Caveat regarding socket FM2 and A6-5400k if upgrading and using xbmcbuntu
(2012-10-14, 06:04)teeedubb Wrote:
(2012-10-14, 03:05)truthlesshero Wrote: Yes I am upset, as my first post shows, but you would be too if you lost everything because of linux's shortcomings, especially when you don't know about them.

So yeah, calm down.

You lost everything because of YOUR shortcomings. Did you think to do a backup before you replaced the motherboard and cpu? Probably would have taken less time than typing up your rant.

Yes, a backup would have been nice but I have replaced the motherboard and cpu a thousand times before and never had this problem.. So yes, that is on me.. That doesn't mean that there aren't shortcomings...

(2012-10-14, 08:05)wsnipex Wrote: you could try this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141369

its using the latest ubuntu, incl the very latest fglrx with a scripted install. should be easy to get going.

Thanks wsnipex.. I will try it out... At least you are trying to help out and I appreciate it

(2012-10-14, 08:58)fritsch Wrote: @truthlesshero:

Could you please change the topic title? It is really hard to damn a whole hardware set, cause of you not able to install / upgrade a graphics driver. There is linux support for this hardware, but linux is nothing for everybody.

If you reinstall it and need help on upgrading the graphics driver, join #xbmc-xvba on freenode.

Please change the title of this thread into: Problem installing latest graphics driver on XYZ whatever.

I did not try to install or upgrade the graphics driver. I tried booting into xbmc as per usual and it failed and the drive was not accessible.. So I could do nothing there.
I tried installing xbmcbuntu and the installation fails and there is no work around beyond installing ubuntu then xbmc.. Which is not what I want.. I'd rather not install an Os then xbmc.. If I will, ill do bluray's suggestion and go for Windows and xbmc. My topic is not inaccurate right now and I will try wsnipex's suggestion to see if it's any better
I think some of you are losing sight that xbmc (and xbmcbuntu) is not only for the elite. Regular people should be allowed to use it and comment on the frustration that they (we) encounter. To say that it is all my fault is incredibly shortsighted and naive.
I know there are some petty fights that happen on these boards sometimes and usually bit is a matter of opinion.. But to completely dismiss someone because your Os of choice does not work like others (not better or worse, different) then I think you should reconsider handing out your "advice"

(2012-10-14, 15:37)truthlesshero Wrote: Are you having problems understanding me?
I didn't say that it was anywhere near xbmc's "fault".. I said that I hate how Linux and ubuntu does not work so easily.
I can't make a backup because it won't boot at all. It does NOT install because it hangs when trying to load the fallback graphics device driver.. So the only solution is to install ubuntu then install xbmc, which is not at all what I would like to do..
So to sum up.. Openelec will install and work and xbmcbuntu does not.
The developers for everything in xbmc ate amazing.. I have been using xbmp (yes p) since the beginning.. On the original xbox. I have always been amazed by the functionality, etc. Nothing is perfect but it works great so the troubles with this cpu is not" blamed" on anyone;if anything it just shows the shortcomings of Linux and ubuntu.

There are no "shortcomings"... the only problem is that you are not "versed" enough to set up the system. You could ask someone to help you but not post a thread in which you "warn" people to avoid that hardware. There is NO REASON to avoid this hardware as long as you are able to set up a system.
(2012-10-14, 15:54)truthlesshero Wrote: I did not try to install or upgrade the graphics driver. I tried booting into xbmc as per usual and it failed and the drive was not accessible.. So I could do nothing there.
I tried installing xbmcbuntu and the installation fails and there is no work around beyond installing ubuntu then xbmc.. Which is not what I want.. I'd rather not install an Os then xbmc.. If I will, ill do bluray's suggestion and go for Windows and xbmc. My topic is not inaccurate right now and I will try wsnipex's suggestion to see if it's any better
I think some of you are losing sight that xbmc (and xbmcbuntu) is not only for the elite. Regular people should be allowed to use it and comment on the frustration that they (we) encounter. To say that it is all my fault is incredibly shortsighted and naive.
I know there are some petty fights that happen on these boards sometimes and usually bit is a matter of opinion.. But to completely dismiss someone because your Os of choice does not work like others (not better or worse, different) then I think you should reconsider handing out your "advice"

Are you serious? You are buying a hardware released a few days ago and complaining about that a precompiled ubuntu does not install proper? You are very very funny... your replys are telling that a discussion with you is impossible so for me --> EOD !!!
People need to stop feeding the troll^H^H^H^H^H...uh I mean OP.
wow, well, i thought overall, xbmc boards were pretty helpful (and most members are) and civil and although i went into the discussion angry as well, some have shown a bit more elitism as it is
xda had the exact same problem for a while...people who really knew what they were doing but frowned upon people who didn't do things the way they do them

i'm not trolling, i'm not doing anything...i'm just saying that you cannot install xbmcbuntu straight up with this hardware because it fails. Even you, john.cord, acknowledge the hardware is new...i say this from the very beginning; the problem is that other OS' or installations of OS', such as windows, will install and work regardless of it recognizes the hardware...that was the problem from the beginning
it is not "my" shortcoming...it is just the way it works..now if you want to try to bash me as whatever for not wanting to go the installation of ubuntu, then xbmc, that's fine

i'm not saying people should avoid the hardware completely; i'm just saying that the standard version and installation of xbmcbuntu does not install with this hardware for all the reasons i mentioned

i'm not sure if it's because you're acting like a 14 year old or that you really do not understand the message i'm sending across
my OP is not an attack on anyone using linux or ubuntu or ANYTHING; it is merely a statement of observations...and i know some "computer elitists" won't like that, but it's true

anyway, i'm done with this conversation and comment on wsnipex's HELPFUL suggestion

yes, it does work, so that is a workaround of sorts...like i mentioned earlier, i just wanted to avoid installing an OS, then xbmc.... but I guess in the end, this does the exact same work as either openelec or xbmcbuntu, but in a minimalistic way...so i'll go with user preference into which xbmc i want to run...thanks again, i appreciate it.
So, you complain that a version of Linux that's very stripped down and specialized will not install on your bleeding edge hardware, also stating that you don't want to install an OS then XBMC on top of it, yet you mention that maybe you'll just install Windows? That would entail installing an OS and then XBMC on top of it. I'm not following your logic, nor your supposed complaint. About a half hour of searching and reading would have shown you how to install a minimal Ubuntu installation, then XBMC, and then a way to make it boot directly into XBMC with not that much effort.

This has nothing to do with Linux being any more or less plug and play than Windows. Had you tried to replace a motherboard and processor in a fixed Windows installation with something with no built in driver support, it would not have booted, just like your XBMCbuntu trial. The re-installation of XBMCbuntu failed because of the newness of your hardware vs the fixed nature of the XBMCbuntu install. This has nothing to do with Linux, and everything to do with incorrect user expectations.

Drop in mobo and processor upgrades do not always go smoothly, even in the Windows world. While I'm glad you got things worked out, your threat title was misleading, and the amount of animosity you showed toward people that posted showed not the supposed elitism of the other members, rather your stubbornness to admit, that the problem was, in fact, your doing.
(2012-10-14, 18:56)pumkinut Wrote: So, you complain that a version of Linux that's very stripped down and specialized will not install on your bleeding edge hardware, also stating that you don't want to install an OS then XBMC on top of it, yet you mention that maybe you'll just install Windows? That would entail installing an OS and then XBMC on top of it. I'm not following your logic, nor your supposed complaint. About a half hour of searching and reading would have shown you how to install a minimal Ubuntu installation, then XBMC, and then a way to make it boot directly into XBMC with not that much effort.

This has nothing to do with Linux being any more or less plug and play than Windows. Had you tried to replace a motherboard and processor in a fixed Windows installation with something with no built in driver support, it would not have booted, just like your XBMCbuntu trial. The re-installation of XBMCbuntu failed because of the newness of your hardware vs the fixed nature of the XBMCbuntu install. This has nothing to do with Linux, and everything to do with incorrect user expectations.

Drop in mobo and processor upgrades do not always go smoothly, even in the Windows world. While I'm glad you got things worked out, your threat title was misleading, and the amount of animosity you showed toward people that posted showed not the supposed elitism of the other members, rather your stubbornness to admit, that the problem was, in fact, your doing.

At least you were able to discuss things in a civil matter. Most of this is what I said, just in a different way. I mentioned just going to windows with xbmc instead of ubuntu with xbmc because if i am to choose to install an OS then xbmc, i'd rather windows as it is more compatible with all the "extras" xbmc can do.
I have installed windows on bleeding edge hardware multiple times and never encountered a situation where the system simply refused to boot, even stripped down version of windows. However, I have encountered problems with drivers and things before; that's definitely true...and usually there is a workaround or something of the sort just like there usually is in ubuntu. It took me weeks to get everything i wanted to work to work in xbmcbuntu...not because of the trouble with xbmcbuntu, but because unless you are knowledgeable in ubuntu, which i am not, everything is much harder, so at this point, i'd rather stick with windows.
I don't bash any system, I don't say any system is worse than the other; i just mention one drawback...just like windows' overhead is a huge drawback on its part. "Incorrect user expectations" is the equivalent of apple telling their users about their iphone "you're using it wrong" when their direct competition can do the exact thing i'm looking for. My title is not threatening; it is a head's up for anyone in my situation. I didn't show animosity towards people until they bashed me for saying something negative about ubuntu. That's the whole situation. I just have not seen that type of, yes, "elitist" talk in a long time, and never on these forums, despite seeing disagreements that others members have had with each other.

edit: i changed the title to make it sound...err, friendlier
@truthlesshero:
Thx. There is stil the offer to come to #xbmc-xvba and get a helping hand. When you get it to work, you can start a new thread with: "Howto get the FM2 ... working with xbmc and linux"

So have a nice and friendly week :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2012-10-15, 08:31)fritsch Wrote: @truthlesshero:
Thx. There is stil the offer to come to #xbmc-xvba and get a helping hand. When you get it to work, you can start a new thread with: "Howto get the FM2 ... working with xbmc and linux"

So have a nice and friendly week :-)

haha, sounds good...one of these days where i have some time off, i'll sit down and work on it...but with how quickly people work, i'm sure someone will have beaten me to it =-P

thanks though

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Caveat regarding socket FM2 and A6-5400k if upgrading and using xbmcbuntu0