HDMI Audio and Dolby Digital
(2014-01-20, 06:59)ss4johnny Wrote: My settings are looking like that (except the Play GUI sounds and it set to 5.1 instead of 3.1). My issue isn't that the audio isn't working, it's that the sound+video aren't being processed when they should (and are on other machines).
I'm not sure why. Have you try un-tick the AC3 capable receiver option?
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-01-20, 01:58)ss4johnny Wrote: I'm running 64bit Windows 8.1 with the latest Intel HD 4400 graphics drivers and an Onkyo SR-705 and having the same issue (the intel drivers have been kind of a nightmare with the latest version of Windows). I don't see a Fix PCM option on the receiver. The only thing I could find was something about listening mode presents. There was also something in the advanced settings that says it could change a setting to DTS from PCM, but it didn't seem to work for me. These files play fine when played on a separate Windows 7 computer with computer speakers. Any ideas?

It would help if you described exactly what your problem is.

Are you not getting any sound at all? only getting sound sometimes? not getting 5.1? or not getting formats such as Dolby Digital?

The most likely configuration to give sound is the following:

Audio output: Analog
Speaker configuration: 2.0
Audio output device: WASAPI - HDMI

If working with that then you can start looking at enabling more advanced options depending on what your equipment supports.
(2014-01-20, 12:19)jjd-uk Wrote: It would help if you described exactly what your problem is.

Are you not getting any sound at all? only getting sound sometimes? not getting 5.1? or not getting formats such as Dolby Digital?
As he stated, he is having the same issue as OP which mean that he is not getting Dolby 5.1 sound when he selected Dolby (AC3) capable receiver option.

(2014-01-20, 12:19)jjd-uk Wrote: The most likely configuration to give sound is the following:

Audio output: Analog
Speaker configuration: 2.0
Audio output device: WASAPI - HDMI

If working with that then you can start looking at enabling more advanced options depending on what your equipment supports.
If he do this, he will not be able to bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD to his capable receiver. The best thing for him is to un-tick (AC3) capable receiver option, and he still can enjoy bitstreaming HD audio...
Yes I know that won't give passthrough, that's the whole point of trying those settings in order to prove whether audio is ok with XBMC not operating in passthrough mode, this is the 1st test anyone with audio problems should do.
(2014-01-20, 18:36)jjd-uk Wrote: Yes I know that won't give passthrough, that's the whole point of trying those settings in order to prove whether audio is ok with XBMC not operating in passthrough mode, this is the 1st test anyone with audio problems should do.
If he is having the same problem as OP (as he stated), the other audio should be okay but he just cannot get AC3 dolby 5.1 sound. His problem might be lying on AVR side, which is the same issue as what OP had with his AVR......
A debug log would of course show exactly what the equipment thinks it can support.

ss4johnny, use these instructions log_file (wiki) to post the debug log please.
The problem seems that for some types of files (I noticed the issue for Dolby Digital files, but I haven't noticed other files having the issue) there is no sound and the video doesn't seem to be playing properly (it's going but very slowly). This is only on my HTPC connected to a receiver. They play fine on my main computer connected to normal speakers.

Unchecking the Dolby AC3 does make these files play, but it seems like its only coming through the center speaker when I do that.

That's the log anyway:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=113566

It was the Smallville.S06E01.Zod.avi file that I tried to play.
(2014-01-21, 02:46)ss4johnny Wrote: Unchecking the Dolby AC3 does make these files play, but it seems like its only coming through the center speaker when I do that.
Does it show up as Dolby Digital 5.1 when you playback movie? If it does, Audio Settings should show up similar to my screen shot below. If everything looks very similar to my screen shots, you might want to verify Listening Mode Preset in your AVR settings to make sure that listening mode is selected properly for bitstreaming. In my AVR, I selected Straight Decode for Dolby Digital.....

What you have looks similar. For the files I'm having an issue with, I see the Dolby Digital. The Audio stream is AC3 5.1 and the audio output is HDMI.

On the receiver settings, there's an option for Dolby Digital in the Listening Mode Presets. You can set it to a bunch of different things (the default is something like Last Valid for all of them). I tried setting it to Dolby Digital, but that didn't resolve the issue. I tried some other listening mode options without much luck.
(2014-01-21, 02:46)ss4johnny Wrote: The problem seems that for some types of files (I noticed the issue for Dolby Digital files, but I haven't noticed other files having the issue) there is no sound and the video doesn't seem to be playing properly (it's going but very slowly). This is only on my HTPC connected to a receiver. They play fine on my main computer connected to normal speakers.

Unchecking the Dolby AC3 does make these files play, but it seems like its only coming through the center speaker when I do that.

That's the log anyway:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=113566

It was the Smallville.S06E01.Zod.avi file that I tried to play.

That wasn't a debug log but as it happens there's enough there for me to know the problem.

As I thought your HDMI connection does not think it can support any passthrough format.

Try the Analog settings I suggested previously and video & audio should work.

As for why no passthrough, where did you get the drivers? were they downloaded from Intel? if not the drivers you need are at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchR...amilyId=39

Check also the AVR HDMI settings and make sure:

HDMI Audio is Off
Control: Disabled
(2014-01-21, 05:16)ss4johnny Wrote: What you have looks similar. For the files I'm having an issue with, I see the Dolby Digital. The Audio stream is AC3 5.1 and the audio output is HDMI.

On the receiver settings, there's an option for Dolby Digital in the Listening Mode Presets. You can set it to a bunch of different things (the default is something like Last Valid for all of them). I tried setting it to Dolby Digital, but that didn't resolve the issue. I tried some other listening mode options without much luck.
Have you playback the same movie using another media players (Windows, MPC-HC, Arcsoft, etc) on the same HTPC and AVR? If it playback okay, then Windows and hardware side of thing should be okay.....

If it is not okay, you might want to verify audio configuration in control panel carefully. You might want to update the latest Intel driver from here "Automatically identify and find drivers". You might want to try another HDMI cable and another HDMI port on the back of the AVR too....
@jjd-uk
Changing it to analog seems to fix the video issues for these types of files (sounds better than unchecking AC3, I think). When I first made the change I disabled the HDMI audio on the receiver as you suggested, but that meant the WASAPI HDMI disappeared so I couldn't select that. But yes, analog with WASAPI HDMI works. I had to set the speaker set up to 2.0, as the others didn't work.

That being said, while this gets the videos to play (with audio!), it's not as good as it should be (not 5.1). I think I'm gonna set up a separate profile with these settings changed already to facilitate switching back and forth when I have to. Not really an ideal situation, but it's probably the best I can do for now. It would be nice if there were some kind of more permanent solution, such as fixing something within the receiver. It is a fairly popular receiver, but I got it like five years old. Maybe get a new one in a couple of months.

@bluray
The videos play fine on VLC regardless of the system. It's only behind the AVR on the Windows 8.1 HTPC using XBMC that I'm having an issue.
Trust me when I tell you that I have had the latest Intel drivers. I have had all kinds of problems with them and Windows 8.1 (you can check the intel support forums for the lengthy bitching from people about them). It was just recently that I got HDMI audio working at all on with Windows 8.1 (thanks to bios updates and realizing that the audio sometimes won't work when the computer is turned on after the tv and receiver).
Unfortunately the audio driver is reporting it can only do LPCM 2.0 so no 5.1

However in certain situations this can be due to the properties of the TV being reported rather than those of the AVR. Is audio terminated in the AVR? it not passed through the AVR to the TV? Make sure anything related to HDMI audio, control or standby is off/disabled in the AVR.
I have the TV audio off, so I think the answer is that it's terminated in the AVR. I really don't want to turn off HDMI audio on the AVR. It is too much of a hassle to change that back and forth.
(2014-01-22, 00:13)ss4johnny Wrote: @bluray
The videos play fine on VLC regardless of the system. It's only behind the AVR on the Windows 8.1 HTPC using XBMC that I'm having an issue.
Trust me when I tell you that I have had the latest Intel drivers. I have had all kinds of problems with them and Windows 8.1 (you can check the intel support forums for the lengthy bitching from people about them). It was just recently that I got HDMI audio working at all on with Windows 8.1 (thanks to bios updates and realizing that the audio sometimes won't work when the computer is turned on after the tv and receiver).
If Dolby Digital 5.1 show up fine on AVR using VLC, Windows and hardware side of thing should be fine then. Your issues are lying on XBMC 12.3 side then.....

I have been trying to break the audio on Surface Pro with Windows 8.1, XBMC 12.3 and Onkyo NR809, but I haven't find a way to mimic your problem. XBMC and NR809 seems to bitstream, decode and process DD 5.1 fine.....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI Audio and Dolby Digital0