Unraid Nas (do over)
(2012-11-04, 02:33)Harro Wrote: Just an update, I have finished building my new unraid server and am in the process of pre clearing the drives. So far so good.

Parts list.
MB Asrock H77 Pro4-M 89.99
Norco SS-500 Hot Swap Rack Moduke 3 x ($89.99) $269.97
Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCI Express x4 2 x ($109.99) $219.98
Rosewell 550 Certified Modular PSU 1 x ($84.99)
Kingston 16 GB (4x4GB) 240 DDR3 SDRAM Memory 1 x ($69.99)
Intel Celeron G530 1 x ($48.99)
Western Digital 3 TB For Parity 1 x ($179.99)
Western Digital 320 GB 7200 RPM for Cache 1 x ($64.99)
I had the Cooler Master 590 Case.
Cooling is taken care of by the 3-80 Norco fans and 2-140 fans on the top and a 120 fan in the rear. All side vents have been sealed.
So far running preclear all temps seem good.

Hi Harro, I'm about to take the plunge and make a similar server to yours but I have a question on the parts list;

1. What types of cables to you have to buy with this? The same as eskro has in the first post? Just want to make sure that whatever I order, everything will be in the box that I need, thanks!
2. For Unraid, if I plan on having 4TB drives in the future, do I need to have a 4TB drive as a parity drive?

Your setup looks sweet BTW

Tom
Yes, your parity drive needs to be as large as, or larger, than the largest drive you will use in your array. If you want 4TB drives in the future, then you need a 4TB drive. I just replaced my 3TB parity drive with a 4TB and moved the 3TB drive to my array. That is always an option for you in the future if you want to start with smaller drives now.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

(2013-04-15, 20:04)Chambers Wrote: Hi Harro, I'm about to take the plunge and make a similar server to yours but I have a question on the parts list;

1. What types of cables to you have to buy with this? The same as eskro has in the first post? Just want to make sure that whatever I order, everything will be in the box that I need, thanks!
2. For Unraid, if I plan on having 4TB drives in the future, do I need to have a 4TB drive as a parity drive?

Your setup looks sweet BTW

Tom

The cable that esko list's are fine , just make sure you get ones that are long enough for all the connections. I had used These Breakout cables and had spare cables from other builds laying around.
All I can say after having this running non stop is that it has been "Flawless"

Good luck and PM me if you need extra help.
@Harro - do you have some kind of battery back up (UPS) for this - if so what is it and on a side note how much wattage is it using at peak (with all drives spun up) , it looks like a nice set up.
Reason I ask is I have a similar set up (15 bay unraid server - no drives in it atm - will be going with 3tb wd reds) - and was wondering what UPS you favour (if any)
Check out my Fanart.tv stuff!
...........I also accept disc requests if image not on fanart.tv database !!!!
(2014-02-01, 16:53)leepenny Wrote: @Harro - do you have some kind of battery back up (UPS) for this - if so what is it and on a side note how much wattage is it using at peak (with all drives spun up) , it looks like a nice set up.
Reason I ask is I have a similar set up (15 bay unraid server - no drives in it atm - will be going with 3tb wd reds) - and was wondering what UPS you favour (if any)

I have two battery back ups running in my office for all the computers, security cams, electronic doors, and my unraid server. I have been using APC 1500 and have not lost anything in over 2 years. I have never really check the wattage on the server since my company pays the electric but with the server, my dvr for cameras, internet routers, modems, phone exchange and another computer on 1 APC, I still have about 60 -90 minutes of battery backup before it will shut down everything softly. I have been very pleased with it (APC). I can't imagine my Unraid server is drawing all that much power since most of the time the drives are spun down, well except during my once a month parity check and when I get into the house to stream files to my HTPC's. I will be upgrading the cpu this year for better performance with Plex media server I have running on it but that will be it until I start replacing drives to the 4 TB drives.

Throw some pics up I would love to see your server.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v1v1n4rvclaprtm/CgaL8f1ea1#/
not the best pics - will edit in some specs - when at pc (on htpc atm)
Are those the Norco 5x3 hot swappables in there?
No sure if you will need the side fans as I closed off mine and have a pretty steady 27 - 32 degree c temp on all drives, without the side fans.
I like it , Great JoB
yeah side fan isnt connected now - I also swapped the fans in the 5x3's for silent ones - atm with no discs in is quieter than my htpc LOL
I got these hot swaps
http://www.xcase.co.uk/component-parts/s...d-2-5.html

look like rebranded norcos
I was going to warn you otherwise that the fans in the Norco are loud and to switch them out. I never did since the server is in my office in a enclosed area, so the noise doesn't bother me. Smile
hehe - I did a little research before - but did test them with the originals - no brainer - well worth changing the fans - although when finished it will go in the spare room rather than the living room so noise shouldnt be a problem.
I havent delved much into UPS's so was picking your brains slightly - hehe
I'm going to whack some drives in soon and check the wattage so I can get the correct UPS you see - also read about buzzing noise from the ups if not producing a pure sine wave (something specific to the corsair modular psu i'm using) - any thoughts ?
I haven't heard of that problem but the APC I use has a line regulator on it for keep the voltage constant. So on wide range of inconsistency of the voltage go in. Don't know if that would help or not.
Harro - just a quick question after reading through your build. I currently have an unraid server running 5.0.6 and I am researching to take the plunge to go up to unraid 6. I was questioning whether I should be upgrading the CPU (I currently have a Celeron G1610) - you mentioned about upgrading your CPU to gain better performance for the Plex server you have loaded onto the unraid box. I am running it as a Plex server as well - just wondering what type of performance limitations were you experiencing to make you consider upgrading the CPU?
I have finally upgraded my server to i believe the final motherboard and CPU. 
I have gone with server grade stuff. Motherboard AsRock Rack E3C246D4U
CPU Intel Xeon E-2288G
Ram 64 Gig Hynix ECC RAM
NVMe SSD Samsung 128gb
SSD drive  SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 500GB
My PSU is a 750 silverstone 80+ complete module
My case is still the same as original post.
Here is my GUI.
15 data drives, 2 parity drives, 150 TB of storage running between 5-15 dockers, no VM's yet but plan on it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unraid Nas (do over)1