Release [MOD] AniDB.net scrapers for TV shows and Movies
This is my opinion on seasons:

1. It would be reeeaaalllly hard to do using just the data from AniDB. This is the main blocker, if it was easy, I'd likely do it as an option even though I disagree with it. You'd have to navigate up and down the relationship tree, find the "first" season and then increment the seasons upward from there - paying careful attention to things like inter-season movies/OVAs (which would have to be ignored in the count). That would be very tricky to do (even just "incrementing" is hard with scraper-logic), and then you might have branching sequels...

And that doesn't even take into account what to do with special episodes, which would overlap like crazy...

And the biggest killer would be the impact on AniDB, since you'd have to snatch each potential season's data every time you add an episode. That would be a quick road to Ban Town without adding delays (which would then slow everything to a crawl).

2. "So what about using the mapping list?" The mapping list contains a defaulttvdbseason for each series. You could take the tvdbid from the series, find all the other series with the same id and then get the data just from them and assign each of them the season number from their own defaulttvdbseason and/or individual mapping. You'd still have the issue of polling AniDB too quickly to deal with, but it would be easier code-wise...

My issue there is, if you want to use the season numbering from TVDB, why bother using AniDB in the first place? Just use the TVDB scraper.

You can always make URL .nfos (or mixed .nfos) that point to the show's TVDB page, even in an AniDB-scraped source, and the TVDB scraper will be used instead for just that show. (Or vice versa, AniDB URLs in a TVDB-scraped source - although you may need to uninstall the un-modded scraper to ensure the Mod gets used.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: [RELEASE] [MOD] AniDB.net scrapers for TV shows and Movies - by scudlee - 2013-07-01, 11:36
RE: - by scudlee - 2013-10-12, 17:42
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MOD] AniDB.net scrapers for TV shows and Movies8