll make simerec/NUC installation a lot easier than when I did it.

Secondly. Buy a USB hub. You're drawing all that equipment off the NUC ports and wondering why it's messing up.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Hi people,

I hope I am posting in the correct place. Here is my situation...

I am interested in purchasing an Intel NUC i3 (which I would then install 8 GB RAM and a 128 GB mSSD), with the main purpose of handling 1080i streaming from a slingbox. (I have the Slinfront plugin for XBMC)
I do have a slingbox, and I noticed that the quality and flow of the streaming is perfect on my work's computer but a bit choppy on my home computer (quality is great but you can definitely see that the flow of the image is not as natural as it should be). That's when I realized my home pc (i3 HD3000 graphics 4 GB RAM) was not up for the task.

So my main question is whether such machine would do the job. I'd be happy to hear other people's opinions and experiences.

Thanks in advance.
(2013-09-21, 13:29)Noexicaise Wrote: @calisto

Which Openelec version ?

From version 3.0 & now up to 3.2 & has worked on all of those builds.
(2013-09-23, 14:08)jammyb Wrote: In regards to Simerec. I'd hold off buying one for a tiny bit longer. [something is coming that is awesome, all will be revealed in a couple weeks] it'll make simerec/NUC installation a lot easier than when I did it.

Secondly. Buy a USB hub. You're drawing all that equipment off the NUC ports and wondering why it's messing up.

Sounds intriguing, will hold fire and wait to see what is forthcoming! Will there be an announcement/mention on this thread?

I already have a USB hub I can use so will try that thanks - hopefully it will still remember which drive is which if I attach them to the hub.
It should do. The simerec part will be on here don't worry. You won't miss it.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-09-22, 17:24)jammyb Wrote: It's in oE settings in program add-ons under network at the bottom. Turn it on and set to 20. It's auto set at 5.
If it works at 20. Start winding it back till you hit the sweet spot.

I found the BUG!!!!! I decided to do a fresh install of everything,.. from openelec 3.2 onward,... and then check for the boot up delays after each step, of adding movies, TV, Music, Add-Ons and scripts.

I "installed from Zip" the Aeon-Nox-Extras-Downloader, ... then I installed "Metadata Actors" (Filmography/Bio/photos/etc) and as soon as I installed this Program Add-on ... I got the delays! (and I didn't even run the metadata program either, installed only) ... 90 sec waits on the main menu.... so I immediately uninstalled the MetaData Actors,... and bingo,... everything was back to normal!!!

Now I'll go over to the thread on this add-on and see if something can be done.

Legion
Well done bud. Proper satisfying when you find the problem!

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Not sure if this was covered here, but, 2gb of ram should be enough to run XBMC correctly? Is the NUC happy with only 1 dimm? Or should I get 2 1gb sticks?
2GB is enough to run linux (incl openelec) plus XBMC. Hell I have machines with 512MB. Most pundits seem to say 4G should be used for windows. Windows also requires a MUCH bigger hard drive.

I don't know if 2x1GB or 1x2GB is preferable, but if you have 2 slots 1x2GB allows you to add another 2GB stick later.

And one things for sure, RAM is usually cheapest when you buy the computer, 2 years down the track the RAM you need for something you bought today will be in short supply and possibly cost a bomb. So the cheapest way to future proof the machine is buy 4G now, as memory requirements never go down as software is developed to add new featues...

But for linux and XBMC right now, 2G is sufficient.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
for anyone having lan issues, switching the hdmi cable to the other port helped
  • 119(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)24