• 11(current)
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
Sounds like a plan! @Bramm I found another post regarding the remote it looks simple enough perhaps on your testing and playing you can disseminate a better way to make it work. Find that topic here

It looks like a very few hoops, I just hope it works with 12.04. Or 12.10.

Bram77 Have you ever wondered about compiling a specific kernel version tailored to the Asrock ION 33 HT? I would have to study the config file Then We can make a machine specific tailored for the needs. Just a wild idea..
Tongue 
This works! Big Grin

Upstart job & autorestart of XBMC without an X display manager.

From alanwww1's guide + some of Bram77's info as well.

Code:
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=z2Ya7sAh -O /etc/init/xbmc.conf
sudo ln -s /lib/init/upstart-job /etc/init.d/xbmc
sudo wget http://paste.kde.org/7022/raw/ -O /usr/bin/runXBMC
sudo chmod a+x /usr/bin/runXBMC

sudo sh -c 'echo "allowed_users=anybody" >> /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config'

XBMC loads on startup
+ I also ssh'd in and manually killed the main XBMC PID...it then restarted / respawned XBMC.

NOTE: I had NOT applied any of the previous xinit scripting - I am doing all this manually with Bram77's script as a guide. To remove the previous SysV startup and test manually you'll likely need to run the following BEFORE trying new approach.
Code:
sudo update-rc.d xbmc remove
sudo rm /etc/init.d/xbmc

You won't need to append to '/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config' twice if done this already ... just cat it first to see if in there already. Also, if not comfortable undoing a working system setup by the script I don't suggest this.

Otherwise, lemme know if works for you folks as well.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
how does this work there is no exec /usr/bin/runXBMC

oops didnt keep reading....mpve along nothing to see here Smile
wow i dont understand the runXBMC file at all anyone else?
the init.d script seems so much simpler you would think you can just add a if killed restart command do that but i'm down for this once someone explains to me what exactly runxbmc is doing i dont like installing stuff without knowing how it works
Tongue 
AFAIK it's basically just a way to customize per user how any X-related settings are configured before the chosen desktop; or application in this case; is loaded.

Remember that we aren't using a display manager so these types of things need to be specified.

Did it work for you?

On a completely unrelated note: as soon as I installed the new xsession method I got an email from a Prince in Nigeria informing me that I'm about to receive a huge inheritance! Sweet. Rofl

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
what? and yes it worked for me. when i say what i'm talking about the prince in nijira thing
the above script does add a good 10 sec to startup time though.
is this really nessasary?

post-start script
# here we enable the usb and cir ports to wakeup the machine
for device in `cat /proc/acpi/wakeup | grep "^[C,U,E][U,H,I,S][R,S,B,C,0-9]" | grep "*disabled" | cut -f1 -d " "`; do
echo -n $device > /proc/acpi/wakeup
done
end script
Upstart is naf (evil) imo, As for that post-start script, is doing what it says which is
post-start script Wrote:# here we enable the usb and cir ports to wakeup the machine
if you didn't have any issues with this part you can (i suppose) leave it out.
(2012-10-11, 02:54)thethirdnut Wrote: This works! Big Grin

Upstart job & autorestart of XBMC without an X display manager.

From alanwww1's guide + some of Bram77's info as well.

Code:
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=z2Ya7sAh -O /etc/init/xbmc.conf
sudo ln -s /lib/init/upstart-job /etc/init.d/xbmc
sudo wget http://paste.kde.org/7022/raw/ -O /usr/bin/runXBMC
sudo chmod a+x /usr/bin/runXBMC

sudo sh -c 'echo "allowed_users=anybody" >> /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config'

XBMC loads on startup
+ I also ssh'd in and manually killed the main XBMC PID...it then restarted / respawned XBMC.

NOTE: I had NOT applied any of the previous xinit scripting - I am doing all this manually with Bram77's script as a guide. To remove the previous SysV startup and test manually you'll likely need to run the following BEFORE trying new approach.
Code:
sudo update-rc.d xbmc remove
sudo rm /etc/init.d/xbmc

You won't need to append to '/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config' twice if done this already ... just cat it first to see if in there already. Also, if not comfortable undoing a working system setup by the script I don't suggest this.

Otherwise, lemme know if works for you folks as well.

Excellent! I will test this and if all is well I'll replace the init.d method with this one (or allow to choose between the two options). Thanks!

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
If this part can be yanked - please let me know...

Code:
post-start script
# here we enable the usb and cir ports to wakeup the machine
  for device in `cat /proc/acpi/wakeup | grep "^[C,U,E][U,H,I,S][R,S,B,C,0-9]" | grep "*disabled" | cut -f1 -d " "`; do
    echo -n $device > /proc/acpi/wakeup
  done
end script

EDIT: Actually, if there is a slight delay added via this method I can't see the above being the cause of it. Perhaps the execution order of the Upstart job needs to be tweaked?

@thethirdnut

That part is specifically to add remote controller/CIR/USB to wakeup your system, if your remote and receiver whatever can sleep/power up/power down your system from the modes you use, then you have no need to use this part. Usually S1 to S5.
@uNiversal - thanks. Have you noticed any additional boot-delay with this method?

I am not using it atm, or should I say just yet, I doubt this (the pro/wakeup script) adds 10 seconds delay or anything noticeable., like you said upstart may need optimizing (It may be the way the init is done that causes delay). That however is no easy/simple task, surely way above my grade. readme upstart cookbook
Hello,

I came across this thread today and looked very interesting. I like the idea of a minimal xbmc install with only the necessities. I currently have a dedicated HTPC running xbmc 10.1 (w/ Ubuntu 10.04 AMD64 mini) using this guide:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...u/HOW-TO_3

I'm trying to get to a more updated version of both Ubuntu and xbmc. I did a base 12.10 minimal install and have tried the 2.4.1 version of the script but looks like it did not complete all the way and there were a bunch of "command not found" errors. I've since have gone back and run v1, v2.1 and v2.3 over the top of my previous installs, but so far it just comes back to ubuntu login prompt at startup (xbmc does not start). Does anyone know what version of the script I should try based on my setup?

Thanks in advance

System Setup:
MB: Asus A8N-VM CSM
CPU: AMD64 3200
2GB RAM
Video: nVidia GT240 PCI-E 512MB
TV: Sony 55" Bravia via HDMI
Audio out via SPDIF (coax) to Rec.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based11