Central database (or understanding XBMC direction and features implentation)
gibxxi,

Your NAS device can handle XBMC and an army of ready nas plug-ins. If it couldn't handle Plex then Plex is doing something really stupid (which would not surprise me at all). Wimpy ARM processors can do everything a ReadyNAS can do and more, plus run XBMC (a full version of XBMC, with the GUI), so there's no way those Intel Atom processors can't also do it. It's not hacky, it's not complicated.

Not only this, but you guys don't even know that much about UPnP. There are so many possibilities and options just within the UPnP protocol, let alone adding XBMC specific stuff into the mix like JSON-RPC.

So here's what's happening: one day we will murder MySQL in the streets and film it. That's happening, no if's, and's or but's. We will replace it with something better. The people who are doing this are the people who brought you the XBMC you know and love, so have a little faith in them.
(2012-11-19, 03:01)Ned Scott Wrote: gibxxi,

Your NAS device can handle XBMC and an army of ready nas plug-ins. If it couldn't handle Plex then Plex is doing something really stupid (which would not surprise me at all). Wimpy ARM processors can do everything a ReadyNAS can do and more, plus run XBMC (a full version of XBMC, with the GUI), so there's no way those Intel Atom processors can't also do it. It's not hacky, it's not complicated.

Not only this, but you guys don't even know that much about UPnP. There are so many possibilities and options just within the UPnP protocol, let alone adding XBMC specific stuff into the mix like JSON-RPC.

So here's what's happening: one day we will murder MySQL in the streets and film it. That's happening, no if's, and's or but's. We will replace it with something better. The people who are doing this are the people who brought you the XBMC you know and love, so have a little faith in them.

Im very confident in that the developers will do what is best, and from what I can see upnp is the way to go for "user convenience". Just abit worried that the "headless" guys wont make good use of this cause of XBMC requiring a GUI to run(?) Smile
XBMC can run without a GUI. It's still early in support/development, but people actually have headless XBMC versions running now: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132919

(2012-11-19, 03:01)Ned Scott Wrote: gibxxi,

So long as it can run on a NAS, I'm all for it. My only experience with UPnP was with PlayOn through my Xbox360 and it didn't work well. It was generally for transcoding, I didn't realize it was more versatile. If you say it will work better, that's great. I think it wasn't clearly stated in the Blogs how this would replace MySQL and why it would be better. Prior to your comments my previous understanding of UPnP was that a full fledged machine need to be on.
Frodo Win 8 Pro x64
Fractal Design Node 605 (looks amazing)
i5 3570K, Asus P8Z77V LK
2x80GB Intel 320 SSD, 4TB NAS
GTX 670x2 SLI, 16GB GSkill Ares
Onkyo RC360 with Paradigm piece-by-piece 5.1 build
Nyxboard and AHK full controlled via XBox Controller
(2012-11-19, 10:53)Ned Scott Wrote: XBMC can run without a GUI. It's still early in support/development, but people actually have headless XBMC versions running now: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132919

Yup I know ( http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1240076 )

But thats not official support, and one values that more (no offence to the guys in the thread in question)
It's nice that we've already got things to shoot for in XBMC Ganymede (or whatever we end up calling it).
@ natethomas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bib...ing_with_G

Since XBMC was naming releases based on biblical stuff

Offtopic I know but I wanted to bring that list to your attention.

uNi
I'm intrigued at the sunday school where you learnt all about Atlantis, Camelot, and Dharma :p
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

There was a Babylon 9.04 - that's biblical, Probably what I had in my head when I posted that.

But for G in the same lines as the releases you mentioned. Mythological places and whatnot then maybe Gihon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:My...cal_rivers

Atlantis
Babylon
Camelot
Dharma
Eden
Frodo
Gihon

I never had Sunday school, ;p hehehe.

uNi
(2012-11-16, 21:12)tjcinnamon Wrote:
(2012-10-16, 13:20)Ned Scott Wrote: v12 now handles thumb sync automatically. We're also headed in the direction of a MySQL replacement (most likely in the forum of the evolved UPnP server) that will be a lot easier than how MySQL is set up now. Basically, all the same features, but where any XBMC instance can become the server itself, and other XBMC instances can automatically discover that server. That's the direction we're working towards now.

Library sharing over UPnP is a feature now, actually, but lacks the ability to share watched and resume statuses and integrate with the internal library. It's still not a bad option, and loads easier than setting up MySQL. It's just that a lot of people don't seem to know about the feature.

If UPnP plans on taking over MySQL how will that work with a NAS. I like MySQL because it can be hosted on a NAS and I don't need host computer that needs to be left on.

[..deleted..]
No mysql!
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Well there IS a SDK available for packaging add-ons for the ReadyNAS in a way that they can be administered directly from the NAS Frontview UI. My Referall to "hackery" was not in ANY way deriding the XBMC software or the way it's programmed.

However, while Netgear make excellent hardware, the same can't always be said for software they place on these devices. As a lot of people who've ever owned anything by Netgear (not just a ReadyNAS) will tell you.

The version of Linux on the ReadyNAS Ultra is Sarge/Etch. Old enough to cause issues with software that requires later libraries. And it's not simply just a case in "set-it-and-forget-it". It requires SSH'ing into the box and manipulating the system directly, which may (or may not) have other consequences.

An add-on developer on the ReadyNAS forums may package up a future version of XBMC for use with the NAS, and if he/she doesn't I'll look at it myself. If ultimately I fail in this, I'll do things differently. I just don't see the need to pull something that isn't a risk in the first place.

I came from MCE, via MediaPortal. XBMC is and always WILL be the first choice of media center for me. And I do know what I'm doing with my hardware, having been doing PC work for 18 years. It's just slightly unnerving to have to start doing things that are potentially dangerous to your primary data store. But I have other plans in motion which may see me secure a second NAS unit dedicated to the HTPC setup i'm running, so this might not be such an issue as originally thought.
(2012-11-21, 21:12)Martijn Wrote: No mysql!

To keep on topic, with this you confirm that mysql has been dropped from the roadmap?
I am not sure if this is good or bad but I planned to move to mysql with Frodo and I will NOT do that if you will drop it.
(2012-11-22, 08:11)vikjon0 Wrote:
(2012-11-21, 21:12)Martijn Wrote: No mysql!

To keep on topic, with this you confirm that mysql has been dropped from the roadmap?
I am not sure if this is good or bad but I planned to move to mysql with Frodo and I will NOT do that if you will drop it.

It will still be there in Frodo and will be there until there is a replacement.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
If XBMC were to become the de-facto UPnP server on commercial NAS would be a great thing, might help clean up the mess of DLNA devices too if it's the server companies test their products against. NAS makers could also save themselves a bit of money by not having to license commercial software that does this or their customers having to mess with custom UPnP/DLNA servers.

QNAP announced on their forums they will be doing a build of XBMC for their x86 NAS following Thecus who also have a version, these models have a HDMI output so you can get video from them but hopefully they can be persuaded once everything is in place to adopt is as the media server out of the box on all their models.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Central database (or understanding XBMC direction and features implentation)0