• 7(current)
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
Currently testing your 2.2 script.

2.1 didn't work for me on my c2q. went with the prepare_install.sh instead and worked. Although it took like 4 seconds to load xbmc after the login popped up.
@Bram77
2.2 is hanging at lirc install. Been 15mins again.
I think I accidentally reintroduced a bug I've fixed before, sorry and thanks for letting know. I'll fix it tomorrow. Please run it again without selecting lirc during installation and install it afterwards with..

Code:
sudo apt-get install lirc && sudo reboot now

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
is there an easy way to remove all of the previous xbmc install so i don't have to re install minimal again?

never mind found the post you put up.. Thanks.
actually

cd ~/ && rm ./prepare_install*

didn't work. don't think it was what i was thinking it was.
If the script has run until the end it will have deleted itself. So you won't need to delete it then. No need to install ubuntu again. Just download and run the script again Smile

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
doesn't make sense. on my htpc with intel core2quad with onboard nvidia graphics after initial xbmc install, it always reboots to xbmc login. never to xbmc. This is with your test 2.2. was doing the same on 2.1 also.
What is xbmc login? So 2.2 isn't working either. That's a shame. I'll do a complete fresh install myself this weekend. Thanks so much for helping out!

What I'm refering to basically is the login for the command prompt.

Thanks for your time in building this. Whatever you put out I'll test it.
Thanks man Smile. I've uploaded version 2.3 yesterday (start post updated). But I haven't had the time to figure out why you are not booting into XBMC with version 2.2. So that problem will most likely still be present. I'd hold off on testing for a moment until I've done a clean installation myself tomorrow.

Version 2.3 has some improvements that are worth mentioning:

- Pulse is no longer installed. Wsnipx pointed out that it's not required and might cause problems (I though it was)
- Installing with username 'xbmc' is no longer required
- The videocard manufacturer parameter isn't needed anymore. You'l be presented with the video driver selection during the installation.
- For most packages the script now checks if it's already installed before trying to install. This makes reruns of the script go a bit faster.
- Some more overall improvements in the code

(2012-10-05, 09:37)Bram77 Wrote: Thanks man Smile. I've uploaded version 2.3 yesterday (start post updated). But I haven't had the time to figure out why you are not booting into XBMC with version 2.2. So that problem will most likely still be present. I'd hold off on testing for a moment until I've done a clean installation myself tomorrow.

Version 2.3 has some improvements that are worth mentioning:

- Pulse is no longer installed. Wsnipx pointed out that it's not required and might cause problems (I though it was)
- Installing with username 'xbmc' is no longer required
- The videocard manufacturer parameter isn't needed anymore. You'l be presented with the video driver selection during the installation.
- For most packages the script now checks if it's already installed before trying to install. This makes reruns of the script go a bit faster.
- Some more overall improvements in the code

OK great I'll give it go later tonight.

With your improvements in 2.3.

I've had acouple runs of your script were durring some packages installs it would give an error but still post that the package was successfully installed. Does this check if a full clean install of the package is install or that it is present?

Thanks.
I can't check if a package has been installed successfully. Only if it has been installed. Also... the success message is kind of useless since I can't reliably test if the installation was successful (as far as I know). For this reason the success messages are only clearly showing in the log now. Sometimes they are useful while testing, so I haven removed them completely. Bash scripting is pretty powerful, but at the same time fairly limited in options.

well, you can always check the apt-get return code.

quote from the manpage:
apt-get returns zero on normal operation, decimal 100 on error.
I've used that for other stuff. When a program is already installed it returns 100 too. So that makes it hard to determine what the error is. I can bypass that by first running 'sudo dpkg-query -l package-name' to determine if the package is installed. But it would require a lot more code. So I'll hold off on that for now and implement it later on.

hi when using the init.d xbmc script the first time the pc boots up theres no audio (the card isnt detected in xbmc) i have to restart xbmc for it to work. i tryed adding a sleep 5 command to the init script but nothing. anyone have any ideas?
also i was using lightdm before his (i had lightdm and lightdm-gtk-greeter installed. now running apt-get purge lightdm and apt-get autoremove returns my system to as if it never even had lightdm installed correct? i want the complete minimal apparach thats why i switched to the init.d script. just wanna make sure it wasnt too late. like there would be absolutly no difference between this current install then if i formatted reinstalled and did all steps besides lnstalling lightdm and used the init script instead correct? lightdm is a "window manager" correct?
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based11