• 33(current)
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
will you update your ppa with beta1?
In short:

- Mainline with AMD cards just sucks, because of:
- There is no deinterlacing with VAAPI on amd cards.
- VC1 with high quality does not play well, constant drops
- Decoder freaks out, when you play Level51 or higher files
- Big artefacts with e.g. the killa sample
- The Gui gets garbled, as textures are not freed properly
- Random freezes while scrolling the menu after you watched a movie - cause of the GL stuff in xvba-va-driver
- and a lot more sadly :-(

If you have ION-2 or ION chipsets you get a huge improvement as well cause of the Architecture changes and player buffering.

If you want to compare performance, you can also try the recent openelec development builds easily on a USB stick.

@illiac4:
Yes the wsnipex ppa already has beta1 packages.

First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2012-11-18, 15:54)wsnipex Wrote:
(2012-11-17, 06:47)illiac4 Wrote: Is the build from wsnipex/xbmc-xvba different from team-xbmc if we heave ATI cards. Will we loose something depending on ATI acceleration or. are the xvba drivers merged?

it is different:
- Mainline does not have Xvba
- Mainline does not have improved vdpau
- Mainline still uses SDL for windowing
overall: some 10k lines of code

I'm building my new HTPC tomorrow hopefully. Plan on using the bare ubuntu install + blu-ray + emulators.

This guide will probably be my starting point. But, I am using trinity (AMD FM2). So what should I do? I take it it wont have AMD xvba? Still a bit of a noob

Does XBMC use a window manager? Will it be OK with emulators, or does advanced launcher launch a window manager first, then the emu?
I highly suggest you using the wsnipex ppa. Best is you start with a quantal (64 bit) mini.iso - a (non automated) guide on how it works for sure is here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
So the script should select wsnipex ppa if the ati card is detected and if nvidia the official one?
No. it only uses wsnipex ppa

uNi
I know that Smile It was just a suggestion how could be done in the future.
Not really great idea, imo in a distant future, maybe.

uNi
Ok I went back to the old motherboard seems to work better

I got the script to install and complete works sweet

Then I edited the xorg file and added limited range and custom edid for booting headless

Install samba , sabnzbd, sick beard,couch potato and transmission

Edited fstab to add trim support for
My ssd

Everything is working nicely thank guys

The script did not ask me regarding the updating every 4 hours

Can I add that manually if so how

Denis
Hello ! this is my first post on forum but I am not a new here Smile
Thank you for a fantastic work with the script and whole xbmc stuff
My situation is not so simple, I have dedicated computer (i5 2500, 560ti, 16Gb) running fresh ubuntu minimal 12.10 x64
with xbmc installed by your script, everything working amazingly good but need to go more forward and:
I have to install x11vnc server and second vnc server like vnc4server and both need to be started automatically on boot
as there is no lightdm installed I have no idea how to make those two servers run on boot
first will be connected to main xbmc (music control, playlist, checking etc)
second for some x session like lxdm or something similar for managing files, converting, managing a virtual machine etc
there is no monitor with this setup just projector jvc dila hd1 and amplifier yamaha rx v3900 so I prefere not to run a whole setup to change a simple things like a name of files or something (I know there is few remote controllers apps but I wish to have full vnc) I had it before with full ubuntu desktop and lightdm and it works!
so get back to simple:
I would like to make x11vnc and vnc4server with lxdm run at boot
I have installed xbmc using your script with a upstart option as startup
"I have Nvidia 560Ti and have to make xorg.conf manually (sudo nvidia-xconfig) as there is no xorg.conf in x11 after installation is this normal ?"
thank you
@Obecny Welcome Smile

Is this script related?

If not your offtopic. The script doesn't handle any of that and this isn't the topic to ask for unrelated setup's. Start your own discussion if its not related to script please.

uNi
(2012-11-19, 17:59)uNiversal Wrote: @Obecny Welcome Smile

Is this script related?

If not your offtopic. The script doesn't handle any of that and this isn't the topic to ask for unrelated setup's. Start your own discussion if its not related to script please.

uNi

Ok to make it script related - is there option to add lightdm installation to the script ?
or if I install a lightdm separately how to keep xbmc to run at startup with my other things ?
thanks
(if you still thinking it is not script related please move it or bin it, thanks)

Im not the author of script but its a minimal install script, what is absolutely necessary is installed and configured.

To make this simple for you, I dont think lightdm will break xbmc autostart since its being started directly by xinit, never used window managers so I wouldn't know anymore or how to configure it along with whatever you want. sorry.

the offtopic bit pours down to this.

Imagine this script was buried in the how to install video drivers (and you dont use those video drivers) thread with 300 replies, do you think you would have found it? Or even better would you read all 300 posts on a topic that you have no interest to see whats been asked and if any solutions been posted for that? I wouldn't. hehe

similarly I think your question has some merit (meaning other probably want to do similar things) and you should make your own thread to ask about these, so evryone taht want to do same can read, comment, help and find solutions and its obviously indexed by search engines.

uNi.
EDIT: this is looking like an intermittent hardware issue - doesn't appear to be related to shutdown method used in the script. Lovely.

Nothing to see here. Next post.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
@uNiversal: Thanks for the tip via PM! I'll add itr to the next version. I can't PM you back because you have receiving PM's disabled.

Sorry for the lack of updates recently. I'm working my ass of at the moment. All I do is work and sleep. I own a software development company and I have loads of work at the moment. That's a good thing, but unfortunately I have had no time to work on the script because of it. I'll probably have more time in december. It's great to see everybody is helping eachother out. I'll incorporate whatever I can learn form this topic asap.

I'm thinking about moving from bash to Python because the script is becoming quite big. Using Python would make it a lot easier to organise all the different responsebilities of the script. I'll have to investigate a little deeper to see if the advantages outweigh the disatvantages though.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
  • 33(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based11