XBMC uses 30% of my memory
(2012-09-25, 19:28)Martijn Wrote: Fix the 45% first when not running xbmc!

+1

Have you not heard this echoed time and time again (i think in multiple threads too)?

Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
I can live with the 45% without XBMC.

I have sickbeard CP sabnzbd and other process auto start.

I want to deal with XBMC - disable all add-ons did not work,

Should I save the userdata folder for all of my settings and add-ons?
(2012-09-25, 19:43)thrak76 Wrote:
(2012-09-25, 19:28)Martijn Wrote: Fix the 45% first when not running xbmc!

+1

Have you not heard this echoed time and time again (i think in multiple threads too)?

You should take into consideration that 512MB are dedicated to the GPU so the actual memory usage is ~38% which seems fine.

I have some processes running at start up.
If you think 45% is fine then live with the 70% when xbmc is running!
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Win7 puts frequently used things into unused memory for faster launching of programs, faster access to data, etc. If this utilized memory is needed the cached stuff gets dropped (freed up) for use by the current application. This may or may not be what you are seeing but it really does not matter.

What matters is how is your HTPC performing during video playback? Are you able to navigate menu's smoothly? Does your computer perform well or sluggishly?

If you are not happy with your performance then you will want to track this stuff down.
You are running SB etc so this is NOT a dedicated HTPC. You likely have your videos stored on this machine... Probably running anti-virus software which is a likely culprit as this is scanning things you are downloading and scanns xbmc activity, scans the movies you play.... This is a situation a dedicated HTPC doesn't have.
Did you build this pc yourself and do a clean instal of Win7 or did you buy it from a store with a bunch of bloatware installed?

But, like I said, if your computer is built with the specs to handle this much multi-tasking then its no problem at all.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
Plz make sure you are not including cached memory in this equation.
http://www.osnews.com/story/21471/SuperF...orks_Myths

Xbmc uses 7% of my 2Gb ram or 82.000K. And fluctuates between 0 and 25% CPU (depending on idle/ scanning / playing) on a 2 core 2.5Ghz.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Dude... fix the 45 %
It´s way too high for idle
I re-installed XBMC and installed Aeon MQ4 skin.
The memory usage was 50% with XBMC running,

The second I added Movies and TV series the memory usage jumps to 75%.

The OS and XBMC located on SSD drive.
superfetch is disabled.

Is it possible that XBMC saves all fanart in the memory for faster lookups?

(2012-09-26, 09:58)h8redv2 Wrote: Dude... fix the 45 %
It´s way too high for idle

Tell me what do fix?
Did you disable default windows services?

After investigating what is taking 30% of my ram I can say that adding a movie source and using theMovieDB for fanart
my memory usage jumps by 30%.

Does XBMC store its fanart data in memory?
Is it possible to move it to disk? I have SSD for it.

Please help me out currently I have no source in the movie/TV series categories.

10x
Hi
prob cant help much with the fanart bit but i would sugest installing a ram saver prog that should free memory when its not in use if you get my drift i would consider adding more memory anyway, unless your at full capacity faster memory might help ,as to weather fanart is kept in memory i dontknow but i doubt it,im only a newbie to the forum and xbmc but hope this helps some.

kind regards

Apollo
You're not making it clear what memory you're referencing, if XBMC is launched out of your SSD then your userdata folder will be in that drive. It is possible to move the thumbnail folder elsewhere http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Path_substitution but generally the Userdata folder is under 10 gigs and would get a nice speed boost being in the SSD.

Storage of the art work is in your userdata thumbnail folder, depending on your hardware set-up, images can be cached on the fly as you go for what the system needs but this is usually in gfx card memory. When you say 30%, is that 30% of 256 Megs or 30% of 16 gigs? Check out the requirement for running XBMC in the wiki's. You may use up an extra 30% but what else are you doing with the remaining ram? Need more details, like a standard debug log posted and linked back to this thread.

Might have a look at this thread. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141269
Sorry here are the missing details:

SPEC:
==========
AMD A6 with dedicated AGU (ATI Radeon 6530 hd)
4 GB memory
Crucial 64 GB SSD
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

userdata is being stored on the storage disk - not SSD.

when I say 30% I mean that task manager shows that 45% is in used when XBMC launches it shows 75%.
This is 75% of 3.5GB (since 512 MB dedicated to GPU)

I really don't know why adding movies increases my memory usage.

I have 2 disk so I add 2 sources - one from each disk.

Hope this clarify things up a bit....
I enabled debugging mode just before adding new source under TV Series.
I was watching as memory drops from 1.6GB free to 800MB free.

Maybe someone could help me out using this attached debug file.

10x

Log file
(2012-09-26, 11:08)embedded Wrote: Tell me what do fix?
Did you disable default windows services?

This is not a forum for Windows support, but rather, XBMC for Windows support. To learn how to reduce RAM utilization, you're going to need to look elsewhere.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
As others have mentioned in your other thread, maybe Windows is caching some of these files in RAM for the sake of efficiency in retrieval. And if the RAM is needed for other, more critical, purposes, these cached files would get dumped. Does it really matter how much RAM is being utilized at a given point in time if there is no negative impact (and possibly some positive impact) on system performance? Would it be better to have RAM sitting around doing nothing just for the sake of seeing a lower utilization number?
(2012-09-26, 20:31)artrafael Wrote: As others have mentioned in your other thread, maybe Windows is caching some of these files in RAM for the sake of efficiency in retrieval. And if the RAM is needed for other, more critical, purposes, these cached files would get dumped. Does it really matter how much RAM is being utilized at a given point in time if there is no negative impact (and possibly some positive impact) on system performance? Would it be better to have RAM sitting around doing nothing just for the sake of seeing a lower utilization number?

This is used memory not cached.
I disabled prefetch and superprefetch.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC uses 30% of my memory0