questions from new user, contributor wannabe
I have been collecting/managing video for some 15 years using homebrew, tivo, hacked tivo, homebrew, mythtv, hacked mythtv software almost entirely on Linux and thought I would give xbmc a try. With some finagling I have managed to import the majority of my library (some 25TB), but of course there are some things I would like to change Smile.
Although they are sort of new feature requests, I'm posting them here because I will (try) to implement them and I would like some guidance/discussion about the implementation. I have spent some time (a few dozen hours) reading the forums and seen many new feature requests along these lines, but no real "direction". Any hints to look at would be appreciated

first, I have some 3000 DVDs stored as <movie>/DVD/VIDEO_TS, <movie>/extras/VIDEO_TS and for TV Shows I have

<tv show>
DVDs
Season <n>
DVD<n>
Season <n>
<n><episode name>.trk<nn> (relative symbolic link to appropriate DVD where nn is the title num for the episode)

A little strange, but it gives me the ability to play individual episodes (even from Nautilus) and still gives me access to the DVD extras.
I have of course a large number of ripped/compressed files as well.

I have hacked the internal player to recognize the .trk<nn> stuff and by adding a movie.nfo pointing to the correct TVDB/IMDB page I don't get hundreds of "movies" for the "extras" DVDS and pretty much get all my movies recognized.

So much for background, some questions

1) is there a particular reason that nfo files are placed in the VIDEO_TS directory instead of as a peer to the enclosing directory (as they would be if it were an iso file)?. Would there be an objection to an option to select/change the behaviour?

2) what are the current views on implementing hierarchy in the library? It has been stated that sets will be only one level and I would like several (with different attributes).
I would like to organize a DVD as I have or as a set of ripped files (including extras, specials ...) and in Library view play it or display its contents (like a set currently does), roughly equivalent to a DVD one might purchase.
I would like to group a bunch of DVDs/movies that are the same - b/w, colourized, special edition, directors cut, HD... into one group that like a set appears once in the library, but unlike a set only shows up once in a search.
I would like a box set, that may include several movies and extras spread along several DVDs again much like one might purchase
maybe some more

3) what are the current views on implementing hierarchy in the view of the library?
e.g. top10 list of top10 actors, movies, comedies, episodes ... (note: this could be a list of special video nodes)
It would be nice to have arbitrary lists items, where items include arbitrary lists. One might (certainly for complicated ones) need a tool to create the view (could be shared like themes) - need the same idea or music, but that's a whole other topic. with thousands of movies/tv episodes to watch, the name of the game id figuring out what to watch. Slightly far-fetched, but the top list could be mood - adventurous - favour movies you've never seen or haven't seen in a long time, sleepy - don't watch MI-5(Spooks), want to wake up - watch MI-5, woman:housecoatConfusedocks:tub of ice cream- favourite romantic comedies Smile

4) why is there a demarcation between tv shows and movies? I know there is, seen a number of posts suggesting there shouldn't be, certainly if I do a search on actors I would like to see both the movies and tv show that I have.

I know I have to investigate the skin interface to understand 2), 3) and 4) - I am getting there!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
questions from new user, contributor wannabe0