ReplayGain + FLAC not working correctly
Anyone else having issues with ReplayGain in Album level mode and Flac files? I am using yesterday's nightly(windows) and I have noticed that ReplayGain just doesn't seem to be working at all with Flac files when set to Album level mode. There is a significant difference in volume between my MP3 and FLAC files. I have also tried converting a FLAC file to MP3 and again there is a significant difference between the two.

Edit: Just did another test .. If I play the FLAC and MP3 files I converted in Foobar2000, they sound identical. It really seems like something is broken in XBMC.
Are you using a stable build of XBMC or a nightly? There were some ReplayGain fixes a few days ago in the nightly builds, so it's possible those fixes adressed your problem.
(2012-09-28, 03:51)sialivi Wrote: Are you using a stable build of XBMC or a nightly? There were some ReplayGain fixes a few days ago in the nightly builds, so it's possible those fixes adressed your problem.

As stated I am using yesterday's nightly. I'll try updating to today's build and see what happens.
(2012-09-28, 03:51)sialivi Wrote: Are you using a stable build of XBMC or a nightly? There were some ReplayGain fixes a few days ago in the nightly builds, so it's possible those fixes adressed your problem.

Did I miss some changes to the RG code? Looks the same as before and stepping through it here it works as it should. Tested on FLAC tracing thru code and it's definitely being applied.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Just started from a fresh install with the latest nightly build and it makes no difference. The song I am testing with right now has nearly -10db of album gain and using an SPL meter, I can clearly see that there is no volume difference when I play the song with RG turned off and RG in Album level mode. And yes, I do stop and restart the song when I change the RG setting. When I do the same test in Foobar with the same song, the volume difference between the two is very obvious.

Edit: Just tested in XBMC with RG in Track Levels mode and there is a significant decrease in volume as there should be. So it looks like Track Levels works just fine, but Album Levels is the same as Off on my end.
Ok so I think I figured it out. The issue isn't that the gain isn't being applied with Album Level selected, the issue is that there is too much gain being applied with the default 89db preamp level. It feels like RG is not working because too much gain is being applied so the "bug" ends up cancelling out the effect of RG. If I set the preamp level to 79db, I then get the expected result and the playback volume falls right in line with Foobar when playing the same song. The track level mode does not have this issue.
That's much more specific - thx. Will check it out. RG should default to 89db and it does sound like a bug.

Care to do a Trac ticket?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Done. Ticket #13368.

Thanks!
np - will try remember to post here when it's fixed, but you'll receive an email from Trac as well Smile
(2012-09-28, 05:10)DDDamian Wrote: Did I miss some changes to the RG code? Looks the same as before and stepping through it here it works as it should. Tested on FLAC tracing thru code and it's definitely being applied.

The bug I was refering to is this one -> https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/a61c...4aa1890b85

It's not an AE problem, but the ReplayGain values wasn't stored in the right variables.

@RicHSAD,
Did you try re-scraping the music files in question? Because the bug I was refering to happens during scraping from what I can tell and wouldn't be fixed in the nightlies unless you re-scrape.
(2012-09-28, 17:41)sialivi Wrote: @RicHSAD,
Did you try re-scraping the music files in question? Because the bug I was refering to happens during scraping from what I can tell and wouldn't be fixed in the nightlies unless you re-scrape.

I don't even use the library for my music. I did try scrapping everything, but it makes no difference.

@sialivi - ah yes the new taglib code was merged recently - you are correct in that it's more of a tag thing than the audio end...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ReplayGain + FLAC not working correctly0